Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions/Experience with Black MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We currently have an MSM SRY and my last several cars have been some derivation of red and blue, so I decided to order a black on black MYP. That said, now I'm starting to think that I should have gone with something "safer". Can anyone share their thoughts and experiences with the MYP in black? Pics are welcome too :)

Seems to be hundreds of posts covering looks and likes. Consider looking at a few already flush with info.

I did plenty of searches, thank you. Looking for first hand opinions/critiques/observations specifically related to solid black.

I have a new model 3 black/black and while it’s looks beautiful when clean…it’s precisely impossible to keep it that way for longer than one drive or small trip lol.

If you want to spend 4x the time cleaning a car..get black. MYP coming we are going blue for this very reason.

I still love the black blacked out look :)

Reactions: z355is
It's all personal --
I had ONE black car in my entire history that you can see to your left.
A beauty when it was clean, but very hard to keep that way.
The final straw was the neighbor -- they spray painted their house light blue, and the fallout landed on my car, and I couldn't get it off. I waited until it got a little dirty and then traded the poor VW Wolfsberg off the next week. I guess I pulled the wool over the dealers eyes....

Reactions: z335is
with Black, the Margin of Awesomeness is very low with high impact. If you have the time to keep it shiny, go for it and you'll love it. When your outside the margin, it'll bug you and make you wish you picked another color.

At one time, Black was the free color. Now, that it's premium - it adds some appeal (less black Tesla's around).

Team Black & White

Reactions: Nolmt50 and z335is
Agree with all posters above:

If you enjoy cleaning your car and maintaining its look for hours, go for it.

I find car washing relaxing but will never own another black car. It's dirty after a single drive and it collects swirls like no other. I'm nowhere close to being OCD but unless extremely well maintained, black Teslas look awful even after a few months.

I would recommend a ceramic coating and getting into a groove with ONR maintenance washes. I do this for mine and it always looks nice. I did matte PPF with ceramic coating on my 3, which honestly is the easiest to clean, but my MYP being coated and weekly washes isn't too bad. You just have to get your process down.

Black hides panel gaps the best out of all the colours, white shows them off the best. We have a PPF appointment booked next week to wrap the front end and hood. We lasted 12 months, then DING, our 1st hood chip. Stands out too much with the almost white undercoating.
I have a model S (2015) in the current grey colour (not wrapped), much nicer clearcoat/finish than the current black our our model Y. Agree the black is going to be too much maintenance.
No amount of patience and steady hands with touch -up paint is going to keep up with a peppered front end.

20220311_112618.jpg
20220311_140148.jpg
Screenshot_20220316-154349_Gallery.jpg

Black looks spectacular on these cars! I've had a couple other black cars in the past and half dozen white cars. I'm tired of white now. Who cares if its easier to "keep clean"?

I did full front PPF film and silver ceramic pro coating

I wash it once a month and keep it in the garage.

I did the same thing with my white cars. They can get dirty too. Far as I'm concerned black doesn't require any more work than white. Here how it looks after 3 weeks without a bath:

1647984243365903666400601562718.jpg

Is it dirty? Yes it is. But you wouldn't know unless you got real close to it. Same as any other color including white

oh and I drive it 80 miles a day 5 days a week. Yes, I know being in Southern CA helps a little. But I've owned black and white cars when I lived in the PNW and AR. In a rainy state white or silver hides the rain stains a little better, but that doesn't cause me to change the frequency of my washes

I'm on my 4th black car with my Model 3P. we've had my wife's 2022 MYP for about a week now, also in black. black will show off swirls and paint imperfections better than say a silver car. but a clean black car looks a 1000X better than a clean silver car. I'm partial to black so I'm ok with keeping them clean. I've also noticed that the MYP's rear lower diffuser area gets super dusty after just driving down the street. both rear ends of our cars get dirty super easily. oh well, just have to wipe it down every other day!

You brave soull!!!
If you don’t mind light searches and swirl marks from day one, and consrr the amt spot clean pretty much everyday, yes go for it.
By the way, bird dropping will be your worst enemy during the summer months since one drop will leave a permanent mark if not cleaned right away

Black hides panel gaps the best out of all the colours, white shows them off the best. We have a PPF appointment booked next week to wrap the front end and hood. We lasted 12 months, then DING, our 1st hood chip. Stands out too much with the almost white undercoating.
I have a model S (2015) in the current grey colour (not wrapped), much nicer clearcoat/finish than the current black our our model Y. Agree the black is going to be too much maintenance.
No amount of patience and steady hands with touch -up paint is going to keep up with a peppered front end.
I've had a lot of silver cars. They seem to hide the dirt best. I only wish Tesla had the bright silver option, I would have ordered that instead of red.

By the way... you didn't ask, but the white interior looks STUNNING, and it's really easy to keep clean!

A quick wipe with a baby wipe and it cleans up nicely. If you wear jeans, you will get blue marks every so often, but again, easy to clean off.

I think the white interior really brightens the car, and makes it look much more futuristic!

Wife wanted black interior, I wanted white... glad I won that argument!

Reactions: z355is