Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions Desired on tires for 19 inch wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking of replacing my Michelin Primacy MXM4s this summer, and I was so happy with the Nokian Hakka R2s for Winter that I was considering the Nokian WRG3 all-season for my Spring/Summer/Fall tire. Any thoughts on this? Or should I just go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (or the LRR Pilot Sport 3), as discussed above? Or stick with OEMs and do another set of Primacy MXM4s?

Does Tesla have a recommended Summer tire?

I would think the WRG3 to be a bit overly aggressive for a 3-season tire in PA. Might as well get some better handling and likely, a bit more economy.

The A/S 3 is certainly a fantastic tire. Hard to go wrong there.

I'm helping my father pick new 19" tires right now, as his OEM Michelin's only went 14k. We are leaning toward the Pirelli Cinturato P7 because it's low rolling resistance, has a considerably higher treadwear rating, and seems to have a reputation of being quiet.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tezzie
I got a set of Nokian Zline summer tires in December. Hopefully going to put them on within the next week or so. If you're open to a summer tire it's a good choice (up there with Conti DW and Pilot SS) and they're fairly inexpensive comparatively.

Last edited:
My Hankook Ventus S2 noble tires were supposed to last 35,000 to 50,000 - they didn't make it but 15,000 miles. I would recommend avoiding them.

I saw your comment about tire wear coming in less than the rated wear and noodled on this for a bit. I bet the tire manufacturers tested the tires on standard iCE vehicles that do not have regenerative braking. My hunch (and I'd love for someone to confirm), is that the aggressive regen causes wear on the tires as we now use rubber to slow us down vs the brake pad. In other words, all tire manufacturers with their current stated tread wear ratings are likely to be overstating the mileage when it comes to usage on a Model S.

It'd be especially interesting to see the impact of standard vs low regen settings on tread wear. I just took delivery of my MS, so too early to tell for me.

I am thinking of replacing my Michelin Primacy MXM4s this summer, and I was so happy with the Nokian Hakka R2s for Winter that I was considering the Nokian WRG3 all-season for my Spring/Summer/Fall tire. Any thoughts on this?

I put them on for my winter tires. They are great for that. In the summer they are a bit too aggressive for my liking, and they appear to have higher rolling resistance than the MXM4. (10-20 Wh/mi It's somewhat hard to tell due to the temperature differences). This is different than the older WR-series tires which had better rolling resistance than the Michelin Energy tires. I suspect that's due to the 240 km/h speed of the WR-g3 tires.

If you want to use them all year round, then put them on in the fall, not in the spring, so that you get the benefit of the best traction. Otherwise it's hard to go wrong with the MXM4.

(LMB spouse)

We put WR G3's on in January, just before getting almost ten feet of snow in the next six weeks. They've been great in the snow and great in heavy rain. The handling is better than the OEM Goodyears, but I suspect that's not saying much. I have the sense that the rolling resistance is a little higher than the OEM tires, but not a lot. We'll have to see what happens when it warms up.

It's our intent to use them as four-season tires, but we'll see how that works out. I've been keeping them at 48 PSI based on (conflicting) information from various Web sources. This may be helping the handing a bit.

Excellent input, thanks all! I think if I had one set of tires year round, the WRG3s would be the choice. But since I already have Hakkas for winter, I should probably get the performance and handling benefits of a Summer tire. Looking forward to hearing feedback on the Nokian Zline and the Pirelli Cinturaros, to compare against the Michelin options.

I now need to select a tire for the wheels. I am considering the following tires:
4. Hankook Ventus S1 noble 2 (ultra high performance all season tire);

I do spirited driving when able to, but do not feel I push the car to the limit, especially when corning. However, I believe in having the best possible tires on a car. Can people please give me their opinions on the above tires, keeping in mind I am most concerned with dry weather handling, wet weather handling, energy consumption of the vehicle with each of the above tires, quietness of the tire, and life span of the above tires, with the dry weather handling being the most important requirement and tire life being the least important requirement.

Thanks for all your opinions.

I have the Noble 2 on my car right now and I will say they are hands down better then the OEM tires (Primacy and old RS-A2). I cannot compare them to the others tires you mentioned though. I put these guys on and we promptly got a snow storm here in VA (~4 inches) and the tires perfromed quite admirably. This was wet/heavy snow so take that for what it's worth. No traction issues getting into my garage and none at stoplights.

Dry performance is much better then the OEMs that I had and wet traction will blow away the OEMs. Turn in feel was much improved over the OEMs too. The OEMs felt as though you were constantly waiting on the flex of the sidewall carcass but the Noble 2 are quicker and provide much better feedback on what the front end is doing. So far I am really happy with the performance.

As for noise they are as quiet as the Primacy (RS-A2 were a bit 'noisy' by my standards) and are just as "supple" over bumps and potholes.

I can't speak to range impact since I stoped worrying/monitoring range a year ago.

I have the Noble 2 on my car right now and I will say they are hands down better then the OEM tires (Primacy and old RS-A2). I cannot compare them to the others tires you mentioned though. I put these guys on and we promptly got a snow storm here in VA (~4 inches) and the tires perfromed quite admirably. This was wet/heavy snow so take that for what it's worth. No traction issues getting into my garage and none at stoplights.

Dry performance is much better then the OEMs that I had and wet traction will blow away the OEMs. Turn in feel was much improved over the OEMs too. The OEMs felt as though you were constantly waiting on the flex of the sidewall carcass but the Noble 2 are quicker and provide much better feedback on what the front end is doing. So far I am really happy with the performance.

As for noise they are as quiet as the Primacy (RS-A2 were a bit 'noisy' by my standards) and are just as "supple" over bumps and potholes.

I can't speak to range impact since I stoped worrying/monitoring range a year ago.

I liked them, but when the service center told me I was at less than 3/32 after only 15,000 miles, I had to be concerned. They were supposed to be a harder compound, but it turned out to be pretty soft. The service center offered a really great price on the primacy tires and that's what I have on right now.

(Hankook warrants them at 50,000 miles except on certain cars, where its warranty is 35,000. But 15,000 is rather crazy.)