Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

opinions on trade-in offer for my S85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering trading in my S85 and interested in thoughts on the offer.

I am the original owner, in California
2014 S85 with AP1 and all options except I have 19 inch wheels
43k miles
no accidents

Offered $33k as a trade in on a new car.

Seems these are going for around $40k private party but I don't know the market. Thoughts?

Trade in will always always be lower than private sales.
The company taking your car needs to make a profit and if they are forwarding the car to a 'Used car company' , that company will want to make a profit too.

The pros of trade in....you drive in, give your keys....x weeks later, pickup new car keys........zero hassle, zero transport department queuing, zero driving out to show car to buyers......

If 40k is private sell then 33k is an expected offer. I asked the Tesla person if they would match a CarMax offer when I traded in my Ford Flex. They accepted and I was able to gain a couple of thousand taking it to CarMax. Perhaps you could do the same?

Reactions: GasDoc84
Seeing as a 6 year newer car with a lot of extra features, is faster, AWD, more efficient and goes half again as far is only $80k I think that is plenty fair.

Honestly I am surprised used prices haven't fallen further with the huge range gains and price cut in the last year or so.

I have a 2014 P85 so I am not saying this as someone wanting to buy one cheaper.

My car was probably over $100k new, I don't have the sticker, I bought it 2.5 years ago at 65k for $50k, honestly with 95k on it I suspect $33-35k is all I would get private sale. Yours is AP with less than half the miles so I think the numbers you are working with a reasonable.

I received same amount in December 2018 for my March 2014 Model S, rwd, no ap, 74k miles, vin 32xxxx.

This offer was without any type of physical inspection. I was told that their offer was 35% of original sticker.

I saw it listed on the Tesla site 4 months later (with extended warranty) for just $2k more than trade in amount.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: ra88it and JøhP

43k miles
no accidents

Seems these are going for around $40k private party but I don't know the market. Thoughts?
Tesla trade in offers are pretty low. If I was selling my 2015 85D with 58K miles I would list for sale st $42K. I track the pricing because I will be selling at some point this year. My 85D stickered for approx $100K when new.

My thoughts are, that it’s a low offer, but typical for trade in. And for me, it’s worth a bit of effort to get thousands of dollars more into my pocket by selling privately.
Since you specifically asked for thoughts...

My thoughts are, that it’s a low offer, but typical for trade in. And for me, it’s worth a bit of effort to get thousands of dollars more into my pocket by selling privately.
Since you specifically asked for thoughts...
Some states allow sales tax to be reduced by trade in value so that can be a factor. Often this can make it not worth the hassle to sell private

If 40k is private sell then 33k is an expected offer. I asked the Tesla person if they would match a CarMax offer when I traded in my Ford Flex. They accepted and I was able to gain a couple of thousand taking it to CarMax. Perhaps you could do the same?

When I was buying mine I contemplated trading in my truck. I called Tesla and they said they offer KBB for non Tesla vehicles, but any car (including Tesla) they will price match a Carmax offer. And like ekendahl said, you will probably gain a couple thousand by doing that.

My thoughts; Take it to Carmax for an offer, then put it up for sale privately (if you think you can get more). The Carmax offers stand for a couple of weeks IIRC. If it doesn't sell then trade it with Tesla or Carmax, whichever makes your situation easier.

43k miles
no accidents

I sold my first Tesla, 2013 S with 58k miles, for $6K more than the Tesla trade in offer using cars.com. From my experience, Tesla will pay $5-6K less than market, building in room for their carrying cost and margin.

$33K seems low, given low miles and AP1. Lots of people are looking for preowned Model S in California. You can check comps on variety of websites, and see if it’s worth your time to get more.

Last edited: