Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions of the 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already own a Model 3 and now we are looking to buy a 2nd Tesla. I want something I can just pay cash for. There is an inventory CPO 2017 S 75D with FSD and sentry mode available near me,

I have heard the 75Ds were real bad about battery degradation, any truth to this? Or is there any other reason I should avoid this year/battery?

If you can confirm the car actually has Sentry mode that implies it was built after August 2017 and had autopilot hardware 2.5, so that’s good.

Being a 2017 it still has MCU 1, so it won’t have all the theater, games, etc. that your 3 does. It also has a small flash memory chip that is prone to failure and will likely necessitate replacement at some point.

Degradation isn’t horrible, maybe a bit higher than others but also highly variable. I’m close to the “worst” I’ve seen reported around here and my 2016 75 with 100k miles has lost 12% of its original rated range. Most people see less than that, so you can likely use that as a high water mark.

EPA range is 416 km. When I took delivery of the vehicle and charged to 100%, it was showing 403km. Looked it up on the forums and other 75D owners were experiencing the same thing, so I never bothered to tell Tesla. A year and a half later, my max range is down to 383 km, about 8% less than EPA.

Is it worth it? Depends on the price of the vehicle. Keep in mind that a new model S has 600km of range, is more efficient, had better performance, and has a new suspension system. It might not be worth it to go for the 75D, unless range is not important to you, or unless the price is right.

Last edited:
One more thing. You said the car has "FSD". Teslas made in 2017 did not have the FSD computer and this would not be able to utilize the FSD software down the road. Make sure before you buy the car that the computer had been replaced and that it has the HW3 FSD computer.

1) Every car made in 2017 and sold with the FSD package will eventually be upgraded to the new computer, so “would not be able to utilize the FSD software down the road” is categorically false.

2) Not a single car made in 2017 has been updated to the HW3 computer yet, so you’re asking them to “make sure” of something that definitively has not happened yet.

Had a dec 2018 75D as a loaner for a month and it is a great option but after driving the new raven performance S, all I can say is if you can afford a new one that's what I would suggest but if you can get a 75D for the right price then go for it. If it were me I would get one with MCU2 but some people don't see a need for all the extras.

Reactions: E Dizzle
I'm talking about the computer, not the car.
But you’re making a meaningless distinction as Tesla has been extremely clear that all of the cars with FSD option will be updated for free.

Then you’re asking them to “make sure” something has happened that isn’t even available for the car yet.

My point is you’re spreading misinformation and needlessly confusing a potential buyer.

2) Not a single car made in 2017 has been updated to the HW3 computer yet, so you’re asking them to “make sure” of something that definitively has not happened yet.
I corrected my post when I realized they haven't started yet. On another note though, I really think they should. Tesla is already swarmed with service appointments, what's gonna happen when FSD features are released and suddenly thousands of customers want their computer replaced?

I already own a Model 3 and now we are looking to buy a 2nd Tesla. I want something I can just pay cash for. There is an inventory CPO 2017 S 75D with FSD and sentry mode available near me,

I have heard the 75Ds were real bad about battery degradation, any truth to this? Or is there any other reason I should avoid this year/battery?
I have heard about abnormal battery degradation in the 90Ds, but not the 75D.

I have a 2016 75D and it has lost 7% of the range (it has 25k miles on it now).

I think it will boil down to your budget and not necessarily which version of MCU/AP it has. You can't go wrong with a fair priced 75D with MCU1/AP1. If you get it from Tesla (depending on the mileage/year) you will either get a 2 year/25K miles or 4 year/50K mile warranty) which should mitigate some if not all the issues others have mentioned above.

We love our November delivery AP 2.5 MCU1 2017 75D. Unless you currently have an SR/SR+ model 3 your charge rate will be slower with the 75D (48A vs 80A). Honestly, for the way we take trips I've never actually wished that the car charged faster.

As far as sentry mode is concerned, confirm that it can actually record the video. IIRC only hardware 2.5 and 3 can record the video versus just having the alarm.

Let us know what you decide.

Unless you currently have an SR/SR+ model 3 your charge rate will be slower with the 75D (48A vs 80A). Honestly, for the way we take trips I've never actually wished that the car charged faster.

I’m not quite sure what you mean by this.

If you’re referring to the onboard AC (level 2) charger, the Model S came with either a 48 or 72 amp option in 2017. The Model 3 comes with a 32 amp (SR/SR+) or 48 amp (all others) onboard charger. So the S is at least as capable if not more than all Model 3s.

If talking about supercharging, the amperage of the onboard charger is irrelevant. As of recently, ALL Model 3s will have max supercharging rates higher than the S. SR and SR+ Model 3s can now charge up to 170kw. The S75 will see 110-120kw max.