Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions Wanted: Upgrade to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious. I've never heard it called a traction battery. Where does that term originate from?
That's what we call it at work. I work with heavy duty zero-emission vehicles. I don't where it came from, but I first heard it in the 1990s from guys who designed motor drives. Transportation is a traction application and the motor drives (inverters) are configured for traction as opposed to say, servo operation. So I think it was natural to call the energy source a traction battery, especially to distinguish it from the low voltage battery. I am not up to speed on Tesla terminology or light duty vehicles in general, but I'm catching up.

• Informative
Reactions: dbldwn02
And you actually can rearrange all those apps to have up to 4 permanently in the bottom balk. Which leaves one on the right that will be the last used from the ones not in the balk. Long press on one of the app to enable "edit" mode.

The interface for the climate can also be opened by swiping up your finger from anywhere in the bottom balk. Really anywhere: you can even put your finger on an icon, as long as you swipe up

I was for a long time bummed by the darker image, but for my car (*) this was very recently (2022.4.3.5) restored to what - in my eyes- it was with MCU1.

(*) I believe there are many different hardware components in our cars, for the same feature, making that updates solving things for one do not help others yet, but it's a matter of time until they get to your hardware.
Thanks for the MCU2 tips. I haven’t driven much since the upgrade to explore it but great to know. I’ll have to play around with it. I guess I’m just used to the manual never working in MCU1 lol
I’m just happy no more lava lamp looking screens and the leaking gel smell is finally starting to fade.

Reactions: AustinP
I just had the infotainment upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 last week and included the FM radio turner. $2000. I have a 2016 MX P90D. I have a full warranty until April 2023, free premium connectivity for life and free supercharging for life. I decided to go ahead and do it instead of just doing the recall for the eemc memory chip. I really like the car and intend to keep it another 5 or more years. It could be the last car I own and that would be fine with me.

I do not regret it. My music and navigation are smooth and fast. No buffering when streaming music which I had on the old system. It had gotten so bad I could hardly use it.

The only problem is my glovebox switch and four way flasher switch no longer work. These are actual electromechanical switches. I cannot open the glovebox or turn on flashers. Both switches are integrated into the frame of the main screen which was replaced. I have a mobile tech coming next week to fix it. Anyone else have this?

I saw someone else said they did this upgrade and their horn did not work. I have to check mine.

I just had the infotainment upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 last week and included the FM radio turner. $2000. I have a 2016 MX P90D. I have a full warranty until April 2023, free premium connectivity for life and free supercharging for life. I decided to go ahead and do it instead of just doing the recall for the eemc memory chip. I really like the car and intend to keep it another 5 or more years. It could be the last car I own and that would be fine with me.

I do not regret it. My music and navigation are smooth and fast. No buffering when streaming music which I had on the old system. It had gotten so bad I could hardly use it.

The only problem is my glovebox switch and four way flasher switch no longer work. These are actual electromechanical switches. I cannot open the glovebox or turn on flashers. Both switches are integrated into the frame of the main screen which was replaced. I have a mobile tech coming next week to fix it. Anyone else have this?

I saw someone else said they did this upgrade and their horn did not work. I have to check mine.

I picked up my car, 2014 P85D, earlier today after they finished the Infotainment Upgrade ($1500+tx) and other stuff. They didn't have the FM tuner in stock so I will be returning in a month for that, $500+tx.

My flashers and horn work but not my glovebox. The button is fine because the glove box keypad pops up. After I enter my code nothing happens. I think they forgot to reconnect the solenoid. I am going to ask that they fix that issue ASAP because as it is, I can't get to my registration.

My car has the milling noise and they confirmed it's from the motor, 80k miles. They have one on order and said it will take months before It comes in.
They were supposed to fix a steering click by adding washers to the steering box. They replaced the bolts, covered the box with wax but didn't put the washers in because they forgot to list it on the work order.

Oh, and they creased and scratched the aluminium trim above the center display. I need to show them that.

20220331_140058.jpg

20220331_140102.jpg

Reactions: Erie Electric
I picked up my car, 2014 P85D, earlier today after they finished the Infotainment Upgrade ($1500+tx) and other stuff. They didn't have the FM tuner in stock so I will be returning in a month for that, $500+tx.

My flashers and horn work but not my glovebox. The button is fine because the glove box keypad pops up. After I enter my code nothing happens. I think they forgot to reconnect the solenoid. I am going to ask that they fix that issue ASAP because as it is, I can't get to my registration.

My car has the milling noise and they confirmed it's from the motor, 80k miles. They have one on order and said it will take months before It comes in.
They were supposed to fix a steering click by adding washers to the steering box. They replaced the bolts, covered the box with wax but didn't put the washers in because they forgot to list it on the work order.

Oh, and they creased and scratched the aluminium trim above the center display. I need to show them that.

View attachment 788592
View attachment 788593
That stinks about your trim. Someone took a shortcut because the Tesla manual says to tape the trim to prevent that from happening. I had mine taped already when I took it in since I took it apart myself.
The flasher and the glovebox switches have their own wires to connect to each button. Could be a simple oversight reinstalling. But sounds like your glovebox one may be more involved than that. Possibly the connector to the glovebox. Although the glovebox does not need to be removed to get to the MCU. Somebody unfamiliar may have removed thinking it needed to come out. (I did the same thing. That’s how I know there are a few connectors to it. Light, latch and I think another.) make sure your glovebox light works when you pick it up. Hopefully something that simple.
Make them put the shims for your steering. Mine clicked badly nearing full wheel travel both ways. That started when they did the steering box recall. Took it back twice to be told a couple thousand in parts (no warranty) shotgun approach to change linkages and stuff until they figure it out. I got pissed because it didn’t do it before I took it in. Drove it for a year and mentioned reading about the fix and then they took care of it.

