Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opportunity Console - New Photos, Poll

This is how I'd like my Model S configured

• No console, keep it open

Votes: 84 14.3%
  • Somewhere for bits and bobs

Votes: 343 58.2%
  • My phone needs a home

Votes: 303 51.4%
  • Give me somewhere for the 'big-gulp'

Votes: 158 26.8%
  • Forget seat 5, give me more in the back

Votes: 110 18.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to see more options. Not sure how that phone slot is supposed to function. But bottom line, there needs to be more concealable storage. Every luxury car I've been in has some sort of concealable storage, often done to match the trim and with nice elegant damped door hinges. Concealable is key not only as a theft deterrent, but also to keep the car clean looking.

Without concealable storage that opportunity console will become an opportunity receptacle of crap, collecting loose papers, makeup, coins, cell phone charges, toys...all out in the open. Not a good look.

What's underneath the top of the front opportunity console? Is that now inaccessible space?

I'd suggest looking at what Honda did with the Ridgeline. It's got a console that only goes 1/2 towards the dash. There's still floor space in front of it for backpacks, purses, etc., but the console itself has a top shelf that slides back to reveal hidden storage, and for larger items, the bottom of the console itself slides forward for better access. Having both hidden storage and an open floor gives most of the best of both worlds.

Here's the Ridgeline console in its normal position:
P1.jpg

And in the bottom slide forward position:
P2.jpg

The remainder of the shelf slides as well for access to the back of the hidden storage. There are also movable dividers in the hidden storage area. Oh, and the top cushion lifts up for more storage - great place for coins, a wallet a flashlight, and a cell phone (use bluetooth to access).

Obviously, we'd want something less plastic-y, but the general concept is what I'm promoting.

I'd suggest looking at what Honda did with the Ridgeline.

+1. If done to match the interior, this would be an elegant solution that would make both camps happy. Those that want the dead space for bags can still use it as such, and those that want more storage and cup holders get that. I've always said it didn't have to be one or the other. Tesla had a big opportunity to innovate with the console given the lack of a center hump, but sort of put a couple low-profile dividers down the middle and called it a day.

would think the rear console would be nice as replacement for the front console!
more storage, and cupholders more forward!
but concealed cupholders looks more classy in my mind
replace the cupholders with a lockable little storage for glasses, phone & coins (concealed under a lid)
leave the floor console as it is, or remove it

Ok, now that these are the photos, I need a concealed space for sunglasses, coins (preferably segregated from each other via slots) place for nic-naks and a remote. The operative word is concealed. Not sure making the floor of the console out of the same decor finish is wise; very confusing on the eye with the grained wood, to shiny and easily scratched on the black piano finish. Probably best to use a material that is easy to clean, hides dirt and does not show scratches that is consistent with all decor trims.

Regarding the rear seat add on console, anything other than a integrated solution (2008 350 RX as an example) is going to be seen as an afterthought, a compromise. That's a nice way to say the add on console looks "Micky Mouse" and is a "Rube Goldberg" solution. How to Mickey Mouse Something I raise and lower the back seat enough to know I am not going to be happy stowing and retrieving any add-on rear console. Bite the bullet Tesla and offer an integrated solution for the rear passengers. Also, I would also like to see netting on the back of the front seats to store water bottles for the rear passengers.

Thanks for listening and taking my comments into consideration.

PS: I do like the open space for man and women purses and such, so please keep a good portion of it. The 2008 Lexus 350 RX has this as well and is very handy.

Last edited:
If TM wants constructive feedback on the opportunity console, it might be a good idea to provide an annotated set of design sketches. The sketches would provide simple dimensions and a description of what we're seeing in the informal photos now posted on the first page of this thread. The current photos make the opportunity console difficult to assess. Having said that ...

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the rear seat cupholder/storage add-on is a good design afterthought. It works and should be offered as an option. I'll likely order one, assuming pricing is fair (free for sigs? :)

After studying the photos of the front 'console' (and making necessary assumptions about the design), I'm encouraged, but not impressed.

I suspect that for those purchasers who want a minimalist implementation, the current cubbie, along with the 'holder' on the bottom of the front wall (under the display on the floor) will be sufficient. The addition of a phone holder, 12V plug, and (if I'm interpreting the photo correctly) flip-up storage space under the existing cupholder tower is an improvement, but still fails to meet the needs of the many buyers who would like a more substantial front console.

