Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opportunity Console - New Photos, Poll

This is how I'd like my Model S configured

• No console, keep it open

Votes: 84 14.3%
  • Somewhere for bits and bobs

Votes: 343 58.2%
  • My phone needs a home

Votes: 303 51.4%
  • Give me somewhere for the 'big-gulp'

Votes: 158 26.8%
  • Forget seat 5, give me more in the back

Votes: 110 18.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think a dock would be an outstanding feature no matter what. Even if everything is synced to the big screen, your phone is gonna be near you at all times. Why not have a nice place for it? And as much as some may want to chide those who text and drive, the reality is that most will probably want to at least read an incoming text while sitting in the car. Our phones are important to most of us and they will be with us as we get in, drive and exit the car. Like it or not, they have a big place in most of our lives, they should have a nice place in this high tech car too.

I think a dock would be an outstanding feature no matter what. Even if everything is synced to the big screen, your phone is gonna be near you at all times. Why not have a nice place for it? And as much as some may want to chide those who text and drive, the reality is that most will probably want to at least read an incoming text while sitting in the car. Our phones are important to most of us and they will be with us as we get in, drive and exit the car. Like it or not, they have a big place in most of our lives, they should have a nice place in this high tech car too.

The model S is supposed to read incoming messages to you, so that should be one item scratched off the list. Not sure if it can compose though.

Really? I hadn't seen that mentioned and don't see how it could without iOS integration (which I know is hoped for but hadn't heard there was any word of it).

Like voice control, it hasn't been discussed in a while, so it's possible it's been nixed or won't make the first round of software. As for "how", I'm guessing tied into their mobile apps.

My windows phone reads and let's me compose my simulating a call to my car when a message comes in, so there's definitely tricks that can be employed on both ends.

I just need space for my Galaxy Note. USB plugs are great, and they should provide enough power to actually charge (in my Ford it seems to charge EXTREMELY slowly, and it's annoying).

On a separate note, in a moment of weakness we let our kids eat freezies in the car on the way home from their last soccer day, and even after warning them to hold them upright and be careful, there was a sticky mess all over. NEVER AGAIN. Water bottles only in the car, on road trips we will stop every few hours to charge up anyway. If one has places to stick junk in, the junk will collect and I hate that, so I'll be sticking with minimal storage. The frunk and trunk are good enough. Although a cooler/fridge would be pretty awesome (for picnics only: no food in my car!!) :)

The key point for me is that a car that can drive for 5 hours using Bluetooth will drain your battery. I always want my phone charging in the car and do not want an unsightly cable going from the USB across the console to the phone. Sound quality is much better over a wired connection than over Bluetooth as well.

why the hell do they dock anyway why not just be inductive??? (apple stuff)

disc: I have no apple products (wife got an Ipod 4 Xmas though/ I like android based better)

My Google-Fu sucks, but based on what I just found, it sounds like many? most? phones have to buy something extra like a replacement back or sleeve to charge inductively. "apple stuff" can do the same, FYI. ;-) Heck, the Qi standard sounds like it just came out within the past year (a 1-year-old article talked about how it was coming out? about to come out? it was unclear), though I'm unclear what the Qi standard does.

Anyway, inductive charging is cool and I loved my old electric shaver that did this. But unless it's supported out of the box by most phones, which it doesn't sound like it is (correct me if I'm wrong; I did a shallow Google, I admit!), IMHO it's more sensible for Tesla to support USB now, which seems like the most common charge method for phones (and other devices!), including low-end to high.

I wonder if one could hook up a charging mat via USB and put that in the empty space, in place of the "opportunity console"...? ;-)

+1 Soflauthor. TM, please take into account these thoughtful suggestions. I include myself in those wanting a more "traditional" multifunctional CC. Making it a modular insert into the "negative space" would be a huge win for those of us wanting to conceal and compartmentalize our things.
As many have pointed out, after the initial round of early adopters are all driving around their Model Ses, the challenge will be luring in those currently buying/driving MB, BMW, Audi, etc. and a multifunctional front center console is standard.

Also, +1 on the idea that these front and back consoles should be no-cost options for Sigs. Show us a little more love TM.

If TM wants constructive feedback on the opportunity console, it might be a good idea to provide an annotated set of design sketches. The sketches would provide simple dimensions and a description of what we're seeing in the informal photos now posted on the first page of this thread. The current photos make the opportunity console difficult to assess. Having said that ...

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the rear seat cupholder/storage add-on is a good design afterthought. It works and should be offered as an option. I'll likely order one, assuming pricing is fair (free for sigs? :)

After studying the photos of the front 'console' (and making necessary assumptions about the design), I'm encouraged, but not impressed.

I suspect that for those purchasers who want a minimalist implementation, the current cubbie, along with the 'holder' on the bottom of the front wall (under the display on the floor) will be sufficient. The addition of a phone holder, 12V plug, and (if I'm interpreting the photo correctly) flip-up storage space under the existing cupholder tower is an improvement, but still fails to meet the needs of the many buyers who would like a more substantial front console.

Recommendations:

In the first photo on page 1 of this thread, we see the open console area with under dash cubbie, non-skid tracks, and a small area toward the rear for 12V plug and other undefined entities. This can be a starting point for a more substantial "center console insert" (CCI) that fits into the full length of the area that has non-skid tracks and accessory finish (in the photo it looks like piano black).

The bottom of the CCI would be molded to fit securely inside the existing plastic side rails, but would be stepped outward to overlap the top of the the existing rails and rise to a height that is just below the driver/passenger seat surface. This would give it some depth but still provide an open feel, allowing the creation of two simple covered storage boxes and a phone attachment. The storage boxes would have push up covers (found in many luxury cars) in the accessory finish that was ordered with the car. The CCI would fit under the cubbie shown (the cubbie could remain or not) and should be relatively easy to install.

I've done a very rudimentary line drawing (no time today for anything more) to give you an idea. The CCI would contain:

- a storage box for sunglasses (under the cubbie up front) with a flip up cover
- a central larger storage box (about 10 x 8 x 5 inches) with duel flip up cover.
- a rear phone charging/connection station with a flip-up cover

Again, I want to emphasize that this modular insert would be only for those of us who want a real center console.

After the first wave of buyers, the Model S will live or die based on head to head comparisons with BMW, Merc, Audi and possibly Lexus, when non-EV enthusiasts take a look and seriously consider a purchase. I have to believe the number of those people choosing the CCI option would be non-trivial and might, in fact, be the majority of all purchasers of the car.

View attachment 7104

IMHO an option for a more traditional console along the lines of Solflauthor's suggestions would be a smart move in addition to offering more minimalistic console options with open space for those who prefer them. I note, however, that in Soflauthor's diagram the cup holders have not been relocated which means you cannot use cup holders and the arm rest at the same time. In a traditional console you must be able to use cup holders and arm rests concurrently. Tesla is not going to satisfy the mainstream customer desiring a more traditional console by leaving those cup holders where they are and dropping a larger console into the open space. Perhaps Soflauthor will post an iteration to his design that will allow the use cup holders and arm rests concurrently in a larger, more traditional console option.

(What really should be done of course is to totally revamp the arm rest module and create ample storage underneath the arm rests where everyone expects it. None of us knows how difficult this might be, however, given that we are told there are electronics under there and ducts in the rear.)

Cup holder options

What about a pop-out concealed cup holder within the console - similar to that found in some late-90s MBs:
MB cupholder2.jpg
MB cupholder.jpg