Let me provide closure to my switches not working after having the Infotainment Upgrade a week ago.

Mobile Tech came this morning and confirmed what I predicted. They did not re-connect the glove box switch or the four-way flasher switch when they removed the old computer and screen and put the new one in.

He was very good - second time he has been at my house. He did not remove the screen frame or anything. He simply removed the two long large pieces of trim that run along the bottom of the dash. That gave him just enough access to the backs of the switches - and to the two wire harnesses dangling down inside there - to be able to re-connect them. Ten minutes and he was done. He apologized profusely that they forget to reconnect them originally and then was on his way.

I never thought much about the Tesla Mobile Technicians but having had two really good experiences, I am really sold on it. It is another terrific way that Tesla is differentiating themselves from the rest of the automakers.

Eric, or anybody else with the upgrade, have you tried listening to mp3s on a usb drive?

When I return to the car, I noticed it doesn't resume playing. It always says choose media source.

I plugged in a usb light and found out the power shuts off after 1m30s.

Is this normal behavior or is it another problem I need to bring to their attention?

They are going to replace my dashpad and washers in a few weeks.

Eric, or anybody else with the upgrade, have you tried listening to mp3s on a usb drive?

When I return to the car, I noticed it doesn't resume playing. It always says choose media source.

I plugged in a usb light and found out the power shuts off after 1m30s.

Is this normal behavior or is it another problem I need to bring to their attention?

They are going to replace my dashpad and washers in a few weeks.
I just tried. Both USB ports same results. Played song part way opened door, got out and left about 20 minutes. Came back opened door and is quiet. Screen shows choose media source and defaults to Tidal with a big QR code to set up.
It should default to USB at least if one is present. Not to a subscription service that isn’t even set up. Millennial programmer that has Tidal and doesn’t use USB because that’s old school for them I guess.
I’d still complain about it. Pretty stupid it is set up like that.
I hadn’t used it yet but definitely would be very aggravating.

Notes to self:
  • Photograph trim before upgrade
  • Photograph reverse camera view from monitor before (dark night)
  • Check glovebox switch after
  • Check glovebox light after
  • Check flashers after
  • Check horn after
  • Check FM radio after
  • Photograph reverse camera view from monitor after (dark night, same sight picture, same exposure)
New item:
  • "Flashlight test" to make sure protective film was removed.
Of course I'm kidding myself that Tesla will ever actually perform this upgrade. I'm expecting my next cancellation any day.

Good news: they didn't cancel my appointment.
Bad news: they damaged my back window and so they have to keep it longer.

They did give me a loaner though. It's another model S. 100-something model. Has ludicrous. Fun. Has autosteer. Terrifying. No thanks!

I wish they had given me something other than an S since I've never driven any other model, but I'm not complaining. I'm happy to be driving on Tesla's dime.

I also witnessed this fun scene. I assume this car can't move on its own so they moved it with a forklift. Someone sat in the car and steered.
IMG_4705.jpg

Good news: they didn't cancel my appointment.
Bad news: they damaged my back window and so they have to keep it longer.

They did give me a loaner though. It's another model S. 100-something model. Has ludicrous. Fun. Has autosteer. Terrifying. No thanks!

I wish they had given me something other than an S since I've never driven any other model, but I'm not complaining. I'm happy to be driving on Tesla's dime.

I also witnessed this fun scene. I assume this car can't move on its own so they moved it with a forklift. Someone sat in the car and steered.
View attachment 801502
Curious how a back window gets damaged
On an MCU2 upgrade 🤔

Yep, this has been a long-time problem (years). My best guess is in an attempt to reduce vampire drain, they turn off more of the MCU2 computer and the USB power is shut off. When coming back alive, it needs to rescan the drive (as it could have changed in theory when powered down). Clearly, the USB state could be saved and restored, but this is not done with MCU2 and MCUZ (in Plaid, etc.). Very annoying, but hopefully fixed someday. It's not a hardware issue or anything done wrong with the MCU2 retrofit.

One trick is to use Sentry mode. This keeps the MCU powered up, and the media player will remember the source (USB) and what was playing. The downside is you lose about 1-2 miles of range per hour.

The good:
  • Fan interference noise behind dash is gone as expected.
  • Car wakes up much faster.
  • Navigation works once again.
  • Supports more modern wifi.
  • I didn't run into horn, glove box, hazard, screen film problems like others did.

The bad:
  • Cost over $2000.
  • Reverse camera is dimmer but not as bad as I feared.
  • FM radio has some pops in the sound that do not seem to be related to signal strength.
  • No apparent way to listen to analog FM.
  • The service center scratched my back glass requiring several days for a replacement.
The neutral:
  • I read a lot of posts saying made the car feel new. I disagree. The screen looks a little better. Caraoke is fun. It's not a game changer though. If MCU was working correctly, I would have just kept it.

• Informative
Reactions: Yurand and KalJoMoS