Recommendations:

In the first photo on page 1 of this thread, we see the open console area with under dash cubbie, non-skid tracks, and a small area toward the rear for 12V plug and other undefined entities. This can be a starting point for a more substantial "center console insert" (CCI) that fits into the full length of the area that has non-skid tracks and accessory finish (in the photo it looks like piano black).

The bottom of the CCI would be molded to fit securely inside the existing plastic side rails, but would be stepped outward to overlap the top of the the existing rails and rise to a height that is just below the driver/passenger seat surface. This would give it some depth but still provide an open feel, allowing the creation of two simple covered storage boxes and a phone attachment. The storage boxes would have push up covers (found in many luxury cars) in the accessory finish that was ordered with the car. The CCI would fit under the cubbie shown (the cubbie could remain or not) and should be relatively easy to install.

I've done a very rudimentary line drawing (no time today for anything more) to give you an idea. The CCI would contain:

- a storage box for sunglasses (under the cubbie up front) with a flip up cover
- a central larger storage box (about 10 x 8 x 5 inches) with duel flip up cover.
- a rear phone charging/connection station with a flip-up cover

Again, I want to emphasize that this modular insert would be only for those of us who want a real center console.

After the first wave of buyers, the Model S will live or die based on head to head comparisons with BMW, Merc, Audi and possibly Lexus, when non-EV enthusiasts take a look and seriously consider a purchase. I have to believe the number of those people choosing the CCI option would be non-trivial and might, in fact, be the majority of all purchasers of the car.

CCI.jpg

Last edited:
The last few cars I've owned have had such large user manuals and small "glove" boxes that you would be pressed to actually get a pair of gloves in there. They were effectively manual boxes. Since the Model S will have the manual in digital form, whatever space there is in the glove box will actually be available for gloves, and that bottle of ibuprophen, and the keys to my mom's house, and the handi-wipes, and, well, some reasonable portion of the crap in my current center console.

Given that extra space, I think the space available in the various opportunity console options will be sufficient for my purposes. For stuff I don't need to be able to access frequently or while I'm driving (the bound version of the manual), the frunk should work well. I'd still like a spot that can be reached from the driver's seat to stash an umbrella though.

Is this one of the prototypes for the console? (From Motor Trend's review)

View attachment 6947

Assuming this is one of the options, I really like this version which includes an open cubby under the touch-screen as well as an armrest with concealed storage along with cupholders. It would be nice if a USB outlet was included in the covered armrest to store and charge a cell phone.

I absolutely agree that it need concealable storage. Even in the picture from the even (where they're wiping the car down every 5 minutes) it already looks like it's getting dirty. My vote is that it's an improvement over nothing but barely. I love the idea of CLS550 (pic hopefully below) where there are leather covered doors that run most of the length and flip up either direction to uncover different storage compartments. Beyond that, absolutely needs to be a place to dock smartphones. Let's be realistic, I think 95% of all Tesla drivers not only have a smartphone but have much of their life (contact to family, friends, business as well as music, entertainment and more to come...) going through the phone. It's an integral part of our lives and it should occupy an important space in the car. I know how some feel about phones and I know the laws on safety. But it's simply reality that these things are important to us and that most of us use them in some capacity in the car. I realize the 17" screen is like a smartphone on steroids but either that screen will connect to the phone for the feature you want or it won't. Either way I think the phone should be docked and displayed in a key spot.
Screen Shot 2012-06-25 at 9.43.28 AM.jpg

Wow, we're getting some really good feedback going on here! This is EXACTLY the kind of thing they were hoping they would get from us (I'm speculating here).

Frankly, from the pictures, and after having seen it in person, I have serious doubts about the usefulness of the cup holder model. The spots for the cups are just too shallow and this car can accelerate, corner and brake so well that anything one puts in there is going to dump out.

I really like Soflauthor's basic drawing. I think that it would provide the functionality that many people are requesting/expecting. I'm not sure if I would want or need that much personally but I agree that the option needs to be available. Basically they need to take what they created for the rear of the car and make one for the front!

If I were picking from the options available today I'd get the front console with the phone compartment and the rear console.

I agree with those asking that the flip up armrest design on the rear piece instead be used for the front seats. Going further, I'd combine the two slightly: give them side hinges that allow the forward/back movement already there along with integration with the cupholders: moving forward exposes back cupholders, moving back exposes front cupholders. Yes, you only get 2 cupholders at a time UNLESS you flip the armrest to the open position which exposes a covered area underneath. Pretty complicated with the hinges/slides and little pockets for cupholders (those don't move, they are just openings) but I think Tesla can manage the design. Maybe too complicated for right now, wouldn't mind that in the future.

