Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions on this style jack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would strongly advise using two sissor jacks for emergency on the road, otherwise use a floor jack when at home in your garage.
And also to put some wheel blocks on the opposite side.

The car is very heavy and the more you are moving up the car, the more it become difficult to crank up.
Having two sissors jack help to balance the load, cranking is more easy by alaternatively cranking each jack, like one inch up at the time.

This is also more secure, not only by having two lifting point, but also the big issue when lifting a car,
is that the car might have tendency to slip a little bit in one direction, unless you are in a perfect flat location.
So when using two sissors jacks, you can then readjust the position of one of the jacks, to avoid the sissor jack to get too much torsion.

See a previous posting about the jacks I carry for emergency, a 2.5 T for the rear and a smaller one for the front.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
This Scissor jack is not sufficient, the Model Y weight is 4,555 lbs or about 2 Tons (kilograms).

Here is a good review of various jacks:

Dealing with reality, and I have no idea what kind of tire damage you can acquire in Brooklyn but living on the LEFT coast my tires last 40,000 miles with no trouble, often longer. I've never carried any kind of jack and never felt the need for one. The tire company mounts and balances my tires when I buy them, and that's the last time I mess with tires until I buy new ones again, and I've done this for two cars with over a hundred thousand miles on them. I don't check air pressure but by the display in the car, so I simply don't mess with tires. I once got a screw in the tread and plugged it myself in my garage, but that was years and years and years ago. Modern-day tires are pretty tough.

I would strongly advise using two sissor jacks for emergency on the road, otherwise use a floor jack when at home in your garage.

The car is very heavy and the more you are moving up the car, the more it become difficult to crank up.
Having two sissors jack help to balance the load, cranking is more easy by alaternatively cranking each jack, like one inch up at the time.

This is also more secure, not only by having two lifting point, but also the big issue when lifting a car,
is that the car might have tendency to slip a little bit in one direction, unless you are in a perfect flat location.
So when using two sissors jacks, you can then readjust the position of one of the jacks, to avoid the sissor jack to get too much torsion.

See a previous posting about the jacks I carry for emergency, a 2.5 T for the rear and a smaller one for the front.

I bought the Audi one like you have as the smaller jack. Just was wondering if this was a good option of a second one for the rear.

Dealing with reality, and I have no idea what kind of tire damage you can acquire in Brooklyn but living on the LEFT coast my tires last 40,000 miles with no trouble, often longer. I've never carried any kind of jack and never felt the need for one. The tire company mounts and balances my tires when I buy them, and that's the last time I mess with tires until I buy new ones again, and I've done this for two cars with over a hundred thousand miles on them. I don't check air pressure but by the display in the car, so I simply don't mess with tires. I once got a screw in the tread and plugged it myself in my garage, but that was years and years and years ago. Modern-day tires are pretty tough.
I think it rains screws and nails in Brooklyn. I had 2 flat tires within the first 3 months of having my Model Y. Both were screws next to the sidewall, so non repairable. The AAA and roadside service is terrible here. With my old Mini Cooper, I would sometimes have to wait 3-4 hours for a tow truck. Would love to just repair and get back on the road.

I recently completed a trip to the New York area and can report that the condition of parts of the NJ Turnpike (southern part of the state of New Jersey from the Delaware state line north, Long Island Expressway (Queens, New York City and Nassau County, LI) and the Belt Parkway (Brooklyn) were very poor. The road was uneven and cratered with potholes that would frequently be encountered at highway speeds. I feel this one trip took years of life off of my Tesla vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 101dals

Of course belt and braces is never a bad thing (except perhaps in monetary terms)and ensuring the best conditions for jacking is essential.

I have a Modern Spare and the supplied scissor jack which, with it's 2T capacity, is excellent.
The MY LR weighs 4,416llbs. If we round down the jacks's capacity to 4,000llbs, then the jack could carry 0.9 of the Teslas weight. Lifting at the rear and taking into account the larger rear motor, the jack would actually be lifting a maximum of 0.75 (possibly less) or +- 3,300llbs.

Who is the engineering genius who has libelled the Modern Spare scissor jack as crappy (consider this this a rhetorical question please.)

Although the Tesla Model Y weighs ~4400 lbs you are only lifting half the weight of the vehicle when you raise the vehicle using a floor jack or scissor jack. A 2-ton rated jack should be adequate for changing a tire or rotating wheels front to back.

Is that half the weight because the CG of the vehicle is down the longitudinal axis, but the jack gets placed at the side of the vehicle so that means for the moment to be the same, then double the distance is half the weight

. . . or something

I'm confused now

Is that half the weight because the CG of the vehicle is down the longitudinal axis, but the jack gets placed at the side of the vehicle so that means for the moment to be the same, then double the distance is half the weight

. . . or something

I'm confused now
When lifting two wheels off the ground the remaining two wheels support approximately half the weight. Since I posted this I have learned that a jack should be rated for at least 3/4 of the weight of the vehicle; so for the Tesla Model Y (4400 lbs) 3/4 is 3300 lbs or just over 1.5 tons. A jack rated for 2 tons (4000 lbs) would be adequate for lifting the Tesla Model Y, no need for a heavier duty jack unless you want one. It should be a low profile floor jack to ensure the jack can fit underneath the vehicle even when one tire is flat else you will need to drive onto a board to raise the vehicle slightly to fit the jack into position.

When lifting two wheels off the ground the remaining two wheels support approximately half the weight. Since I posted this I have learned that a jack should be rated for at least 3/4 of the weight of the vehicle; so for the Tesla Model Y (4400 lbs) 3/4 is 3300 lbs or just over 1.5 tons. A jack rated for 2 tons (4000 lbs) would be adequate for lifting the Tesla Model Y, no need for a heavier duty jack unless you want one. It should be a low profile floor jack to ensure the jack can fit underneath the vehicle even when one tire is flat else you will need to drive onto a board to raise the vehicle slightly to fit the jack into position.
Glad you agree😉