Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinion on using Outdoor cover while on vacation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We'll be away for a week and up in here in NJ it's been lightly snowing off and on once a week and temps in 30's during day and teens at night. I don't have the facility to put my Model Y in the garage and so will be left out in the driveway. I bought a Tesmanian outdoor cover (awaiting delivery) and was wondering if I should cover the car while we're away or just leave her naked in the elements. I am mainly curious if something like a 8-10" snowfall comes if the cover will rip or with any kind of moisture build up under the cover if snow/ice is just sitting on top for days... I know this cover and many like it tout to be waterproof. I've also read moisture while car is covered can be an enemy to the paint but if we're only gone a week I think that wouldn't be much of an issue. Thank you!

We'll be away for a week and up in here in NJ it's been lightly snowing off and on once a week and temps in 30's during day and teens at night. I don't have the facility to put my Model Y in the garage and so will be left out in the driveway. I bought a Tesmanian outdoor cover (awaiting delivery) and was wondering if I should cover the car while we're away or just leave her naked in the elements. I am mainly curious if something like a 8-10" snowfall comes if the cover will rip or with any kind of moisture build up under the cover if snow/ice is just sitting on top for days... I know this cover and many like it tout to be waterproof. I've also read moisture while car is covered can be an enemy to the paint but if we're only gone a week I think that wouldn't be much of an issue. Thank you!
Many years ago I tried a car cover for a little antique car that had a fresh paint job and would not be be driven what's during the week. I thought the cover fit pretty well and I was happy to have that done as I didn't have a carport or garage, and we have very strong damaging sunlight. However, while removing the cover I was shocked to find how much dust and grit had been sucked under there.

Of course this may be a bigger problem in the desert compared to the environment in NJ. But I quickly decided that it wasn't worth it for me. I found it tedious to remove the cover, rolling it carefully away from the paint so as not to slide it across with the dust under there, and then needing to find a way to wash the cover before the next use; it was too big to go into my residential washing machine. I think I draped it over my property wall and hosed It off, let it dry and then reversed for the other side. After all that I put it away and never used it again.

Again your experience may be different, in a different location and maybe with someone to help you handle it. I'm just letting you know my experience.

• Helpful
Reactions: Trip McNealy
Fellow Northeasterner here and I say skip the cover and invest in PPF instead, but even without it skip the cover. I can't imagine safely removing a cold & potentially frozen stiff cover, I'd worry that it'll do more harm then good.

Reactions: Trip McNealy
Fellow Northeasterner here and I say skip the cover and invest in PPF instead, but even without it skip the cover. I can't imagine safely removing a cold & potentially frozen stiff cover, I'd worry that it'll do more harm then good.

That's a pretty good point about a frozen cover. I think I will indeed forgo the cover and just use it in warmer weather and/or relegate to indoor garage use at our next home.