Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions / Thoughts on Model S CPO Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, new potential owner here. I've been lurking for a bit but thought it might be time to bite the bullet on a purchase and want your opinions.

- I want a Model S P100 with Ludicrous and FSD
- Ready to purchase now, but also want to wait for Plaid
- I dont want to wait another 6-12 months - I'm ready to start enjoying the car now
- Looking at certified pre-owned: it might make sense to go used now until what I really want becomes available
- The bulk of depreciation has already occurred, so I won't take too much of a hit when I sell again in a year or less

I'm in Denver, so this would be an easy pick-up for me. What are your thoughts on this specific vehicle and my approach?

2016 Model S | Tesla

Thanks for your input!

For me your link pulls up multiple cars. Not one. Don’t know if the one you wanted is now gone or?

I went ahead and threw down the $100 to reserve it because I didnt want to lose it. Here are the specs and pictures - thanks again for looking!

2016 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1E44GF169652 | False, Fa | Tesla

$67k / 32k miles

Model S
100D Ludicrous Performance
Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
Silver Metallic Paint
Sunroof
21" Grey Turbine Wheels
Black Tesla Premium Seats
Dark Ash Wood Décor
Light Headliner
Ludicrous Mode
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Red Brake Calipers
Free Unlimited Supercharging
Power and Lighting Package
Full Self-Driving Capability
Premium Upgrades Package
Smart Air Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Subzero Weather Package

I think you did fine—you’ll really enjoy the new ride. If you’re into "keep up with the Joneses" then by all means take a hit on this depreciation and spend another $125K+ later.

Unless something changes dramatically I don’t see the added cost worth changing out your new ride anytime soon—even for plaid mode.

keep the cash and do something else with it. Good luck on the inspection; hope it meets to your satisfaction..

Reactions: Iceh8r
Agreed with BlueOval. Also, the Plaid will be brand new. Generally speaking, I dont buy beta/first model year of any brand new design, especially powertrain related as there are always bugs to be worked out. I also typcially never buy brand new. I prefer letting someone else take huge depreciation hits those first 2-3 years. (But thats just me and my money).

I think you have a deposit down on a solid car. Get it and enjoy it!

I also agree. It’s a beautiful car and appears to be in good shape from the pictures. Make sure you inspect it thoroughly and are happy with it at delivery. Schedule any repairs that are needed as soon as possible. You will want to get a winter set of tires and wheels if you plan to drive it in snow and ice. I hope the delivery goes well and you enjoy it!

I went ahead and threw down the $100 to reserve it because I didnt want to lose it. Here are the specs and pictures - thanks again for looking!

2016 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1E44GF169652 | False, Fa | Tesla

$67k / 32k miles

Model S
100D Ludicrous Performance
Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
Silver Metallic Paint
Sunroof
21" Grey Turbine Wheels
Black Tesla Premium Seats
Dark Ash Wood Décor
Light Headliner
Ludicrous Mode
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Red Brake Calipers
Free Unlimited Supercharging
Power and Lighting Package
Full Self-Driving Capability
Premium Upgrades Package
Smart Air Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Subzero Weather Package

Amazing how much more you get for your money these days, compared to just 18 months ago!

Agree with the others. 2016 was a good year except for suspension. I would not want to wait for a non sunroof plaid model, impacted by Covid delays.

Make sure you can look at the car before delivery, if not, get the SA to take a pic of Rated Range and battery percent. Divide the two and see if you are within 10% of EPA RR. Note, this is an approximation of real range and battery capacity.

love the color (same as mine) I’ve purchased a brand new Tesla in 2013. And then purchased a used from Tesla last year. My purchase was flawless as was the car. I agree with the above poster that while you might think you want plaid once you drive a Tesla with Ludi you won’t miss anything. Enjoy the car.

If you absolutely must have the P and Ludicrous mode, then there is a substantial premium over a slower model that still crushes most ICE cars on the street.

If you don't absolutely need that launch and 0-60 2.4s (or 2.2s?), then you can have a ton of cash left to buy a lot of other fun stuff, including half a dozen 86" Samsung TVs on sale now.

However, the heart wants what the heart wants, so have tons of fun with whatever you wish.

There is no such thing as CPO when it comes to Tesla. Just used cars.

Tesla does not do any reconditioning. The state you get it in depends on the previous owner.

How does this work then? I ordered a 2017 P100D about a week ago and from the pictures it looked like it was in very good condition. If I show up to the delivery and there are obvious cosmetic issues that were not in the pictures there isn't anything I can outside of just walking away?

How does this work then? I ordered a 2017 P100D about a week ago and from the pictures it looked like it was in very good condition. If I show up to the delivery and there are obvious cosmetic issues that were not in the pictures there isn't anything I can outside of just walking away?
they are banking on you not walking away. Or if you do, they will just let you...walk away. They know the demand is high for their product.

They will only fix mechanical issues under warranty, nothing else.
Not to state the obvious, but electrical problems too. What they won't fix are squeaks and rattles, and cosmetic issues, unless perhaps you can prove the pictures misrepresented the car. In that case, goodwill is possible.

If I had to guess what kind of car got returned to Telsa, it was probably a lease. If it was sold, owner probably getting another Tesla. In either case, I think the owner would have ample reason to present the car in as near pristine condition as possible. Tesla does get crappy cars I am sure, but if they can't be flipped without a light cleaning they go straight to auction.

I still would recommend buying a Tesla used. It is hard to argue the fact you are avoiding 30k of depreciation and basically the same, or better, warranty as new.

Reactions: Cheburashka