Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions wanted: 2016 Base Model S or new Model Y

Keep 2016 S or purchase new Y?

• Keep 2016 S

• Buy 2020 Y

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I previously posted in the Model Y forum this exact question, but wonder whether doing it in a specific forum may skew results. So I am asking the Model S group the same thing...please and thank you in advance for any votes or thoughts on this question.

I recognize this is probably merely personal opinion and based on my use case, but I am wondering what the Tesla community thinks about this.

I have a late 16 (post-refresh) Model S 75 with FSD (got in on the $2000 deal). AP3.0 (just updated), MCU1. Literally no options on my car...solid roof, the low end seats, you get the drill.

I am debating between buying the MCU2 upgrade for the S for about $2800, or trading the 2016 S to the Model Y without FSD for about $13,000 out the door.

Model S has just over 39K miles, and is CPO warrantied until 68K miles.

Pros to Model S:
Cooler looking car. Has FSD already. I think I like the two screens, but would probably get used to one. Less expensive to keep/upgrade the S. Free supercharging (I use it sometimes, not a ton.). Free premium connectivity for life.

Cons to S. At 90% charge, I get about 207 miles on the screen, somewhat less in real life. (The extra range of the Y is probably the biggest draw of all.). Slightly more expensive to insure than a new Y (which surprised me a little).

Pros to Y:
Supposed to be 316 miles on the screen, probably more like 290-300 in reality. Feels like better space. (I have a 2 year old and a car seat that just seems to fit better.) New car, no miles. Comes with a better sound system than what I have, and that is kind of nice for me. Already has MCU2. Less expensive insurance.

Cons to Y:
FSD is not included in my calculation, and I may wait or never add it to the Y. The S does seem like somewhat a level up, although, that may be muted if and when it is refreshed, which may well be soon...

Anyone out there that has had this debate in their head? Am I nuts to trade my S?

I'm just looking for any opinions that might help me decide. Thank you in advance.

I previously posted in the Model Y forum this exact question, but wonder whether doing it in a specific forum may skew results. So I am asking the Model S group the same thing...please and thank you in advance for any votes or thoughts on this question.

I recognize this is probably merely personal opinion and based on my use case, but I am wondering what the Tesla community thinks about this.

I have a late 16 (post-refresh) Model S 75 with FSD (got in on the $2000 deal). AP3.0 (just updated), MCU1. Literally no options on my car...solid roof, the low end seats, you get the drill.

I am debating between buying the MCU2 upgrade for the S for about $2800, or trading the 2016 S to the Model Y without FSD for about $13,000 out the door.

Model S has just over 39K miles, and is CPO warrantied until 68K miles.

Pros to Model S:
Cooler looking car. Has FSD already. I think I like the two screens, but would probably get used to one. Less expensive to keep/upgrade the S. Free supercharging (I use it sometimes, not a ton.). Free premium connectivity for life.

Cons to S. At 90% charge, I get about 207 miles on the screen, somewhat less in real life. (The extra range of the Y is probably the biggest draw of all.). Slightly more expensive to insure than a new Y (which surprised me a little).

Pros to Y:
Supposed to be 316 miles on the screen, probably more like 290-300 in reality. Feels like better space. (I have a 2 year old and a car seat that just seems to fit better.) New car, no miles. Comes with a better sound system than what I have, and that is kind of nice for me. Already has MCU2. Less expensive insurance.

Cons to Y:
FSD is not included in my calculation, and I may wait or never add it to the Y. The S does seem like somewhat a level up, although, that may be muted if and when it is refreshed, which may well be soon...

Anyone out there that has had this debate in their head? Am I nuts to trade my S?

I'm just looking for any opinions that might help me decide. Thank you in advance.

Impossible to answer for you but I have the same S75 with 200 miles at 90%. While that range is adequate for my needs I understand your concerns and desire for more range. Other than range I couldn't be happier with my car and would not make the switch myself. And I don't even have FSD.

Impossible to answer for you but I have the same S75 with 200 miles at 90%. While that range is adequate for my needs I understand your concerns and desire for more range. Other than range I couldn't be happier with my car and would not make the switch myself. And I don't even have FSD.
Well, I made the jump. Picking her up in 30 minutes. That is, assuming build quality is there. I am planning to be quite picky with this and I am not afraid to reject if need be...