TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Opinions on Model X order design

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Finder, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Finder

Finder Member

Hi,

First post here - hi everyone. Just took the plunge as another recent post said - wanted to get some opinions on the design as I sit here through the wait to delivery.

Expecting delivery by the end of the year on a Model X 90D. Order placed 10/29, confirmed on 11/5. DS says it will begin build on 11/28 and be delivered by the end of the year (likely 3rd or 4th week in December). E-mail confirmation said December - early January for anyone keeping track on recent orders.

As far as the options go, I went with Peal White, Glossy Obeche Wood, Ultra white Six seat, 20 inch slipstream wheels, EAP, Self-Driving, PUP, UHF Sound, Subzero Weather Package, and High Amperage Charger Upgrade. Basically all the 90D options except standard wheels and no tow package.

Only area I am second guessing myself on is the tow package - I don't plan on doing any towing and don't have heavy duty bike transport needs so I didn't think I needed it. With that said, I keep wondering if it would have been good to have in case I need a bike rack later - but I could always use our other car for that. At the end of the day I was trying to save on the tow hitch little since I went option crazy with the initial order - and I can see myself never using it. I just hate passing on options you can never add later (from what I have read the mount for the hitch isn't there on more recent models without the tow package).

Anyone out there regret not getting the tow package now that the accessory hitch option is gone? I could still add it but there would be a $500 change fee plus the $750 for the hitch - apparently, they have a no exceptions policy on changes after confirmation. I was a little surprised they enforce it so strictly, but considering the change fee lets you alter any aspect of the vehicle I get why they charge the fee each time you make a change.

Any other thoughts on the design? Looking forward to getting it though - when I test drove the Model X it was the first time I ever though "I have to have this car". The fact that my wife fell in love with it like I did when we kept the test model overnight was a great confirmation it was the right purchase! Looking forward to the delivery!

Thanks!

2. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Don't all Model X's come with the receiver standard? You just cannot tow with it (at least not over 3500 lbs)

3. Finder

Finder Member

Read elsewhere on the forum that unless the tow package is ordered the mount for the receiver isn't there under the bumper:
    Accessory tow hitch part #

Posted a similar thread on the Tesla forums and someone suggested there might indeed be safety advantages of removing the reinforced area under the bumper meant for the tow package (crumple zone is less effective with tow reinforcement) so that might explain why the receiver isn't standard.

4. TJtv

TJtv Member

High amp charger? Why?

Paying for self driving now when it's likely MANY years away from reality?

5. Finder

Finder Member

@TJtv - I have a long distance drive up in the mountains that has no superchargers. Just so happens there is an 80 amp destination charger at the top and bottom of the mountain just in case so I went for it.

On the self driving thing - call me optimistic, but I believe Elon will get the self driving tech out sooner than many think. Figured I would save $1,000 by getting it paid for up front and support the cause in the process. You are probably right about it being a long ways away - my friends keep telling me the car will never drive itself while I own it, but I like to believe it will.

6. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I strongly recommend getting the tow package. When you're not using it, it hides away so you'll not see it, and it'll always be there in case you need it (you can't add it afterwards). Also, it may help with resale value.

On the other hand, the Self-Driving is at least 2 years away, so you'll be paying for something that you won't be able to use for 2+ years. And this is an option you *can* add later, so if you wanted to hold off on something, this should be it.

It's like buying an iPhone and getting the 16G model (instead of 32G or 64G). With the money you saved, you plan to buy an expensive home automation app that you hope to be able to use in a couple of years when you finally get around to installing the hardware in your house.

7. Finder

Finder Member

Thanks for the feedback vandacca. Good iPhone analogy there.

Big factor in taking the plunge on the car in general is because of the new self driving hardware. I get that it might be a few years but figure I will turn it on for sure when it comes so I might as well save $1000 and support Tesla in the process. I am ok with that choice honestly - even if it means parking some money with Tesla for a disabled feature for now.

For the tow hitch - great point about not being able to add it later. Curious if anyone who didn't have an immediate need for the hitch (like me) really needed it later. Potentially enhanced safety/crumple zones without the hitch (and the change fee) have me leaning towards going without it since I might never use it. Could always take the wheel off a bike or put it in between the 2nd row seats with the 6 seat config. They also make some decent suction mounts too.

8. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

Why the Subzero Weather Package? Never needed it here in NC. Warm up before.

9. Finder

Finder Member

You are probably going to laugh at me but the kids really wanted the heated 2nd/3rd row seats. When I asked them what they liked about the car (the loaner we kept overnight had it) they had the heated rear seats at the top of the list. I am a sucker for what the kids want :)

Tell you what, having the Model X overnight from the showroom really made a big difference. Instead of me convincing the family how great it was, I had the kids asking me 3 times a day if we were getting it.

Kids freaked out with the FWDs at first though (were scared of them) - once they understood how to open and close the doors they were completely on board though.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  10. mspisars

mspisars Member

Well, I thought that too, until I wanted to upgrade after delivery. You end up not only paying more for the feature, but also paying a higher tax rate (7.5% vs new car sales tax of 3% in NC), so there is definitely a reason for purchasing options you know you will want down the road.

11. mspisars

mspisars Member

I think all EV's should come standard with heated seats as that is the most economical way of keeping passengers warm :)

We got the sub-zero package because of this option + heated steering wheel.

12. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

Sub-zero is "needed" like power windows are "needed." But I'll take both, please, thanks.

• Like x 2