Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions on centre cap colours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the centre caps that came with my new rims aren't my favorite. They have the logo of the rim mfg on them and I don't like them. So, I'm going to spray them and am looking for opinions on what people think. As a refresher here is what they look like with the red caliper paint from Spence:

IMG_20181012_083749.jpg
IMG_20181014_165134.jpg
IMG_20181012_083729.jpg
IMG_20181014_165006.jpg
IMG_20181012_083720.jpg

I ordered a set of red tesla 'T' logos from Amazon today. Curious what people think of the following combos:

-white centre cap + red T
-black centre cap + red T
-silver centre cap + red T
-silver centre cap without anything else

I sprayed them with white plastidip today as a test since it could be easily removed. Initially I was thinking the white cap and red T would compliment the red brake + white letters, but holding it up I think it may not look as good as I expected once I get the red T on there...the white just doesn't seem to flow well with the rims.

I think the Silver + T is what I think will look best, but not sure the paint I have willl match the wheels' aluminum. So maybe the black + T will be the best bet since the black will match the hub which Spence painted black plus the tires....

What do 'yawll think? o_O

Reactions: Lon12
I bought center cap stickers with a Tesla logo for my 3rd party wheels from 3dcarstickers
Just order the size you need and stick them over your existing center caps.
Well made and look good, they have a thick domed layer of resin covering the design/logo

more colour selections than when I bought 1.5yrs ago - I have the ones with silver Tesla logo and graphite grey background (for graphite coloured wheels) , they're still holding up and looking new. if you want pics let me know and I'll find some of them on my wheels

Last edited:
Silver and red

Nice. Did you have a chance to weigh the wheels and tires together or separately?

I too would love to know the weight of those rims they look great. Share more pics when you get the caps.

I asked before buying them and was told 21 lbs. Weighed one when I got it and got 20.5lbs on my bathroom scale. Not sure about its accuracy, but close enough for me.

For reference that's about what the aero wheels weigh without the covers I'm pretty sure.

The other set of rims I really liked we're 27lbs, so went with the lighter option.

Reactions: Darscot and 03DSG
I bought center cap stickers with a Tesla logo for my 3rd party wheels from 3dcarstickers
Just order the size you need and stick them over your existing center caps.
Well made and look good, they have a thick domed layer of resin covering the design/logo

more colour selections than when I bought 1.5yrs ago - I have the ones with silver Tesla logo and graphite grey background (for graphite coloured wheels) , they're still holding up and looking new. if you want pics let me know and I'll find some of them on my wheels
Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out for sure.

nice looking RIMs . how are you enjoying the car. I still cant get over it.
Even after having 2 volts (gen 1 and gen 2), as well as my wifes bolt, which is arguably the best non-tesla EV.....and the model 3 blows them all out of the water.

To be honest, there are a few things about the Bolt I wish the model 3 had (will likely make a post about that in a day or two), but overall there is no comparison at all...even factoring in the AWD + EAP version I have cost about double my wife's bolt (because she got the rebate and I didn't, so her car was about 42k out the door...mine was 85k.....)

....crap, when I put it that way it really does sink in....ah, f-it I still love the thing :rolleyes:

So, just to close on this thread ('cause I know so many of you care :rolleyes:) I painted the after market caps and applied a red tesla T decal. It took a few tries because as it turns out I wanted to clear coat them after painting, and the clear coat was incompatible with the paint I was using....kept dissolving it like a solvent. Had to paint/strip/paint a few times before I realized this was what was happening...anywho....

Maybe its because I got used to the look without the caps, but I'm not totally digging the look to tell you the truth. Or maybe its that the centre caps are slightly convex, and I think it would look better with a flat cap like the Tesla caps?

upload_2018-10-24_12-8-29.png

upload_2018-10-24_12-9-5.png

upload_2018-10-24_12-10-24.png

upload_2018-10-24_12-10-51.png

Good job on the paint job and I agree - it looks weird - takes attention away from the red calipers. It's like our brains see red in two spots and is confused which is more important!

However, maybe they'll grow on you like the Pearl White =P

View attachment 346796

I love the red centre caps but agree that they may not work as well on the bright finish. I'm very happy with my 3Dcarsticker centre caps.
Yeah, those look much better on your rims. I'm thinking I should have gone silver and white. If I'm crazy maybe I will try and spray them with plastidip white and use a knife to cut out the T and pull the rest....or in actuality probably easier to just order a set from the 3d sticker company and save all the hassle.....I spent way too much time on this already :oops:

So, just to close on this thread ('cause I know so many of you care :rolleyes:) I painted the after market caps and applied a red tesla T decal. It took a few tries because as it turns out I wanted to clear coat them after painting, and the clear coat was incompatible with the paint I was using....kept dissolving it like a solvent. Had to paint/strip/paint a few times before I realized this was what was happening...anywho....

Maybe its because I got used to the look without the caps, but I'm not totally digging the look to tell you the truth. Or maybe its that the centre caps are slightly convex, and I think it would look better with a flat cap like the Tesla caps?

View attachment 346615
View attachment 346616

View attachment 346617

View attachment 346618

Hey @pcons , where did you get your center caps for these wheels? I'm thinking of getting a set of these as my winter tire solution.