Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opportunity Console - New Photos, Poll

This is how I'd like my Model S configured

• No console, keep it open

Votes: 84 14.3%
  • Somewhere for bits and bobs

Votes: 343 58.2%
  • My phone needs a home

Votes: 303 51.4%
  • Give me somewhere for the 'big-gulp'

Votes: 158 26.8%
  • Forget seat 5, give me more in the back

Votes: 110 18.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's pic # 16/69 in the gallery that gg linked to: Tesla Model S drive - Engadget Galleries

Thanks. Nice look, but the pattern seems to be running the opposite way to the dash and the armrest:

Untitled.jpg

So looking at the first few pictures of the prototypes being shown can't say I'm excited about the level of creativity and thought that went into these.

1) Rear seat drop in that features a storage areas and cup holders; at least it is functional and more or less fits style wise. Not sure why the rear seat could not just offer this as a fold out, lots of manufacurers do this and quickly provides the option to use of not it. Anyway it looks like it would be an expensive option to get 2 cup holders in the back seat which really should just be standard (in door, center set foldout, center console fold out... Sorry but someone wasn't thinking when they designed the rear seating area, ex no backseat pockets for storage)

2) insert sitting on the floow under the 17 inch screen that looks to have 2 cup holders; ugh, really?

I'll wait for more feedback and some official photos/explanations on functionality but so far I am not thrilled with the prototypes presented. My current feedback for Tesla.

1) Take your time and rework the back seating area to provide intelligent, integrate storage options for the things people in a back seat are likely to be doing.
2)Come up with a more compelling center console please, not all of us have a bag that needs a large area to throw it on the floor. Again it appears it is something that needs some additional iterations and thought, take the time and get it right, as an option it can come out at some later date after, once you have been able to put the right people on the task flow analysis and design.

That said even without any of the above I still expect to move forward with my model s purchase, just want this product to be best in the world in all aspects so that you'll need to run shifts day and night. :)

Any significant storage options/changes will likely have to wait until the interior gets revised down the road. The rear insert with cup holders should hopefully be easy to remove if you go somewhere and need seating for five.

The rear-seat unit looks very useful. While I agree that it merely provides functionality that ought to have been built in, it is a substantial improvement over the Spartan storage-free basic design.

I'm not clear what elements of the front are part of the "Opportunity Console" and what are now standard equipment. The shelf beneath the 17" screen is great. The inset-matched liner and cupholder doesn't do much for me. The cupholders appear to have no way to adapt to various size cups -- how will things stay put? Despite the plastic ridges on the liner, this insert looks very prone to scuffing; the carpet of the original seems wiser.

Last edited:
Lining the open space with the dash material and ridges looks very sharp. I am unsure of its functionality for the wood and carbon fiber finishes but it will certainly wear poorly for the shiny piano finish after just a short while. I am planning on the piano finish and I'd be reluctant to put anything in that center space for fear of marring it. The scuffing and wearing problem needs to be solved. Carpet solves the problem but aesthetically is not up to snuff with the rest of the much improved interior fit and finish. A matte black material in the open space for those getting the piano finish would be better.

I like that one quite a bit. Not as fond of the front console redesign as of yet, but for me that back insert is perfect.

That's kind of cool looking but it's going to be very annoying to remove every time you want to put the back seat down--and then what do you do with it?

I'd give it a D for practicality, a B for looks, and an F for charging for things that should be included (assuming they are charging extra--if not then my apologies).

I sat in one with the wood finish, plopped my backpack into it. Then handed backpack into back seat. Looked like same thing one of the review items. (The same look as the motor trend one with pictures on page 1 of this thread.)

The interior of the cubby is rubbery and a little bumpy.

I talked briefly with George B and he said there would be pictures of all the different options before too long. We'll see what we get then.

That's kind of cool looking but it's going to be very annoying to remove every time you want to put the back seat down--and then what do you do with it?
It's well designed to allow the "40" of the 40/60 split to fold down. If you want to drop the entire back row, it looks like the unit could easily fit on the floor between the rear and front seats, which isn't part of the primary storage area.

Is this tack-on as good as an integrated solution? No.
Is it worthwhile? Yep, I'd pay a reasonable amount for it (although it really should be included in the base price).

How easy is it to remove/install? I was hoping it would just be something that just flipped down from inside the seatback (or maybe flipped up from the middle seat?). That kind of storage isn't so important for the back seat.

It appears as if it's hooked into the centre Latch system. It seems like it will be annoying every time you want to fold the seat down.