TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Opinions on charging options for EVs

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by energyrsch, May 30, 2017.

1. energyrsch

energyrsch New Member

I am working with a team of researchers on an electric vehicle study at Michigan State University. Through this survey, we seek to better understand the opinions of EV owners of different charging options (particularly stationary charging vs. roadway charging). You'll be entered into a drawing for a $100 Amazon gift card.

You must be 18 years old to take the survey. It takes about 15 minutes to complete and can be found here
    https://msu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6lifbEiFEIGD7RX. Thanks for your help!

2. daniel

daniel Active Member

Survey taken. I found it quite silly that they asked about charging preferences on a 15-mile trip. Whaaa?? They also asked about wireless on-road charging. I presume this means charging your car while driving on specially-built roads. I regard this idea as idiotic. The cost would be astronomical.

Anyway, I hope you get enough responses to be helpful. Of course, there's always the problem of self-selection with on-line surveys.

3. democappy

democappy Member

Just took the survey and had very similar thoughts. Why would I need to charge on a 15-mile trip? Why would I drive out of way at all for charging on a 20 minute trip? Answered as best I could, but some of the questions on super short distances are weird. Charging options really only matter on long trips for me.

I don't fully understand how the specialty-built charging roads would function, so I won't call it idiotic yet. However, I also don't see how you could possibly justify the cost. More fast charging and improvements in that technology is the most ideal.

• Disagree x 1
  4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

in order to conduct such research it would be better if the researchers had more understanding of what they are researching.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  5. daniel

daniel Active Member

It kind of seems as though they expect some of their survey takers to be driving EVs with 10 or 20 miles of total range. The stock Zap Xebra had 20 miles of range, though I bought mine with an aftermarket battery pack which doubled that. And even then I didn't charge away from home. If I had to go more than 40 miles I took the stinker.

kort677 hit the nail on the head!

energyrsch, maybe you could come back and comment?