Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions Wanted: Upgrade to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like many MCU1 owners have been thinking about getting the upgrade to MCU2.
I went to a local Service Center to ask the Advisors about pros/cons and they told me that they had to inform me that:
1) I would lose AM/FM radio stations (analog of course)
2) I may lose my ability to listen to XMRadio (I paid for lifetime subscription and don't want to lose it)
3) I may lose my lifetime premium connectivity (this is in my account as a Free unlimited and active upgrade)

I guess that I don't care about losing AM/FM because if I have XMRadio, I can get most of those stations or could use TuneIn.
But has anyone had any problems with losing XMRadio or do I have to be proactive about retaining it?
Would I need to contact XMRadio to make sure it is still connected? Does getting a new MCU produce a new ID# for the radio?

Has anyone lost their lifetime premium connectivity?
The Service Advisor told me that the solution to get it back was to pay $9.99/month; that is not the response I want to hear for something I paid for. Also, if I lost my premium connectivity, I would not be able to see life traffic on Nav, watch any 'theater' shows, listen to TuneIn, etc...

Lastly, who makes the new chip?
You definitely will NOT lose premium connectivity. That has no connection with the MCU upgrade.

New processor is Intel's Atom E8000 Series CPU

I just got 2022.16.1.1

Reactions: SO16
I went to a local Service Center to ask the Advisors about pros/cons and they told me that they had to inform me that:
3) I may lose my lifetime premium connectivity (this is in my account as a Free unlimited and active upgrade)

For #3, I've never heard that before. My car came with premium connectivity. I'm waiting for the MCU2 upgrade parts to arrive and was not told by the SC about losing premium connectivity. They did make sure I understood that I was losing the over-the-air AM/FM radio if I don't spend another $500. That was it.

I like many MCU1 owners have been thinking about getting the upgrade to MCU2.
1) I would lose AM/FM radio stations (analog of course)
2) I may lose my ability to listen to XMRadio (I paid for lifetime subscription and don't want to lose it)

I guess that I don't care about losing AM/FM because if I have XMRadio, I can get most of those stations or could use TuneIn.
But has anyone had any problems with losing XMRadio or do I have to be proactive about retaining it?
Would I need to contact XMRadio to make sure it is still connected? Does getting a new MCU produce a new ID# for the radio?

Has anyone lost their lifetime premium connectivity?
The Service Advisor told me that the solution to get it back was to pay $9.99/month; that is not the response I want to hear for something I paid for. Also, if I lost my premium connectivity, I would not be able to see life traffic on Nav, watch any 'theater' shows, listen to TuneIn, etc...

Lastly, who makes the new chip?
You can also read what Tesla is explaining on their website. Much more reliable than the SeC.

You can also read what Tesla is explaining on their website. Much more reliable than the SeC.

Thanks for that response. I checked the Support website and it would appear that if I have Lifetime Premium Connectivity, I should retain it (though it does not explicitly state that fact).
I do wonder if I will lose XMRadio without the purchase of the Radio Upgrade?

Thanks for that response. I checked the Support website and it would appear that if I have Lifetime Premium Connectivity, I should retain it (though it does not explicitly state that fact).
I do wonder if I will lose XMRadio without the purchase of the Radio Upgrade?
Like I said before, I got this upgrade last week and you definitely will NOT lose premium connectivity.

Yes, you will lose XM radio

Yes you will have waypoints after the upgrade.

Here is a summary again of the pros

Pros
- use voice command
- look up traffic quickly
- search a song / podcast quickly
- stable connection
- Navigation waypoints
- Ability to use Abetterrouteplanner and Waze
- Netflix/ YouTube while waiting in the car at a supercharger or when wife is shopping
- Car is getting updates now!

Like I said before, I got this upgrade last week and you definitely will NOT lose premium connectivity.

Yes, you will lose XM radio

Yes you will have waypoints after the upgrade.

Here is a summary again of the pros

Pros
- use voice command
- look up traffic quickly
- search a song / podcast quickly
- stable connection
- Navigation waypoints
- Ability to use Abetterrouteplanner and Waze
- Netflix/ YouTube while waiting in the car at a supercharger or when wife is shopping
- Car is getting updates now!

How are you using waze? Through the browser?

Attachments

• FD53F0D6-0024-4C3A-B8E9-D8BFB782AB7F.jpeg
    FD53F0D6-0024-4C3A-B8E9-D8BFB782AB7F.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Informative
Reactions: Droschke
What is the cost? I thought it was $1,500.00. Got "update" estimate for $1,750.00.
Heads up, now's the time to do this. It appears there is a price increase underway. I requested the upgrade via the app, and the automated estimate came back as USD $1750. I then looked at www.tesla.com/support/infotainment and it still shows the $1,500 price. I chatted back to service and they lowered the estimate back to $1,500 because that's what's on the website.

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-FOR
TEGRAAP3.0 -NORTH AMERICA(9874563-00-A)

Note that the price is higher for vehicles with autopilot 2.0 or 2.5.
Also I chose to pay an additional $500 for the FM radio.

• Helpful
Reactions: geordi and Droschke
Heads up, now's the time to do this. It appears there is a price increase underway. I requested the upgrade via the app, and the automated estimate came back as USD $1750. I then looked at www.tesla.com/support/infotainment and it still shows the $1,500 price. I chatted back to service and they lowered the estimate back to $1,500 because that's what's on the website.

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-FOR
TEGRAAP3.0 -NORTH AMERICA(9874563-00-A)

Note that the price is higher for vehicles with autopilot 2.0 or 2.5.
Also I chose to pay an additional $500 for the FM radio.
I forgot to mention, there is no additional labor fee.

Reactions: geordi