Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opening Trunk when doors locked (proximity sensor for fob/phone?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't use my phone as a key, and just use the Tesla fob. I noticed that I cannot open the trunk when my doors are locked. Even when I manually open the front door (which seems to have a proximity sensor for my fob), the trunk can't be opened with the button on the trunk itself.

I have to unlock all of the doors (I think... but I don't recall this working all the time) or use the fob itself to open the trunk.

Car is a 2022 M3LR.

Has anyone else encountered this behavior with the trunk? Maybe I am just used to my Fords that have proximity sensors to detect my fob to open the trunk or passenger front door (or with my Fusion, any of the 4 doors and trunk).

I've been meaning to ask about this but it always slipped my mind.

Check your settings. I have mine setup to unlock only the driver side door. To unlock the other doors and trunk I have to unlock from the screen, or from my phone tesla app, or press and hold down the driver side door unlock button for at least 3 seconds. I have it setup like this so someone from the outside can't open any of the other doors when I get close to my car.

"You can choose to unlock only the driver's door when you approach your vehicle carrying your key fob. To do so, touch Controls > Vehicle > Driver Door Unlock Mode. To unlock the remaining doors, use the touchscreen or press the key fob a second time."

Reactions: android04
Check your settings. I have mine setup to unlock only the driver side door. To unlock the other doors and trunk I have to unlock from the screen, or from my phone tesla app, or press and hold down the driver side door unlock button for at least 3 seconds. I have it setup like this so someone from the outside can't open any of the other doors when I get close to my car.

"You can choose to unlock only the driver's door when you approach your vehicle carrying your key fob. To do so, touch Controls > Vehicle > Driver Door Unlock Mode. To unlock the remaining doors, use the touchscreen or press the key fob a second time."

Yes I have Drive Door Unlock Mode on as well for the same reason you mentioned, but with my Ford I can still keep my fob on me and open the passenger door(s) and trunk without touching a button or unlocking anything. Its just when I grab my driver's door handle none of the other doors unlock.

So on my M3LR I just went and did some testing, I have to double-press the key fob TWICE to unlock my other doors/trunk from the outside.
If I double press it one time (basically two presses) the interior screen turns on, exterior lights are on, but I cannot open the other doors or the trunk.
If I double press a second time (4 pressed total now) everything else unlocks.

I felt the Phone Key was sapping my iPhone battery faster than normal. I'm not sure if it was my imagination but Bluetooth devices seem to use more power even on standby.
If the iOS settings for the Tesla app have Location set to Always, try changing it to While Using. Not sure how much of a difference that will make.

Check the iOS Battery setting to see which apps are using battery.

If the iOS settings for the Tesla app have Location set to Always, try changing it to While Using. Not sure how much of a difference that will make.

Check the iOS Battery setting to see which apps are using battery.

I don't think the Tesla app itself was using the battery power, its the Bluetooth on standby. My understanding is that you didn't need the app open to use the phone as a key? Maybe I am wrong. I know with my Apple Watch and Garmin Forerunner 935 connected all the time via Bluetooth, my iPhone SE battery life isn't as great as it was without any devices.

I don't think the Tesla app itself was using the battery power, its the Bluetooth on standby. My understanding is that you didn't need the app open to use the phone as a key? Maybe I am wrong. I know with my Apple Watch and Garmin Forerunner 935 connected all the time via Bluetooth, my iPhone SE battery life isn't as great as it was without any devices.
It’s my understanding that the app has to be running, background or foreground, for the phone key to work, but it’s possible Tesla tweaked the design. You don’t have to explicitly open the app to use the phone key.

So if you're using the phone key, you can keep the doors locked and just open the trunk by walking up to it and pushing the button the trunk?
The phone key shouldn't change how things operate. The problem is you have Drive Door Unlock Mode enabled. Do not refer to how your other cars work, as Tesla never designs referencing other cars. As per manual this is how it works:

"Enabling Controls > Locks > Driver Door Unlock Mode only unlocks the driver door when you first unlock Model 3. The driver door unlocks only if a key is present on the driver side of the vehicle and not the passenger side. To unlock the remaining doors, long press the button located at the top of the interior driver door handle, use the touchscreen, mobile app or press the key fob a second time."

The phone key shouldn't change how things operate. The problem is you have Drive Door Unlock Mode enabled. Do not refer to how your other cars work, as Tesla never designs referencing other cars. As per manual this is how it works:

"Enabling Controls > Locks > Driver Door Unlock Mode only unlocks the driver door when you first unlock Model 3. The driver door unlocks only if a key is present on the driver side of the vehicle and not the passenger side. To unlock the remaining doors, long press the button located at the top of the interior driver door handle, use the touchscreen, mobile app or press the key fob a second time."

I have to press the unlock button on the fob 4 times to get the other doors and to be able to open the trunk. Basically two sets of double clicks. Is this normal for the fob?

Just did some testing with my car. Driver’s door unlock mode is the problem. Yes it’s stupid.

With drivers door unlock mode ON, passive entry only works with the drivers door, regardless of key fob or phone key.

Double clicking the fob trunk button or opening trunk via the phone app can still open trunk without unlocking other doors first.

But if you just want to be able to walk up to the trunk and open it from the trunk handle, you have to turn drivers door unlock mode OFF.

I have to press the unlock button on the fob 4 times to get the other doors and to be able to open the trunk. Basically two sets of double clicks. Is this normal for the fob?
Yes because you have drivers door unlock mode on. First two clicks unlocks the drivers door. Second two clicks unlocks everything else.

If you want to unlock everything with only two clicks you have to turn drivers door unlock mode off.

Ah! Now I undsrstand!

So with DDU disabled, if I grab my drivers door do all the other doors unlock at the same time?
Yes. Any door will be able to open when a phone key or fob is nearby. The drivers door doesn’t have to be opened first. Even if the fob is with you at the drivers side, the passenger will be able to open the door before you if they want.

If you want to be technical, the doors don’t really have a “locked” or “unlocked” state since the latches are all electronic. It’s just whether the computer allows the door latch to release or not. With drivers door unlock disabled, all doors and the trunk are allowed to open when a key is detected nearby.

Last edited:
Reactions: metroplex
Yes. Any door will be able to open when a phone key or fob is nearby. The drivers door doesn’t have to be opened first. Even if the fob is with you at the drivers side, the passenger will be able to open the door before you if they want.
OK. Thanks for breaking everything down. Sounds like I want to keep DDU enabled but now have a better understanding of what's going on.