Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions on Chill mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to use chill mode regularly around town, but don't so much any more except when I'm hypermiling on a longer leg between chargers. I would really appreciate if chill mode worked as it does for the first half of the throttle, but still allowed access to full performance when I floor it. From time to time you need a little extra spurt of power to merge in traffic that chill mode denies.

I used to flip Chill mode on for some morning commutes - it seemed to even out the AP acceleration. And for a while there I was doing some minor hypermiling to get a feel for how efficient I could be in winter.

Then I had to pull off a tricky merge, stood on the pedal to get in front of a semi - I made it with room to spare, but thought the car felt slow. After the fact, realized I had forgotten Chill was on. It hasn't been back on since (except snow days). The AP accel is a bit jerky, but I'll deal with that more easily than not having the expected power when I want it.

I used chill mode once... never again. I prefer to just train my foot do drive smoothly with the full power available rather than try to acclimate to two different profiles on the car. I'd hate to be in a situation where I expect the power to be available and it just wasn't there.

That said, my wife's profile is chill all the way. She doesn't drive the Mode 3 often and is coming from a crossover that goes 0-60 in about 10 seconds so I would not want her to floor it in sport and not be prepared for what follows.

Chill mode in weather rain/snow and long trips for -15wh/mi. It matters as you don't floor it accidentally, so you definitely get better wh/mi over long distances.
I really wish AP had chill mode (toggle preference) on as your not driving so let it be more efficient. When you disable AP it should go back to what you set it to. This gives you best of both worlds.

Not an owner yet, but my test drive of an LR included a lot of heavy traffic, and I found absolutely no reason to ever switch from standard to chill mode. I used 'hold' mode the entire test drive, and I could crawl at a snail's pace without even feeling the car moving. I consider myself having pretty good throttle control (I'm a motorcyclist too), but it's something anybody can master. Found this EV amazing on how smooth it can be in traffic, and how aggressive at the same time when needed. Best throttle I've ever sampled; period. As others have mentioned, a lazy throttle can be a hazard, so I'd better learn how to be smooth in standard mode :).

Not an owner yet, but my test drive of an LR included a lot of heavy traffic, and I found absolutely no reason to ever switch from standard to chill mode. I used 'hold' mode the entire test drive, and I could crawl at a snail's pace without even feeling the car moving. I consider myself having pretty good throttle control (I'm a motorcyclist too), but it's something anybody can master. Found this EV amazing on how smooth it can be in traffic, and how aggressive at the same time when needed. Best throttle I've ever sampled; period. As others have mentioned, a lazy throttle can be a hazard, so I'd better learn how to be smooth in standard mode :).

No matter how hard you try, your foot pressure will vary by a large amount. The only way to combat that in efficiency is chill mode.
Thats like saying a GT500 mustang can get the same mileage as the base mustang if I feather the pedal.

it's on for my teenage son's driving profile. (he needs 60 hours of driving before he can get his license). As is Creep, soft steering, and everything else I could find to make it more like a ICE car.

wow you trust a new driver in your 3? that said maybe when the car is 5 y.o and my son is old enough I might trust him more

I only ever use it when I'm on a road trip trying to hypermile the car. Otherwise, having the full acceleration capabilities is safer in the event there is a need for an emergency maneuver. That and it is just a lot more fun.

re: trying to hypermile the car, does chill really help when compared to being gentle with throttle?

I will insist my wife uses chill mode when we get our M3P. She treats every car she drives as an on/off switch.

My wife is the exact opposite. She has a '12 Hyundai Elantra, and absolutely refuses to use the autostick part of the gear shifter, then she gets annoyed when it doesn't shift right for the road conditions. I've demonstrated how useful it can be but she believes she shouldn't have to do that much work to drive it.

re: trying to hypermile the car, does chill really help when compared to being gentle with throttle?

It is easier to be gentle with teh throttle in chill. I am not convinced it helps much, especially if there is very little traffic. But when driving through a lot of cities with a lot of cars, chill definitely helps the driver keep the car more in a steady state condition, which isn't as big of a deal as it is with an ICE car.

I tried chill mode with comfort steering. Once. Never again.

I felt much more in control and nimble in sport mode. For me the acceleration has helped me avoid potentially dangerous situations time and again. And my background is in slow cars like Priuses, which always struggled to keep up with traffic and merges. You can’t underestimate how much safer I feel because the car is fast!