Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinion on buying A Preowned Model 3 2019 with 114k Miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solution
You’re right, I wouldn’t buy a car w that many miles but I thought electric cars were the superior that’s why I figured I would make the exception but I’m not so sure now
Ignore the "electric car" part. Regardless of how long the battery may or may not last, and the true fact that they have fewer moving parts, its still expensive to fix, and you are still looking at a car that was driven 40k miles a year for 3 years.

If its going to be a second or third car and you are simply checking out EVs, perhaps. If you are planning on it being your reliable transportation to work, there are MUCH MUCH MUCH better ways to spend 28k on a car for reliable transportation.
I'd like to note that different engine/motor types change my considerations on milage. Saying uou wouldn't buy any car at 1xxk miles after 3 years is a bit naive if you ask me. If it's a diesel truck that's just broken in and will be performing the best it ever will with another 80% of its life remaining before a rebuild. You can't look at every vehicle as the same. Each has its considerations. Even if the battery or motor broke down you're looking at a total invested cost of 48k after repair. That's still decent considering new prices. I think something in that sub 30k range with high miles is something interesting to consider.

Upvote 0
And its like someone read my mind:

No way I would by a car share car or taxi especially in NYC. Suspension is likely shot and all those miles are likely short trips and stop and go.
Short trips and stop and go is nowhere near as bad on an EV as with an Ice vehicle. That said, the interior of a taxi is probably beat up.

Upvote 0
Short trips are worse for an EV just the same. Most parts wear from acceleration/braking/“jerk” and not from cruising.
The engine on an ICE takes much more wear on short trips.

EVs, if driven with any sort of finesse, have no braking to speak of, and there's no transmission shifting gears or engine to warm up. Sure acceleration is a potential issue, but I would think most Taxi's aren't driven hard, because it usually hits the bottom line.

Reactions: MadScientist23
Upvote 0
EVs, if driven with any sort of finesse, have no braking to speak of,

Dude, quit gushing EV's don't use brake cool aid.
The used car in question was a NYC taxi.
It was riding the brakes more often than a crack-head hits the pipe.
1664160267169.png

... but I would think most Taxi's aren't driven hard

Dude, really?

1664161372760.png

because it usually hits the bottom line.
1664161393530.png

• Funny
Reactions: Chattanooga3
Upvote 0
Obviously he has never been in a NYC taxi. As I alluded to in a previous post, taxis get beat up rather quickly and even a newer one will show signs of abuse.

There's a fleet of Revel taxis in blue that are mostly Model Ys going around the city now. One can see if they are still in good shape. Next time I'm at the Revel charger I'll take a look, but it's been a while since I charged there.

Tesla Revel taxis

Upvote 0
At $28k I think this is more interesting than most give credit for …

Yes, the interior is likely to take the worst of it. No question there, and that’s the part only you can judge for yourself. Would have to see it in person.

Suspension parts - well, they are what they are. Thing is — Tesla’s suspensions aren’t known to be super robust. So whether it’s any worse for wear than it would be on a “highway only” Tesla — jury’s out on that.

As for rough service — it’s an EV. I would be much, much less concerned about that. The battery’s bigger enemy is time vs mileage. On a gas taxi, a huge percentage of time, it’s idling. That’s still combustion happening, pistons moving, so on and so forth. On an EV, it’s so much less of a concern.

So yeah - for $28k, this is interesting. Not a no-brainer in either way. My personal feeling … IF the interior is acceptable to you and IF you can set aside a rainy-day fund in case something catastrophic happens, this may be worth pursuing. I wouldn’t expect the battery to just croak but anything is possible; in the worst case if you need a $15k battery, that’s now a $43k car. If you can accept that without completely flipping your lid …. Maybe it’s good for you. It’s a gamble; if everything goes right, you get a tremendous bargain. If not … then you’re kinda-sorta back to even.

Upvote 0
At $28k I think this is more interesting than most give credit for …

Yes, the interior is likely to take the worst of it. No question there, and that’s the part only you can judge for yourself. Would have to see it in person.

Suspension parts - well, they are what they are. Thing is — Tesla’s suspensions aren’t known to be super robust. So whether it’s any worse for wear than it would be on a “highway only” Tesla — jury’s out on that.

As for rough service — it’s an EV. I would be much, much less concerned about that. The battery’s bigger enemy is time vs mileage. On a gas taxi, a huge percentage of time, it’s idling. That’s still combustion happening, pistons moving, so on and so forth. On an EV, it’s so much less of a concern.

So yeah - for $28k, this is interesting. Not a no-brainer in either way. My personal feeling … IF the interior is acceptable to you and IF you can set aside a rainy-day fund in case something catastrophic happens, this may be worth pursuing. I wouldn’t expect the battery to just croak but anything is possible; in the worst case if you need a $15k battery, that’s now a $43k car. If you can accept that without completely flipping your lid …. Maybe it’s good for you. It’s a gamble; if everything goes right, you get a tremendous bargain. If not … then you’re kinda-sorta back to even.
it's also driven in the winter on slushy salt roads in NY and likely parked outside in the elements year round...

Upvote 0
it's also driven in the winter on slushy salt roads in NY and likely parked outside in the elements year round...

So are my almost-4 and almost-3 year old Model 3 & X.
(NJ instead of NY, but same slushy salty roads.)
Parked outdoors 24x7x365.

Clearly ruined.

Heck, here's a photo of the RF damper on the 3. Filthy mess, clearly.

Just busting chops of course -- but driving in the Northeast isn't a death sentence for cars, I swear.

289400564_322077320122623_392960456420123301_n.jpg289690344_322077266789295_7765933721538934606_n.jpg288806826_319613660368989_7133035401206808515_n.jpg288814541_319613707035651_4361578574723173943_n.jpgIMG_0488.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Funny
Reactions: dmurphy
Upvote 0