Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions Wanted: Upgrade to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eric, or anybody else with the upgrade, have you tried listening to mp3s on a usb drive?

When I return to the car, I noticed it doesn't resume playing. It always says choose media source.
A tip I found here (from SkyDog) to get your USB back playing after using the USB & leaving the car for a while -
Just push the Voice Command button on the steering wheel & say USB .
So far for me it restarted the USB directly where it left (playing the song I was listening to) when I got out of the car. I had to press the USB button on the screen next (I think) to get the list of tracks of the folder I was playing to show on the screen, but it was just a quick button click after telling it "USB".
Hope it works for you also.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: David29
Does the MCU2 upgrade retain driver profiles, connected BT devices, garage door opener etc? Or does all of this have to be setup again?
Usually profiles and settings are retained, but it depends a bit on your service center and how close they follow the procedures. Some people get their cars back reset to factory defaults (I was one of them).

Bluetooth and homelink pairings are hardware specific and will need to be redone.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
Usually profiles and settings are retained, but it depends a bit on your service center and how close they follow the procedures. Some people get their cars back reset to factory defaults (I was one of them).

Bluetooth and homelink pairings are hardware specific and will need to be redone.
Thanks for the clarification! Mine is getting done right now and I should have the car back today (it was started yesterday). I can't wait!

Reactions: Destiny1701
Does the MCU2 upgrade retain driver profiles, connected BT devices, garage door opener etc? Or does all of this have to be setup again?
For my 2014 Model S, it retained everything (bluetooth, garage door, profile with seat position, ...). The only thing that was cleared was the trips (they still existed but were zeroed). Sad since I had a trip set when I purchased the car second-hand. But no big deal.

Just got car back and the only 1 thing I had to redo - adding back phones.

Trip counters were reset to zero, however I didn't lose any other setting including the garage door opener.

Money well spent - car has suddenly become 3 years newer in terms of the processor.

Even the app has more functionality now - I can set scheduled/departure charge settings from the app now. 😄

How do you use TeslaWaze for navigation? Is that even a thing?

• Love
Reactions: Acps110
Good news is that the browser you now have is a newer version, quicker, and you can clear the cookies and ask to remember that you allow gps location. It loads quite fast too.
Bad news is that TeslaWaze will still crash after a minute or 5 max on my car. Tell us how it works on yours.
I still don't see the "value" of TeslaWaze - is it for traffic and police etc? The Tesla nav is pretty good for traffic and I couldn't care less about police etc

I tried logging into abetterrouteplanner, but the browser just "hung" as in it didn't go there after I typed in my credentials. I will try this again as this is probably more useful than TeslaWaze for navigation (as an alternative to the Tesla Nav, not to replace it.

How can you have the browser take up only half the screen instead of full? I tried pulling it down, but it just goes all the way down or stays all the way at the top. The ideal scenario (for me anyway) is to have the screen split equally (vertically ofcourse) between the Tesla Nav and abetterrouteplanner. Is that possible?

I still don't see the "value" of TeslaWaze - is it for traffic and police etc? The Tesla nav is pretty good for traffic and I couldn't care less about police etc
It’s indeed to see radars and sometimes, when the Tesla nav shows an odd routing, see if there is a good reason like closed roads or roadworks.
How can you have the browser take up only half the screen instead of full? I tried pulling it down, but it just goes all the way down or stays all the way at the top. The ideal scenario (for me anyway) is to have the screen split equally (vertically ofcourse) between the Tesla Nav and abetterrouteplanner. Is that possible?
That’s indeed funny story.
Until a few updates back, the v11 version brought indeed a browser window limited to the bottom half of our screens. People complained and Tesla restored the almost full size browser window.
I must reckon that for TeslaWaze, it was nice to have the bottom of the screen with Waze and the top half with the route large enough to be useful.
Now, the almost full size browser is way better when consulting web sites… but it makes the remaining screen for the nav kinda useless.
If only we could have both 😂

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
There is an SD card in MCU1 that holds the navigation data. Apparently it is rewritten nearly continuously and the flash used by Tesla wasn't designed for that duty cycle. As a result, the card is prone to failure. Unfortunately, it is not easily accessible. At least the right side dash trim needs to be removed and even then it's apparently pretty dicey to access. Also, it's unclear (to me) if a virgin card will work correctly or it needs to be formatted with a certain file system and/or preloaded with data. Tesla will apparently replace that card for about $250 USD which honestly sounds like a bargain. I was tempted to do that because when that card isn't working, the navigation system refuses to navigate. However, I also have other issues that I think MCU2 may help so I'm currently in queue for an MCU upgrade. As far as I'm aware, this SD card problem is limited to MCU1.
Would the upgrade to MCU2 have a new SD card? If so, what size (vs the size the one in the MCU1)?

I just got the upgrade last month, totally in love with the car again.

Whats good:
- use voice command
- look up traffic quickly
- search a song / podcast quickly
- stable connection
- Navigation waypoints
- Ability to use Abetterrouteplanner and Waze
- Netflix/ YouTube while waiting in the car at a supercharger or when wife is shopping
- Car is getting updates now!

• Informative
Reactions: SO16 and David29
Just got car back and the only 1 thing I had to redo - adding back phones.

Trip counters were reset to zero, however I didn't lose any other setting including the garage door opener.

Money well spent - car has suddenly become 3 years newer in terms of the processor.

Even the app has more functionality now - I can set scheduled/departure charge settings from the app now. 😄

How do you use TeslaWaze for navigation? Is that even a thing?
I like many MCU1 owners have been thinking about getting the upgrade to MCU2.
I went to a local Service Center to ask the Advisors about pros/cons and they told me that they had to inform me that:
1) I would lose AM/FM radio stations (analog of course)
2) I may lose my ability to listen to XMRadio (I paid for lifetime subscription and don't want to lose it)
3) I may lose my lifetime premium connectivity (this is in my account as a Free unlimited and active upgrade)

I guess that I don't care about losing AM/FM because if I have XMRadio, I can get most of those stations or could use TuneIn.
But has anyone had any problems with losing XMRadio or do I have to be proactive about retaining it?
Would I need to contact XMRadio to make sure it is still connected? Does getting a new MCU produce a new ID# for the radio?

Has anyone lost their lifetime premium connectivity?
The Service Advisor told me that the solution to get it back was to pay $9.99/month; that is not the response I want to hear for something I paid for. Also, if I lost my premium connectivity, I would not be able to see life traffic on Nav, watch any 'theater' shows, listen to TuneIn, etc...

Lastly, who makes the new chip?