Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinion on buying 2013 S 85kWh with 76k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Asking price is 36k for this car. My concerns are the high mileage. How long can one of these motors be expected to last. With degradation what should the battery still hold as a charge? Any input would be appreciated.

My 2013 85 is over 100,000 miles. Drive unit has been replaced a few times, always due to some improper noise.

The motor will last a very long time, probably even decades; but the drive inverter/electrics who knows. Remember that these cars have 8 year warranty on the battery and drive unit.

I'm getting 221 @90%, about 245 @ 100%; but mine is a bit lower than most, even considering the mileage.

I suggest you jump on this. I would have waited for a used one, but I just had to have it!

Last edited:
Reactions: JPUConn and ChadS
IF the condition of the car is good to above average, it sounds like a very good deal for the money.

I currently have 80 K miles on my 2013 85, plan on taking another extensive road trip in August.
And have every confidence car will continue to perform and excel at what I ask it to do.
I consider it to be the Swiss-Army knife of cars, it does everything and hauls everything.

Have had first drive unit replaced very recently, my car still charges to 224 -- 227 miles @ 90%.
Similar thoughts that @Brass Guy stated above: battery and drive units are warranted for eight years and unlimited mileage on 85s.

A 2013 does NOT have all the bells and whistles that the newer cars do have.
As long as your are okay with that, I would absolutely get the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadS and JPUConn
I have 62k on my 2013 and love every minute. The car doesn't really change with miles. I personally would not buy one without a warranty but that's your decision if the price is that much more favorable than a used from tesla or CPO resale.

As others have said, if you are good with the features and don't mind missing what is on the newer cars then buy it.

Earlier cars can't be far from a price floor in my opinion just due to the scrap value if you part it out being so high.

Reactions: ChadS
Buying high mileage preowned top tier cars generally don't turn out to be good financial decisions, particularly so for a cost sensitive buyer.

Compared to a new car of similar price (e.g., you buying a new Model 3), there are significant extra costs to the older top tier car. The car will cost a LOT to fix if anything goes wrong; way higher than your expect. See that center screen? If that goes, prepare for thousands. That suspension, if any of it goes, prepare for thousands. Tires cost more, brakes and disks easily will exceed $3000 when they need to be replaced. Fortunately battery and DU will still be under warranty for 4 more years, so at least you don't have to worry about that. After 8 total years, the car will be worth just about scraps anyways. So additionally you suffer more deprecation compared to a new car.

Just know, there's a reason why seemingly amazing top tier cars even in seemingly amazing conditions go for such low prices after just 3-4 years, especially those with higher than average mileage.

Battery and DU are under warranty until 2021 with unlimited miles.

Operating costs are higher than a cheaper car, but depreciation should be a lot less than a newer car.

We love our 2012 with 82k miles. Just as good as when we bought it. Smoother and quieter than the one I leased last year. The only thing that has ever not worked was one door handle back in 2012.

Do you have a reservation on Model 3? If so, I say just wait for Model 3. If you don't and you really want an affordable good looking EV or a Model S right now or in the near future, then I guess you really don't have a choice.

Just be aware that although most likely the car will be good for now, but if problems do come up, you will be complaining about the thousands it costs to fix or maintain the car. Spending lots of money to fix and maintain older top-tier cars is part of the deal of buying one (thus the low price).

So regardless of the fact I would be buying from a dealership and they state that it has no warranty, all Tesla model S have a 8 year unlimited mile warranty on B and D
Yes, unless something happened to the car to void the warranty. Take the vin to Tesla, tell them you're buying used from a dealer and want to confirm the powertrain warranty is still valid. Also obviously confirm this vehicle wasnt in any accidents through carfax reports etc;

• Informative
Reactions: LoL Rick and KidDoc
Wait a year and enjoy the fireworks when tesla is flooded with thousands and thousands of 2015 car returns (36 month lease) and 2016 cars (24 months) lease.

Who is going to buy those cars with the model 3 and model x? Prices are going to have to come down.

Low miles, autopilot (AP10), with a warranty and on sale. Aren't those 2013 cars loaners anyway? Who would want to spend $36k on a freaking loaner? I would much rather wait for a used car that has been previously leased. People who lease cars take care of their cars (or at least they used to because nowadays everyone leases!)

The leasing company that owns the model s by the way is unaffiliated to tesla. That means that tesla will not use those cars as loaners. Lease residuals are low and they can slash prices without losing much money. If I remember a model s residual is 60 percent. To that you add the $7,500 from Uncle Sam that the leasing company pockets. That means the leasing company can slash prices by half from MSRP without losing a dime.

Just from my experience with a 2014, and 40000 kilometres, I would take the car PROVIDED the seller agrees to have Tesla inspect and retorque the suspension, ditto the wheel hub nuts and inspect the steering rack. All the above on my car have needed attention, all relatively minor stuff, but necessary. Also, a 4 wheel alignment. ( unless you are prepared to foot that bill). The steering rack needed shims, and also retorqueing. I also think the car is a bit on the expensive side for the age and mileage.

Last edited: