Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Operating system update resulted in systems not working on car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the operating system update, the follow problems occurred. Regenerative braking disabled, ABS disabled, stability control disabled, steering assist reduced, tire pressure monitoring system fault. I set up a service and it isn't available for a week from now. I am not comfortable driving it. Especially during the winter. Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?

Hopefully this never happens again for you, but one thing which I’ve been told (at least by the service centers around me here) is that if something is a safety issue, you can basically drive in and they will prioritize it. I assume this has to be an actual major safety issue (like tire/wheel/steering problems, drivetrain failure etc) and not an inconvenience ppl opt to call a “safety issue”. But I think the idea is that if the car is experiencing a severe issue that makes it unsafe to drive, then in theory you should not have to wait 2 weeks for an appointment.

FWIW, if anyone else comes across this in a search, same thing happened to me today. In my case, on of the retaining tabs came loose and the tire chaffed through it. May have been from putting springs on it once, and replacing the control arm a different time. Tesla suggested I tow it there, but I could drive it. Ended up finding the wire, and separated the two wires that had chaffed through (and were shorting), and got everythign functional, again. However, I did go ahead and replace it. Parts guy said they have seen it a few times, but usually caused from road debris hitting the wire and damaging it (surprising, it is not really exposed).

I'm honestly surprised it affected some systems. ABS and traction control I completely get. Not sure why TPMS since there are sensors in wheels. No idea why it should affect power steering or power brakes......those shouldn't be dependent on wheel speed, and even if there is a variable assist, the car has 3 more speed sensors it should be able to fall back to.

Real easy fix. I spent more time soft then hard resetting the car, then on the phone with Tesla going through diagnostics than I did actually inspecting everything. Only took 5 minutes to change out once I had the part, most of that time being taking off and reinstalling the wheel.