Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OpenStreetMaps and Smart Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone verified that updating open street maps helps summons?

I don't think the car uses openstreetmaps at all, the map details that I see on both car screen and phone app looks to be Google maps, not openstreetmaps.

The biggest problem with both the car screen, and the phone screen is they pull data from a different map provider than the maps the car itself uses.

You can test this by simply going out of cellular range. The car still navigate so obviously it's getting data from somewhere, but it's unable to show any data.

This being the Internet, I'm probably here just to complain about something. This being the Internet, here I go.

Some time back, my summons started failing with the "Unable to drive on public roads" error. Being in the middle of a parking lot, this was mysterious. Research ensued, leading me into the OpenStreetMap universe. I investigated, and found that the lane adjacent (but not connected to) my parking lot was marked as public. So, after checking the city's GIS maps and verifying that it was on private property, I made an edit. An hour or so later, I tried a summon and voila! It worked! My position as an Internet Influencer was secure.

Fame is fleeting however, and very soon thereafter, the summons resumed failing with the same message. I checked OSM to see if my edit was still there and it was. I understand there are a variety of map sources and I'm wondering if OSM has been bumped down in priority, because the lane in question still shows as a roadway on the nav display. This is not an entirely satisfactory explanation though, because again, my lot is not connected in any way to the lane, so no matter what it's marked as, it should not interfere.

If you've had experience with OSM, maybe you wouldn't mind taking a look. The image I've attached shows the url which I think will get you to my location, as well as a) where I usually park (red box), b) where summon fails (red squiggle), c) where summon succeeds (green squiggle), and the usual route (blue track to blue X). The lane I edited is Mimi Lane. Thanks.

SUMMON.jpg

That looks like Tesla getting the location incorrectly. If it thinks it is on Mimi Lane, changing the map data there won't help - it would still think it has to traverse West 4th Street (or something else to the south, perhaps).
The only reasonable options I see are to ask Tesla for better GPS/location precision, and parking in the green squiggle area :)