Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OpenPilot, comma.ai and George Hotz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m currently running Openpilot 0.5 on my Model S. It’s similar to autopilot 1. It’s not very good if the road lines aren’t painted well or if the road is very twisty (neither is Autopilot) but it’s pretty good on most highways. Check out these links. I’m in the Tampa Bay Area if anyone wants to check out my setup. I’m also considering doing installs and selling wiring harnesses. Let me know if there is any interest.

-Ryan

I’m currently running Openpilot 0.5 on my Model S. It’s similar to autopilot 1. It’s not very good if the road lines aren’t painted well or if the road is very twisty (neither is Autopilot) but it’s pretty good on most highways. Check out these links. I’m in the Tampa Bay Area if anyone wants to check out my setup. I’m also considering doing installs and selling wiring harnesses. Let me know if there is any interest.

-Ryan

I'd be interested in trying this. I know it interfaces with the ODB2 port. Is there a manufactured solution for the plug?

-Ryan

There is not a manufactured solution but I can make custom harnesses for your car. What year and model do you have. If it’s a 2013 I need the month of manufacture as well.
Hi Ryan- would be interested in the comma ai harness you’ve developed- how do I get in touch ?

sorry to necro... but the internet is a bit sparse on this one. what's the status of TACC on this? (and braking). I'm willing to install a radar in my car but I don't know where OpenPilot is with speed control in pre AP MS's these days.

We just recently got radar integration! Join our Discord channel, the last few months have been a lot of updates and features. So much at I decided to install after seeing all the awesome progress!
Wow that is incredible news. What would be amazing is if it could pull it off without root.... which discord channel is it? I found one called #tesla as part of comma.ai's discord, it I couldn't make heads or tales of what was going on. Is there a specific for tesla MS?

Reactions: SmartElectric
Wow that is incredible news. What would be amazing is if it could pull it off without root.... which discord channel is it? I found one called #tesla as part of comma.ai's discord, it I couldn't make heads or tales of what was going on. Is there a specific for tesla MS?

Yes that's the one. OP works without root.

Sorry there has been a lot of chatter later, big developments and brain storming.

Just say hi and ask for help.

I apologize for being away so long I recently moved from Florida to Wisconsin. The good news is I have started selling openpilot wiring harnesses on ebay. This harness has connectors installed which allows for comma pedal and AP1 radar implementation if you choose to go that route. You can find the harness for sale at the link below. I only have 3 harnesses listed right now, but I'll have more in the future along with how to videos, Tesla Pedal modules, and AP1 radar installation kits.

Tesla Openpilot/EPAS bypass wiring harness for level 2 self driving | eBay

I apologize for being away so long I recently moved from Florida to Wisconsin. The good news is I have started selling openpilot wiring harnesses on ebay. This harness has connectors installed which allows for comma pedal and AP1 radar implementation if you choose to go that route. You can find the harness for sale at the link below. I only have 3 harnesses listed right now, but I'll have more in the future along with how to videos, Tesla Pedal modules, and AP1 radar installation kits.

Tesla Openpilot/EPAS bypass wiring harness for level 2 self driving | eBay

Can you give me a list of items to buy with links on which items to get? For the Panda, there are two diff types. One seems to be wifi for $99 and another is $199. Which one should I be getting to use with your wiring harness?

My S is PERFECT. I love it but wish it had some level of autopilot otherwise I may have to sell it to get one with AP1.

With V10, it's gonna be hard to look at ANY other car with lane centering. It's really getting unbelievable how good it is.

Just don't look at it with the expectation that it will be out here driving alone any time soon. There are still LOTS of situations where a car is just better with a driver.

Unlike the first year of driving the Model 3, I can leave the driving to it in any situation where there are no Stop lights or signs. I'll just come along for the ride and be there if a problem happens. Only one big trip with V10, but it no longer screams around turns and panics over rises where it cannot see the other side. Changes lanes better, even slightly cuts people off to get in front of them rather than be stuck in the original lane all day.

I originally thought I would follow the path of upgrading a used original Tesla, but I think buying the Model 3 new when it first came out has been the better and cheaper option.

Yes, AP3 in a 3 is nice. But if you need to fit 7 in a car, you would have to buy 2 3's or a new S with ap3, which cost a lot more. I also totally agree it's better, no debate about that. OP is not perfect, we also currently have a "phone" to remove off the windshield. But sometimes we just have to work with what we have ;) Nice job @Flyboyn222pa!

Also I do recommend everyone buy a 3, S, or X with AP1, 2 or 3. However some people have to work with what they have, and OP offers a lot starting with $1K of hardware and a little install time, and for 1K you get a pretty decent assistance IMO, and should spend a bit more to add radar and pdl if you want much improved functionality.