Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinion on carbon fiber wrap for nose cone and rear valance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my Model S is delivered in April or May I've been considering having a local shop wrap the nose cone and rear valence in 3M di-noc carbon fiber. I think it would look outstanding on the multi-color red. Another option would be to also wrap all of the black plastic trim around the bottom perimeter of the car. Opinions?

Here are some photos of carbon fiber wrap on Ferrari lower panels and a Mercedes grille.

ferrari.jpg

Mercedes.jpg

Last edited:
I think the MS could use some modest CF wrap treatment here an there. What is a "rear Valence"?
In any event, I do notlike the CF wrapped Mercedes grill photo you posted, but I do like the subtler application on the Ferrari photo.

The rear valence is the black piece that extends under the rear bumper. It has some chrome trim on the bottom edge.

I agree about the Mercedes grille. I don't want to do anything tacky or in bad taste what I think is a quite elegant Model S design. The Mercedes grille is a bit over the top with the CF.

Ok, it'll probably look terrible but are there any "colored" carbon fiber flavors? Specifically, I'm wondering what the first picture in the OP would look like if the white/lightgray portions of the carbon fiber had a Sig Red tinge.

Ok, it'll probably look terrible but are there any "colored" carbon fiber flavors? Specifically, I'm wondering what the first picture in the OP would look like if the white/lightgray portions of the carbon fiber had a Sig Red tinge.

There are -- red, blue, silver, and a number of others, but they don't mix colors, at least the ones I've seen. But I'm inclined to stick with black.

Following up on this

Planned modifications? - Page 10

I stopped by that shop yesterday. Got a quote of $100 to apply that nice 3M CF vinyl wrap (like on the Ferrari above) on the nose cone *below* the chrome line thus leaving the logo and the strip of shiny black plastic underneath untouched. Pretty much the inverse of the X proto's nose:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362230481.188936.jpg

Getting it done next Friday; will post pics.

Btw, got a quote of $300 to do the CF wrap for the entire black roof; holding off on that for now. I put a sheet of that CF wrap film on top of both the roof and the nose cone and it looked superb in the sun!

I bought a whole roll (15 meters ~ 45 feet) for $250 of 3M DiNOC and did the roof of my current Saab myself. Perfect finish, no bubbles. Will do the roof, rear valance, interior pieces (to match the Performance option) and a few other bits when I get my Model S (white).
Only difference is I will opt for the 3M 1080 Carbon fibre vinyl. It has the exact same look and feel, same matte surface - but is more flexible and easier to add + its made for outdoor use and not meant for interior use like the DiNOC - means itll last longer In all sorts of weather. DiNOC is guaranteed to last "only" 5 years.

The 1080 vinyl was designed by 3M after they saw an increase In exterior use of the DiNOC and is the best In this situation.

As far as I can see the lower black pieces is a bit rugged black plastic? If so it will not stick very well, nor give a really Nice finish. This means you might have to sand them down a bit prior to adding the vinyl.

Good luck!
I demand loads of pictures - as Im not getting my car In over 6 months anyway...

Tapatalkin' from iTalatut...
byguru5y.jpg

Following up on this

I stopped by that shop yesterday. Got a quote of $100 to apply that nice 3M CF vinyl wrap (like on the Ferrari above) on the nose cone *below* the chrome line thus leaving the logo and the strip of shiny black plastic underneath untouched. Pretty much the inverse of the X proto's nose:

View attachment 17560

Btw, got a quote of $300 to do the CF wrap for the entire black roof; holding off on that for now. I put a sheet of that CF wrap film on top of both the roof and the nose cone and it looked superb in the sun!

I'm very eager to see the photos of the finished work.

I bought a whole roll (15 meters ~ 45 feet) for $250 of 3M DiNOC and did the roof of my current Saab myself. Perfect finish, no bubbles. Will do the roof, rear valance, interior pieces (to match the Performance option) and a few other bits when I get my Model S (white).
Only difference is I will opt for the 3M 1080 Carbon fibre vinyl. It has the exact same look and feel, same matte surface - but is more flexible and easier to add + its made for outdoor use and not meant for interior use like the DiNOC - means itll last longer In all sorts of weather. DiNOC is guaranteed to last "only" 5 years.

The 1080 vinyl was designed by 3M after they saw an increase In exterior use of the DiNOC and is the best In this situation.

Thanks for the tip about the 3M 1080. If I do this (which is very likely) I'll use it.

I had the car looked at and a number of installers (3) have said that putting the cf wrap ok the greyish plastic area (rear diffuser) is not a good idea since it would not stick very well. The texture of the surface does not lend itself well to adhere with the vinyl wrap.

One place said they could do an injection mold if I wanted carbon fiber in that area.

not sure about the nose cone so would love to see how that looks once somebody has it done.

- - - Updated - - -

Following up on this

View attachment 17560

Vinyl Styles may be doing mine as well.have them take a look at the rear diffuser and get their opinion on whether the CF would stick there, if you don't mind.

Vinyl Styles may be doing mine as well.have them take a look at the rear diffuser and get their opinion on whether the CF would stick there, if you don't mind.

Will do. Lyle at Vinyl Styles appeared to be a real nice guy; he mentioned that a couple of Ss had stopped by before I did but, that he hadn't worked on one yet. He was also open to bouncing some ideas around and was the one to admit that doing the wrap on the strip of nose cone behind the T emblem would be hard.

Oh, watch out for the steep storm drain and curb as you enter and exit his lot. I had very minor scraping at the bottom of the front valance from tackling them with the suspension at the standard setting. Gotta go Very High during my next visit to Vinyl Styles.

Last edited:
tomorrow if your big day, eagerly waiting to see where you get the Cf done and what Lyle says about doing it on the rear greyish diffuser

Will do. Lyle at Vinyl Styles appeared to be a real nice guy; he mentioned that a couple of Ss had stopped by before I did but, that he hadn't worked on one yet. He was also open to bouncing some ideas around and was the one to admit that doing the wrap on the strip of nose cone behind the T emblem would be hard.

Oh, watch out for the steep storm drain and curb as you enter and exit his lot. I had very minor scraping at the bottom of the front valance from tackling them with the suspension at the standard setting. Gotta go Very High during my next visit to Vinyl Styles.

you should be able to get any chrome on the car wrapped by an experienced installer. i had all my chrome and rear chrome diffuser wrapped with vinyl, no problem. i also had the chrome on the nose cone blacked out as well. unfortunately, i don't have a pic of that, but it can be done! :wink:

Attachments

• noname.jpeg
    noname.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 1,364
Last edited:
you should be able to get any chrome on the car wrapped by an experienced installer. i had all my chrome and rear chrome diffuser wrapped with vinyl, no problem. i also had the chrome on the nose cone blacked out as well. unfortunately, i don't have a pic of that, but it can be done! :wink:

looks sharp...almost like a cop car all blacked out...

Looks pretty sweet. The grey diffuser area in the rear is going to be the issue. From your pics I see that you did not get it wrapped either.

Looks pretty sweet. The grey diffuser area in the rear is going to be the issue. From your pics I see that you did not get it wrapped either.

Thanks. I never really thought about wrapping that portion. I was just focused on blacking out the chrome. It does have a unique surface. I thought there was someone on this forum that did have it wrapped. I'll try to find it...

Here u go!

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/9463-Carbon-Fiber-Exterior-Accents/page3