Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Operational Mode disappeared from Tesla Android App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use Time Based control on PG&E's EV2-A rate plan. I had Peak set to 4PM-9PM and Off-Peak all other hours. This morning I just happened to notice that my Powerealls didn't power my home yesterday during the hours of 4PM-9PM. I went into the Powerwall menu and there is no longer an Operational mode to set. It just lists 50% Backup/50% Self-Powered under Backup Reserve and Grid Charging set to No.

My wife's Android phone is showing the same thing.

I also noticed that a Utility Rate Plan was no longer set so I went in and changed the rate plan back to EV2-A and deleted the mid-peak hours. However, I still don't have the option to set an Operational Mode.

What's going on?

Last edited:
FWIW, I just checked my system in the Android app (version 4.10.1-1148) and it still has the Operational Mode setting. It sounds like it might be something specific to your system unless it's a version issue. I did notice that the iOS app is on version 4.11.0-1155.

I contacted Tesla support and they agree something screwy is going on with my system. They tried resetting it on their end and I briefly had the options back but then they disappeared again. They can see when the problem started but can't figure out what commanded it that way. It had also changed my system to allow Export. They set it back to not allow export and back to Time Based control even though I can't see it on my end. They said it should run my home of the Powerwalls during the hours of 4PM-9PM now even though I can't see the option and it is telling me I'm in Self-Powered mode. We'll see....In the mean time they are working on the problem. It seems they have a big problem with the 3G going away and a lot of people that the Tesla wi-fi isn't working to monitor their systems. It sounds like that is their main priority.

Well, the Powerwalls aren't discharging during peak and there is nothing I or Tesla tech support can do about it. My Gateway reset button didn't work so they had me shut down the whole system and restart it (quite an ordeal with 2 separate solar generating systems and all the separate panels, the Powerwalls didn't shut down the first time) . They said they submitted a trouble ticket and it can be up to 14 business days before they can address it. They can't tell me whether it will be a software fix or require a site visit. In the mean time we are in a heat wave and I'm running of the grid and solar during peak hours instead of the Powerwalls.

Well, the Powerwalls aren't discharging during peak and there is nothing I or Tesla tech support can do about it. My Gateway reset button didn't work so they had me shut down the whole system and restart it (quite an ordeal with 2 separate solar generating systems and all the separate panels, the Powerwalls didn't shut down the first time) . They said they submitted a trouble ticket and it can be up to 14 business days before they can address it. They can't tell me whether it will be a software fix or require a site visit. In the mean time we are in a heat wave and I'm running of the grid and solar during peak hours instead of the Powerwalls.

Can you not just change to self powered mode manually?

Can you not just change to self powered mode manually?
Self-Powered is the only option I had but there isn't a way to get my home to run off the Powerwalls and send solar to the grid during the hours of 4PM-9PM in Self-Powered mode. I tried going Off-Grid but that cuts the solar to the grid.

However, the option for Time-Based control has returned and appears to be working correctly. I don't know if Tesla did anything to fix it or it just fixed itself. I'm hoping Tesla did something so they can do it again if the problem returns.

They should also have some kind of alert if something like this happens. I just happened to catch it, I could have gone a week or two until I discovered the problem.

Self-Powered is the only option I had but there isn't a way to get my home to run off the Powerwalls and send solar to the grid during the hours of 4PM-9PM in Self-Powered mode. I tried going Off-Grid but that cuts the solar to the grid.

However, the option for Time-Based control has returned and appears to be working correctly. I don't know if Tesla did anything to fix it or it just fixed itself. I'm hoping Tesla did something so they can do it again if the problem returns.

They should also have some kind of alert if something like this happens. I just happened to catch it, I could have gone a week or two until I discovered the problem.

I dont know the size of your install vs the power you use, but I would guess if you looked at it, you might find that, "Right now" self powered mode would fill your batteries before 4pm.

My comment was more directed at the fact that you said you were "running off the grid from 4pm to 9pm" and it was going to "be up to 14 days until someone looks at it". Rather than pulling peak energy for 14 days, you could self manage turning on self powered mode or off, or changing your self powered mode reserve.

Not idea to self manage it like that, but likely preferable to pulling peak PGE energy at those prices. I didnt know if self powered mode wasnt working for you either though, which was the genesis of the question.

I dont know the size of your install vs the power you use, but I would guess if you looked at it, you might find that, "Right now" self powered mode would fill your batteries before 4pm.

My comment was more directed at the fact that you said you were "running off the grid from 4pm to 9pm" and it was going to "be up to 14 days until someone looks at it". Rather than pulling peak energy for 14 days, you could self manage turning on self powered mode or off, or changing your self powered mode reserve.

Not idea to self manage it like that, but likely preferable to pulling peak PGE energy at those prices. I didnt know if self powered mode wasnt working for you either though, which was the genesis of the question.
My Powerwalls were 100% charged (with a 50% reserve setting) and there was nothing I could do to convince them to discharge other than going off-grid. I had decided to go off grid at 8pm since solar was effectively done and that is when I found that my Time-Based control option had returned and they were powering my home.

My Powerwalls were 100% charged and there was nothing I could do to convince them to discharge other than going off-grid. I had decided to go off grid at 8pm since solar was effectively done and that is when I found that my Time-Based control option had returned and they were powering my home.

You tried moving to self powered mode and lowering your reserve?

I only keep asking that because I dont use time based controls (because I am still on an old fashioned tiered rate that is "higher tier the more you use). Since I dont use time based control I am less familiar with it (but still fairly familiar with it from reading about it here in various threads).

I am pretty familiar with how self powered mode operates though, and there is no real "intelligence" built into that mode like algorithms etc. I was just wondering if self powered wasnt working at all, as well.

You tried moving to self powered mode and lowering your reserve?

I only keep asking that because I dont use time based controls (because I am still on an old fashioned tiered rate that is "higher tier the more you use). Since I dont use time based control I am less familiar with it (but still fairly familiar with it from reading about it here in various threads).

I am pretty familiar with how self powered mode operates though, and there is no real "intelligence" built into that mode like algorithms etc. I was just wondering if self powered wasnt working at all, as well.
There were no operational modes available to me (they completely disappeared). The only way I knew I was in Self-Powered mode (other than Tesla telling me) was because it was listed under the Backup Reserve. I tried changing the reserve percentage to se if my Operational Modes would return. The reserve changed but nothing else happened.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
There were no operational modes available to me (they completely disappeared). The only way I knew I was in Self-Powered mode (other than Tesla telling me) was because it was listed under the Backup Reserve. I tried changing the reserve percentage to se if my Operational Modes would return. The reserve changed but nothing else happened.

You did say that (no operational modes were available) at the beginning. Sorry for my lack of reading comprehension there. Glad its sorted out for you now.

Reactions: RKCRLR
I asked the Tesla tech whether Tesla did something to correct this or if it fixed itself. He said there was nothing in the notes that Tesla actively did anything to fix this. The Tesla tech said it may have been the system reset or app reinstallation. But there were hours between when these actions were performed and when the Operational modes returned. Hopefully, this doesn't happen again...