Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OPINION: Model 3 made in China better quality than USA built.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not reading through the topic but to answer the title, yes, I'm not surprised at all. I'm also very happy to hear about the German gigafactory. Just imagine, German quality built Tesla, what more can one ask for. Too bad they probably won't ship to the US.

Reactions: MXWing
I would have the same problem with the OP being flipped. I took issue (and take issue) with representing opinion as fact.
Do you seriously believe if Tesla wanted to break ground on a new factory tomorrow in Fremont, it would be churning out complete cars within 10 months?
This has nothing to do with the title of the thread or the OP, so I don't know why you felt the quoted portion was related to this new topic.

Another unpopular opinion but I can't see many people choosing a Model 3 over the Model Y.

Sitting in a Y, I found it superior in all practical aspects. As I predicted years ago, the Model 3 annihilated the Model S. The Y will finish off the S/X and even cannibalize the 3.

Highly probable. People have a collective boner over crossovers and sedans are basically dying. I'd prefer a hatchback at the same size and height as Model 3 but the Y is as close as I'm going to get.

I'll consider a Y after they've gotten the first year bugs and demand pricing worked out. Got burned getting my 3 as early as I did. I would also need to see a power trunk and power frunk option on the Y or I'm not buying it.

Power frunk probably won't happen without changes to regulations, from my understanding. I'm 99% sure I read that the Y will have a power liftgate though.

I'll be upgrading to a Y in all likelihood, but like you I'm not in a rush to get a first production unit. I'm also hoping for heated steering wheel, and better seats ideally. I doubt either will happen, but who knows.

Reactions: dhanson865
Video makes sense. They have upgraded some of the parts in the China plant to accomodate their weather and worse roads.
All the latest tech went into designing the plant and assembly. Lessons learned from Fremont will be transfered to China, just as things learned in China will feedback to Fremont to enhance quality, productivity and profitability.

All the profits from the China production will feed back into Tesla USA. These funds will be used to increase profitabily and development of future products.

Imagine that the production in Germany will take a further increase in quality, which will again transfer to the other plants.

Imagine that there wil be a constant competition between the various plants as to who will be the best in the World.

The video showed two cars. It would be surprising if the first cars to be shown for test driving were not pristine. They are Pre-Production. Look again at he two thousandth off the line when the pressure to hit targets is being applied. However the whole operation from start to current production approval has been extremely impressive, so would it be too surprising if he is proved correct?

My trunk hinge does not have the same even paint coverage as the Chinese one in the video. Mine has lots of tan primer showing through,

Frankly, primer or no primer, the design of this whole assembly looks, shall we say, downright expedient. It does the job, but it's not winning any Raymond Loewy awards. And that's fine with me, it's not a status symbol like it is in China, and I didn't buy it for that.

I can understand, but It cracks me up a bit when people inspect their new Model 3 with a magnifying glass and a micrometer. I bought it because it doesn't emit toxic fumes, it uses renewable energy, it's as fast and nimble as say a Porsche 928, it looks great, and the regular over-the-air updates of the automation make driving ever better.

• Love
Reactions: KenC and Msjulie
Chinese manufacturers make excellent clones.

Tesla’s choice for a German plant is smart. Germans have very high manufacturing standards, and penetrating the German car market will give Tesla enormous cred among auto enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Reactions: KenC
One of my favorite things about the Tesla is that it is designed and made in the USA supporting our economy. I will avoid any car made in China if at all possible. I'm glad Tesla is building cars in China for the Asian market, but I hope they keep their manufacturing footprint in North America as well.....

I have no doubt Tesla will maintain a NA, China and German factory. Elon has talked about the reason for the other factories was to save on cost of transporting overseas. Apart from the transport expense more to go wrong during transport and eat up profit for repairs.

Reactions: Shemp
You all should watch the documentary American Factory. This is not surprising to me at all, Chinese factory workers have a completely different work ethic and mindset than Americans. They are much more autonomous and robot like, whereas Americans are more individualistic and emotional. China is just really good at making *sugar* and America is really good at the R&D. That being said I agree with others saying this is the nth iteration and should be the best. A lot of lessons learned had to happen in Fremont to make this "Made in China" Model 3 better quality.

Elon pretty much said so recently -- lots of learning from the Factory went into Giga3 and said he suspects the same will be true of Giga4. I think having these 3 eventual factories will be a good thing. While it's true that Americans want to buy American and support workers in this country, the same could be said of each of the other two countries. I do think having a factory in Germany will open Tesla sales up to those Germans who want to support their own manufacturers. Giga4 will be supporting German workers and their economy so will be harder for them to make the same arguments.

Reactions: Shemp
Why would we have expected anything else?

Tesla improves their vehicles, and their processes over time.

I'm sure Tesla plans on incorporating identical processes whenever possible in all plants. Unfortunately they won't be able to duplicate the exact process on things like paint because of environmental restrictions in California.

We also cant underestimate the Chinese as I'm sure they have a lot of skilled workers who helped improve various things for GF3. Hopefully GF1 will benefit from that feedback.

I look forwards to GF4 because that's when Tesla will have the Germans in on it.

Its like overnight Tesla went from a US manufacture to a World manufacture.

It's also not just building the car, but so many other facets of the entire experience.

The Chinese also have one huge benefit over their GF1 counterparts. They're further away from Elon so they don't have deal with his micromanagement.

....Got good buddies who work for Toyota. You can show up to work in ANY make - as long as it's not Tesla. :D Despite the generous car benefits, they would rather have Model 3s over Lexus.....

My dad had worked for many years at a division of GM. Remember meeting him with my mom after he got off work sometimes. Back then if you drove a Japanese make car to work in the parking lot he said things happened to those cars. Dad always had a GM car after he started working there. Even after he retired. I don't get how Teslas aren't viewed as American by many but sure it's more due to a threatened feeling of something new, learning something new, job loss, lower pay. As I see it those manufacturers could have made Tesla cars themselves but they stuck their head in the ground and cozied up to Big Oil. The factory workers always pay for it in the end.

Phones, email, and video conferencing exists. ;) Little chance he isn't in the thick of the matter of the new factory on a daily basis, even if he only walks the floor physically when he gets around to flying over.

The distance and cultural differences helps in keeping separation.

I routinely work with colleagues in Munich, and both teams have good separation while also sharing a lot of knowledge.

3:24 into that video it shows a dual charging port set up. Chinese Tesla Model 3 Spotted With Proper GB/T Connector Is there a benefit of this plug or just a regional thing?

just a regional thing. People are somewhat upset about the chinese government mandating the GB/T connector. Yes it isn't really needed and just another unneccesary bulky standard but at least the chinese government had the balls to introduce one unlike everywhere else where politicans just fumbled about until last year when CSS became mandatory in the EU. USA still does not have one.