TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Opportunity Console - New Photos, Poll

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by mpt, Jun 19, 2012.

?

This is how I'd like my Model S configured

1. No console, keep it open

84 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Somewhere for bits and bobs

343 vote(s)
    58.2%
  3. My phone needs a home

303 vote(s)
    51.4%
  4. Give me somewhere for the 'big-gulp'

158 vote(s)
    26.8%
  5. Forget seat 5, give me more in the back

110 vote(s)
    18.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

#1 mpt, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
    This weekend Tesla will be displaying the first prototypes of the "Opportunity Console" elements for us to see. These are not yet finalized, so they're looking for our feedback and suggestions.

Update: Here are the photos:

Console 1: Shelf
    Console1_Shelf.jpg
    Console1_Top-down.jpg

Console 2: Phone slot
    Console2_Phone_Slot_Closed.jpg
    Console2_Phone_Slot_Open.jpg
    Console2_Shelf.jpg

Console 3: Cupholders
    Console3_Top-down.jpg
    Console3_Shelf-cupholders.jpg

Rear console:
    Rear Seat Console.jpg

(Please accept our apologies if we remove one of your posts asking for the photos)

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

#2 AnOutsider, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2012
    Inside Tesla - 06.19.12 | Blog | Tesla Motors
    Anyone who goes this weekend, please add pictures!

3. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

#3 mcornwell, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  4. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Here is another shot...

P1060177.jpeg

5. Lyon

Lyon 2012 S P85, 2016 X P90D

Anyone else notice what's under the screen!!!! It's a cubby for stuff!!!

6. onlinespending

Yeah. Did that make it into the first batch of production vehicles? The perfect place for your sunglasses. I still think they could do much more, but it's a start. Happy that they listened to the complaints and created a quick fix.

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Yes. That looks new!

8. ddruz

ddruz Member

That cubbie under the display is there in the Gigaom video too. Do you think it is going to be a standard feature? Wow, how great if it is! Also the Gigaom video showed rear seat cup holders for an instant. Fantastic! But where? How?

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Cubby and cup holders yay... I also really liked the obeche wood!

10. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Perfect! There's a place for the phones and keys now. And, is that cover for the center console area the same wood trim (Obeche here) as chosen for the dash?! Neat idea although it can get scuffed up easily.

11. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Member

Looks like this is for me! Thank you so much.

It even tracks changes I make in the database, so there is a chance the German authorities will accept it as proof. Looks really good.

12. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Hmm, you could be right, but to me, it looked like a ridged rubber at first glance.

13. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

The problem is the space, not the lack of console...

Hey I am impressed by the contour of your computer-graphed console in this thread. Good shape and profile. I have spent quite a bit of time in the Model S, behind the wheel and in the passenger seat - a few hours total. As much as I loved it at first, there is a weird awkwardness about the open space between the driver and passenger. Initially, I admired the space, immediately appreciating the electric drive train and battery placement changes that have followed the Roadster to make the a flat, uninterrupted chassis from dash to tail possible. But my admiration gave way to a feeling that I wanted that space filled, to form a traditional "cockpit". Yet I do not miss a console per say. I don't want all that crap shoved there as in my...Volvo! After some thought I'd propose: Build a low-profile console. Not too obstructive, not too high. Let the driver feel the space you have created - unique to the Model S. Leave a place to put: a cell phone with charger (horizontal opening angled toward the dash to allow the phone to "sit" well, loose change (must be a close-able container), a fitness club/parking garage card, retractable cup holders, chargers for the passenger's iPad/phone/laptop/Kindle (9V and USB). And one more small 5 by 5 inch compartment for...dunno (my son's CD Rom, my daughter's clay cup, my wife's whatever, my baseball hat... And that's it. Leave room for the purse/bag? Maybe have the console stop at the average seat edge as it leaves the dash (leaving room for a bag between the seats). In short, guide the space but do not fully fill it. Computer graphics members, please dig in...

14. onlinespending

If you look at the high res pic it's clear they're using the same wood trim. It's certainly an improvement over carpet, but GG makes a good point that this could get scratch up pretty well.

And what's up with this thread? It's as if it got merged with some other discussion completely off topic, and no one has commented on the newer, refined center console and cubby. Even Bonnie is mentioning 6 pages of off topic conversation when her post was on page 11. Something seems amiss!

15. gg_got_a_tesla

Tesla Model S drive - Engadget Galleries

See the interior of the white car. That's CF covering the center console area matching the dash!!

16. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

You're both right. Looks like they're using matching dash material with rubber ridges on top for some level of protection.

17. gg_got_a_tesla

Very slick! Can't see myself covering that up with any console now :)

18. onlinespending

It is slick looking, but still lacks function as far as I'm concerned. It's great for a laptop bag, backpack, or gym bag, but those could just as easily be thrown in the frunk or trunk, and you won't always be traveling with a bag. So then it becomes this open void of unconcealed storage where it likely becomes a receptacle for crap. Loose papers, receipts, coins (rattling around), chargers, makeup, kid's toys, etc. Not exactly the look I'm going for with a car of this price. Still needs CONCEALED storage IMHO. But I'll be the first to say that I'm at least impressed by Tesla's quick reaction time to get that cubby in place, refine the look of the 'negative space', and add rear seat cup holders. Bravo Tesla!

19. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I'd love to see that in the CF if anyone has found a pic?