Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinion wanted on my wheel alignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Below is my alignment specs. The shop said they could not get the driver front camber and caster within spec.

Left front camber is one degree more negative than the right and the left front caster is 1.5 degree less than the right.

What are the implications of this? The shop sent me on my way and said that it's not in spec but that it is close and shouldn't be an issue.

Screenshot_20220513-151527_Photos.jpg

Can the caster and camber of the Y be adjusted?

It's almost like they didnt adjust those at all.
Maybe they don't know how...? It reads like they don't cuz they can't even articulate the issue.

Next time any "pro" tells you with unflappable confidence that there's *no* adjustment for camber/caster on the Model 3, tell them to have themselves fired.

Maybe they don't know how...? It reads like they don't cuz they can't even articulate the issue.

Is this relevant for the Model Y as well? That diagram looks like it is for the model 3.

Is this the car that was recently in an accident? Seems like something is a little bent on that front left side.

To me, this is a classic case of "bury the leade". Its "Opinions wanted on my alignment after my car was repaired from an accident".

Find and replace the damaged component.

When i took it the shop and they gave it back to me and said that they couldn't get it aligned any further. I asked them why it didn't align and whhether there was anything damaged or bent and they told me there was no damage.

Whatever that's worth?

My friend, a Tesla certified technician, and i fixed damage on that side

3 and Y share the same platform including suspension.
I called the shop again and they said "We did not touch the camber and caster, the car does not have adjustment for this".

When I told him "I'm looking at the manual right now for how to adjust this" he replied "Yes, you adjust it by drilling out the struts and we do not do this".

I looked over the diagram you linked about how to adjust camber and caster and it does not reference or say anything about drilling out the struts. It says

"use a pry tool or large screwdriver to pry between the damper mounting nuts and body openings so as to move the FUCA mount inside the shock tower.
Moving the FUCA mount out from the centerline makes positive camber.
Moving the FUCA in toward the centerline makes negative camber."

Is there something I am misunderstanding between how the tech at the shop is interfacing with me?

I have an appointment with Tesla on Thursday, but I just want to figure out what happened with Big O Tires, and whether they just didnt know how to properly align the car.

-- UPDATE --

I called again and I read them the quote from the manual above and the guy said

"Yes, thats correct, you are moving the FUCA tower, and we don't do that here. Tesla will do that for you but we don't".

- Does this sound right? I'm fine with if this is all onsides, I just don't want to feel like I'm being taken advantaged of.

Last edited:
It sounds Iike they just want to do simple, straight forward jobs. I don’t want to call them lazy, but someone else might. A lot of shops are hesitant to work on Teslas, so perhaps this has exceeded their comfort level.

Regardless, I hope Tesla can get you squared away.