Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OPINION: Model 3 made in China better quality than USA built.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No gambling man would bet a review from that source would say otherwise. Regardless of whether it's correct or not.

Your thread title attempts to elevate an opinion to fact. Should at least have "Opinion:" in the title.

There's no need to exaggerate if it was untrue. Reviewer can skip the question or say something like "approximately the same" to save face.

It's clearly better if you know what you are looking for.

Paint coverage is complete in the interior where it is splotchy and uneven for domestics.
Charge port doors look flush
Trunk seams are aligned
Panels are tight and uniform

Regarding quality control they also need to compare GF3 cars to US 2020 models, which we've heard have better build quality and noise control than earlier models.

apart from that the video is the usual china propaganda I am sure we can all agree that the first Model 3s probably werent built that well.

All I can say that my 2019 Model 3 is built pretty well tbh. No issues with panelgaps, paint issues etc.

Mine is from late 2018, with "medium range", and the performance and cosmetic quality is spot on, except for a shallow 1 inch scratch on the trunk glass that I never cared about. I had no other to compare to, but my Model 3 was great, nothing like misaligned panels, bad paint, etc. They have probably had periods in Fremont when new workers were coming on board, making QA more difficult, and then things smooth out. But nothing a priori like the OP seems to imply.

On the contrary, one reason for this upbeat review is that all domestic market Chinese-made cars to date have been bottom of the barrel in quality for years, and that nobody in China with money would ever buy one. So Tesla has to stand out as being made in China, but not to Chinese quality standards.

I wouldn't mind some extra padding and sealing to reduce road noise, curious if on the Chinese cars they have really come up with anything -- that we could all benefit from.

Last edited:
52B55EEC-ED83-4911-A569-CECCC7BCF2F5.jpeg
Predicted this years ago and is of zero surprise to me.

2:44 mark is when the question is answered.

I hope they can eventually replace Fremont's manufacturing and import east to west.

My trunk hinge does not have the same even paint coverage as the Chinese one in the video. Mine has lots of tan primer showing through,

• Informative
Reactions: hmmwv
Quality of Made in China has to be better. China is the manufacturing powerhouse of the world. They are also leader in construction. With so much infra development. Even the Tesla factory was built in no time. I don't think Berlin could replicate that.

Have to admit I agree, much of the rest of the world could learn from some of this... though it's a high cost for the people themselves.. the country is poised to dominate ...

I’ll be honest: I don’t care how much better it is, I won’t buy a car made in China. I don’t have a choice that some parts of every car are made there but I’m not going to buy a whole car made there. Or Saudi Arabia. Or any other country that tends towards the “evil” side of the spectrum when it comes to human rights.

Ehhhhh, the big bad it's closer than you think. The Chinese are just more transparent about it :p

One of my favorite things about the Tesla is that it is designed and made in the USA supporting our economy. I will avoid any car made in China if at all possible. I'm glad Tesla is building cars in China for the Asian market, but I hope they keep their manufacturing footprint in North America as well.

...as to the OP, pardon me for not being impressed by a Chinese guy in China saying the Chinese built 3 is superior to the US built one.... Not exactly an unbiased review, nor is it based on any measurable data... just one very biased guys opinion.

One of my favorite things about the Tesla is that it is designed and made in the USA supporting our economy. I will avoid any car made in China if at all possible. I'm glad Tesla is building cars in China for the Asian market, but I hope they keep their manufacturing footprint in North America as well.

...as to the OP, pardon me for not being impressed by a Chinese guy in China saying the Chinese built 3 is superior to the US built one.... Not exactly an unbiased review, nor is it based on any measurable data... just one very biased guys opinion.

Also he was only comparing to his own Model 3. Not exactly a large sample size.

• Helpful
Reactions: Evoforce and Shemp