Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opportunity Console - New Photos, Poll

This is how I'd like my Model S configured

• No console, keep it open

Votes: 84 14.3%
  • Somewhere for bits and bobs

Votes: 343 58.2%
  • My phone needs a home

Votes: 303 51.4%
  • Give me somewhere for the 'big-gulp'

Votes: 158 26.8%
  • Forget seat 5, give me more in the back

Votes: 110 18.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glovebox -- zero perspective on these pictures though. Suffice to say it is long but shallow. Not 'bigger than a breadbox'.
Tesla Model S Test Drive 6-23-12 106.jpg

y uno mas
Tesla Model S Test Drive 6-23-12 105.jpg

Last edited:
It is a pleasure to read everyone's constructive feedback to Tesla's options to address various requests for the console arrangement. Though we may differ in preferences for end results we may be able to agree in consensus on the basic requests/problems we hope Tesla addresses which so far have been implied but not specifically stated. If so perhaps that would prove quite helpful to Tesla. Do others concur that these seem to be the basic requests? Perhaps someone familiar with setting up polls would be able to confirm a consensus.

1. Concealed storage for sunglasses and odds and ends in reach of the driver.

2. Functional cup holders that can be used concurrently with the arm rests.

3. A place to store and attach a smartphone.

4. An option to trade off open space for more concealed storage.

5. Rear seat cup holders and storage.

6. Integration of solutions competitive with premium car consoles that offer these as standard features.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the center console of a 2005 3-series coupe similar to my own (mine doesn't have the - aftermarket - cupholders shown in the picture):

mittlekonsole.jpg

I take this as the basis for describing what would be my ideal center console in the Model S:

1) The two concealed fold-out storage bins under the climate control (partly concealed behind the steering wheel in this picture) are the same as in my car. The upper one is large enough for sunglasses, the lower one contains the 12V outlet as well as room for loose change and other small stuff of similar size.
Basically one or two of these fold-out (therefore concealed and safe from dust/dirt) storage bins should fit easily under the 17-inch screen in the Model S.

2) The above picture shows the armrest in the "up" position. It too contains a storage bin that when opened holds a smartphone or similar gadgets. Such a flip-open armrest should be in the S as well. An alternative solution is described in the following paragraph.

3) The cupholders in the picture are size-adjustable and would be covered when the armrest is folded down. Yet that placement is only necessitated by the stick-shift in the BMW, which means that in the S, these two cupholders could be further forward thus making it possible to use the armrest AND the cupholders at the same time. As the S also doesn't need a handle for the parking brake, this space could be used for another small flip-open cubby, possibly eliminating the need for a flip-open feature in the armrest.

4) As all the above features in the proposed center console wouldn't have to be very deep, this would leave enough room below for a large concealed storage space that could hold an iPad or other similarly sized "cargo"/stuff.

Voila, just my two cents...

Suggestions?

P.S.: The picture also shows the storage space in the doors of which I still don't understand why Tesla didn't incorporate those in the S. After all it's a standard feature in almost every car on the market.

Last edited:
Tesla should be pleased with all the feedback everyone is providing.
The consensus summary by ddruz is great.

Except for the front cubby which I like, I didn't like the three consoles presented. They were minimalist, which I like, but not needed. Same feeling about the back armrest. It's not needed and causes seat folding problems.

Here is my input:

For the front
1) Keep the minimalist open space as the default. Allow optional elaborate consoles to drop in (none for me)
2) Convert the current cupholder location to storage space.
3) Integrate a pop-up cupholder to the front of the armrest. Keep it out of sight. Seen only when flipped up for use.
4) Keep the new cubby for the phone and immediate access items.

For the back
1) Integrate a pop-up cup holder to the back of the armrest. The air vent will keep the hot drinks hot, and the cold ones cold.
2) Attach a net or storage pocket to the back of the front seats

I like a minimalist look. Just want someplace to put things.

I own a twenty year old Lexus with flip-out size-adjustable cup rings that I never see or use except when visiting McDonalds. Cupholders don't need to be elaborate space wasters.

Last edited:
I am looking for a convenient place to hold and charge my iPhone, hopefully without the need for a long USB charging cable. A built in dock ala what BMW does would be great. I would also use storage for eyeglasses, toll tickets, change all up front. Finally cup holders and storage front and rear. I like the current rear design console as a good compromise to get something done without redesigning the seat; it needs to be very stable though and quick disconnect.

+1 one entire list.
It is a pleasure to read everyone's constructive feedback to Tesla's options to address various requests for the console arrangement. Though we may differ in preferences for end results we may be able to agree in consensus on the basic requests/problems we hope Tesla addresses which so far have been implied but not specifically stated. If so perhaps that would prove quite helpful to Tesla. Do others concur that these seem to be the basic requests? Perhaps someone familiar with setting up polls would be able to confirm a consensus.

1. Concealed storage for sunglasses and odds and ends in reach of the driver.

2. Functional cup holders that can be used concurrently with the arm rests.

3. A place to store and attach a smartphone.

4. An option to trade off open space for more concealed storage.

5. Rear seat cup holders and storage.

6. Integration of solutions competitive with premium car consoles that offer these as standard features.

I am looking for a convenient place to hold and charge my iPhone, hopefully without the need for a long USB charging cable. A built in dock ala what BMW does would be great. I would also use storage for eyeglasses, toll tickets, change all up front. Finally cup holders and storage front and rear. I like the current rear design console as a good compromise to get something done without redesigning the seat; it needs to be very stable though and quick disconnect.

This is exactly what I want. I managed to do this with a proclip mount in my Roadstsr but a factory solution would be great.

The problem with such built-in docks is that these things change over time and with various devices. The iPhone itself is rumored to switch to a smaller dock connector when the 5 comes out this fall.

I agree. Tesla could get around this by designing a very wide area where a Tesla custom molded dock would clip in. The bottom of the bracket would have whatever connection Tesla needed. The top could be molded to fit the popular phones out there or be opened up to third parties. This way if Apple released the iPhone 5 with a different connector, you'd pop out your Tesla iPhone 4 dock insert and buy the new one. Not ideal but it'd work.

Is a dock really necessary when you have a 17" touchscreen in the car that connects with your phone? A place to stash it...definitely! But a dock seems pointless.

Not necessary but nice. You can get into your Model S and can drop phone on dock to charge. Don't need cable laying around. Also, haven't found audio over Bluetooth to be great but maybe it has improved.

The problem with such built-in docks is that these things change over time and with various devices. The iPhone itself is rumored to switch to a smaller dock connector when the 5 comes out this fall.

I'm with you on this one... I like just having a USB port. Besides, with the 17" screen I won't need to use my phone to browse the web while I drive so it can stay in the cubby under the dash. ;-)