The flip up thing on the carbon fiber example is intriguing. It almost looks like a phone docking station, so take that to the logical finish -- integrate with the interior rubberized lining (carbon fiber in this case) and have options for different kinds of phone docking. This would end up using one or two of the USB ports for the rear, but small price to pay for having a custom spot to just dock your phone. If can't have customized for most phones then I'm not sure it is worth the effort to implement a halfway solution. Although an acceptable generic solution would be providing USB ports at those levels and enough space to coil a typical 3ft / 1m docking cable. Somebody could make a rubber insert for the completely customized solution.

I don't like the under console cupholder thing, but an under console storage bin could work. The cubby looks fine as is.

Leaving open space in the middle works for my use case, but Softauthor's solution is great for those that want more covered storage. I encourage offering solutions for both types of users.

OH! And don't forget that, at least for the performance version of interior, the seats have a pocket in front. That'll work for tissues, etc.

Cubby and phone slot fine. Now deepen the whole unit, create an opening door to the space under, leave the ribbed rubber lined surface as is, subdivide the new large concealed space to take sunglasses, and you have a winner, since the surface will look much the same as you have now. Even keep the new cup holders, but delete the existing ones and use the openings for something else such as ticket or change holders.

The cubby under the screen is a must and, as mentioned above, should have a non-skid bottom (which it looks like it has).

I don't like or understand the point of the grooved plastic insert, which looks cheap anyway. I prefer the carpet if that's all there is. But I'd rather have a low, covered, lockable storage area. Nothing huge or tall. Something that they could integrate better cupholders into....

I don't understand the so-called phone-slot; what's under there, or is the point that I just stick my phone on top and it kinda sticks up? It seems pointless; why not just stick it in the cupholder, or in the big empty space, or (what I'll do) on the cubby under the screen. Heck, many states don't allow hands-on phone use anyway, right?

The so-called cupholders in front look like a place for shades (even zooming in on the pic!). It's horribly sized and especially positioned, in every way IMHO, for actual cups. Maybe it can hold a 12-ouce soda can (or two? not even sure; it looks that cramped!), but it'd be useless to me. Real cupholders, conveniently located, are needed if they do something like this.

Side Note: I dislike stuff built for one precise purpose/shape that presumes my X is shaped like Y and will fit into slot Z exactly. Sunglasses, phones, cuts...they're not all identical.

The back seat thing is intriguing; I'm torn between wanting it, wanting something that folds down, and not caring. I have a two-seater right now, so the idea of 2+ passengers is novel to me! ;-) But if fold-down isn't doable, I might get this add-on; it's well-designed (though the cupholders look a bit small).

All that said, my Miata is the posterchild for near-usless storage and cupholding, so I'm okay with almost anything. But I DO want/need that cubby and I hope these fledgling ideas are fleshed out and improved, quickly, based on feedback, usability testing, etc.

Anyway, keep in mind, these are initial concepts, very preliminary methinks. It'll change.

Also an aftermarket will grow around this, over time anyway. I have a 2000 Miata with the most uselessly positioned/designed "cupholder"; soon after I got the car, I bought a third-party thing that attaches to a screw on the right side of the console, by the passenger's leg (oh and my passenger loves that...not). The third-party thing mostly works great. Later Miatas, I believe, were revamped to have a less-useless cupholder. My point being: Third-party stuff filled in the gap (yes, yes, I'd prefer it were built right from the start). ;-)

Feels weird to say this in a public forum but here is what I want:

1. Holder for iPhone when plugged in. No cover needed. No line of sight needed assuming that I can control music from iPhone from steering wheel or 17-inch

2. Cup holder with easy access for my white Tesla mug that we all have. No reaching desired.

3. Prefer not to use cup holder in arm rest as I want to use arm rest

3. Coin or sunglasses holder not important for me.

4. No carpet base for console, I think it does not look nice and will get dirty.

5. Try to keep console space open for the unique airy look

6. For the back, strongly prefer fold down from seat back. Should have arm rests and cup holders. Storage not important. I assume that with fold down, middle seat back is still comfortable.

After seeing everyone's differing needs and considering my own, I think a modular approach works best. The pieces should not cost extra but if there is a charge, hopefully, it is reasonable and not make us feel scalped.