Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinion on tint percentages for solid Black Model 3 with white interior.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
I am thinking 70% windshield, pano roof.

35% all around the rest.

My main concern is look of rear windshield as it is already half tinted.

Second concern is does it become too dark with two layers of tint for the rear windshield. Thanks

Reactions: P85_DA
My main concern is look of rear windshield as it is already half tinted.

Second concern is does it become too dark with two layers of tint for the rear windshield. Thanks

Here is a rear windshield with crystalline 40

B023F0F6-B48F-407A-BC71-BF6E54386298.jpeg

Hope attached images help a little bit. These are from my model 3 looking up today which was not cloudy here. Left side is sunroof with Wincos 70, right side is rear windshield with Wincos 50. I think visibility is still pretty decent with 50. The first image is unedited, 2nd image is darkened which on my monitor looks more like what it looks like in real life (in case my monitor is just really bright).

Attachments

• 2018-08-11 16.41.45.jpg
    2018-08-11 16.41.45.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 721
  • 2018-08-11 16.41.jpg
    2018-08-11 16.41.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 763
  • Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I had PPF on the front half + doors + rocker panels. Ceramic coating on the rest. That's about it..
Are you planning to install the Tesla spoiler when you get it? Did they ceramic coat the area on the trunk lid where the spoiler will go? My guy said this could cause problems adhering the spoiler, since ceramic is slipperier than the paint. Any news on when the spoilers will be shipping to service centers? My car comes on Monday, and I'm trying to figure out when to schedule PPF and ceramic.

I have 35% all around in the back and all roof areas. Yes, I think it's too dark when double tinted with 35%. However, 35% on its own is perfectly fine for visibility (I wouldn't go darker for night visibility reasons). My roof loses that "open" feel because it's so dark. I've got pictures in some other tint thread on here. But I really like how it flows rather than have different levels of darkness all over the place. Not sure what the solution is.

I have 70 (or 75%? Whatever Photosync has in that range) in the front side windows. It's light. It'll be fine on the windshield. I don't think it stops any more heat than Crystalline 70 though, despite what they claim for the TSER.

Do they have rules in the US about the tinting percentage on the windscreen?

In the UK the front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through. There are no rules for tinting the rear windscreen or rear passenger windows.

Every state is different. Still, I think the general rule is no tint on the front windscreen.

California, for example, is just like UK, except we can't have anything on the front windshield except for about a 3 inch strip at the very top. The rest matches your rules.

We do it anyways because 70% is light enough that it's really hard to tell something is there.

Are you planning to install the Tesla spoiler when you get it? Did they ceramic coat the area on the trunk lid where the spoiler will go? My guy said this could cause problems adhering the spoiler, since ceramic is slipperier than the paint. Any news on when the spoilers will be shipping to service centers? My car comes on Monday, and I'm trying to figure out when to schedule PPF and ceramic.

Yes and yes. My options are to not have Tesla install the spoiler/badge and take it to the ceramic coat guy and he'll polish down the areas where it will adhere and make it work that way, or see if Tesla will do that. It's a fluid situation, just waiting on the parts.

Every state has different tint laws, so I'll just speak on Houston/Texas.

Since Texas started fulfilling the 3 reservations, we've doing a bunch of Photosync 35% on the sides and back. As far as the question above asking if it'll be too dark on the rear window--I can't say how it is with other films but it still looks very clear from the inside looking out, with Photosync. Everyone who we show a finished Model 3 in Photosync to, always comments how it looks lighter looking out versus looking in. Pretty neat since you get that privacy but visibility at the same time.

I also recommend tinting the front windshield (if you have a shop that can do it in your area) and sunroof. Typically we go 75% for these.

I typically post pictures of what the tint (Photosync and Ceraluxe) looks like Teslas in this thread for anyone interested. I try to update it as much as possible: Vendor - EVS Motors is your exclusive Authorized PhotoSync Window Film Installer & Dealer

• Helpful
Reactions: Lasairfion
Some of the police here actually have tint-meters that they put on the windscreen and it measures the percentage.

I was told a story by one of the Test Inspectors at my Advanced Driving Club that he went to visit the county police HQ and while there insisted on seeing how these machines worked. Since the only car that they had on hand which had tinting was his own (done just a couple of days previously), they used that for the demonstration.

The machine was placed against the windscreen and the car promptly failed the test. The police are then legally bound to require the tinting removed or you cannot continue driving the vehicle, so they had to carefully peel the tint from the window so that the inspector could drive home.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MikeATL