Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opportunity Console - New Photos, Poll

This is how I'd like my Model S configured

• No console, keep it open

Votes: 84 14.3%
  • Somewhere for bits and bobs

Votes: 343 58.2%
  • My phone needs a home

Votes: 303 51.4%
  • Give me somewhere for the 'big-gulp'

Votes: 158 26.8%
  • Forget seat 5, give me more in the back

Votes: 110 18.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is unexplainable to me. ...

If this was a mediocre car, or even a regular "great" car, I would accept that maybe it scores a 3 in one category, designers can't do everything perfectly. But that a car that managed to outdo every other car out there in almost every single category underperforms every other car in the planet by a wide margin in one of the most trivially solvable aspects is bizarre.

Not just bizarre but bordering insulting, and defintitely most annoying. Sure, if all you carry around/need is an iPhone and a keyfob, go for the Model S. But especially for families - and a car with that much interior room (as opposed to "usable and enclosed storage space") is aimed at families, is it not? - the Model S underperforms drastically in that respect. Of course one could argue you should buy third-party cupholders, stick-on/hang-on storage devices and the like. But for a car in that price category such a suggestion is ridiculous to put it mildly, when cars one fifth the price of an S offer all these amenities for free.

I believe I have gotten over my storage and cup holder issue. The cup holders in the center are not ideal, but my coffee mug sits there just fine for my morning trips to work. I bought that small Piel leather storage box, and it holds all the essentials (gate pass, sunglasses, coins). I never had a lot of clutter in my previous car, but frankly, having even less now makes it nicer...

I believe I have gotten over my storage and cup holder issue. The cup holders in the center are not ideal, but my coffee mug sits there just fine for my morning trips to work. I bought that small Piel leather storage box, and it holds all the essentials (gate pass, sunglasses, coins). I never had a lot of clutter in my previous car, but frankly, having even less now makes it nicer...

I'm finding the same thing. I wasn't concerned as much as some about storage but it definitely was a valid concern. My old car had maps from various states some 10+ years old (not needed anymore) and CDs in cases or those holder devices (also not needed) and other junk. I do hope they come out with various options in the future for people that need it though.

I'm finding the same thing. I wasn't concerned as much as some about storage but it definitely was a valid concern. My old car had maps from various states some 10+ years old (not needed anymore) and CDs in cases or those holder devices (also not needed) and other junk. I do hope they come out with various options in the future for people that need it though.

Storage is not that huge of an issue. I kinda like throwing stuff down there. Usable cupholders is still a big issue (front and back), but otherwise, I'm enjoying the open console much more than I thought I would.

It seems that most of you are single or couples without young children - I thought the Model S (with its gigantic interior storage and optional jumpseats) was mainly aimed at families. And those (like ourselves - two kids, 1 and 5 years old) always have loads of things to store on roadtrips.

And about not needing maps anymore: am I really the only one who still finds a quick look at a (current of course) paper map more convenient than looking a location up on a browser? Especially in rural areas where coverage/connection might often be quite bad. At the moment, when I am somewhere I haven't been before and I am looking for a road / POI / etc., I get out my map from the door pocket, open it, and look the place up. Takes hardly more than a few seconds. I would bet that action takes less time than telling the SIS (seventeen-inch-screen) what to look for and waiting for the result to pop up. Or is entering a location, search and display of the result that quick?

It seems that most of you are single or couples without young children - I thought the Model S (with its gigantic interior storage and optional jumpseats) was mainly aimed at families. And those (like ourselves - two kids, 1 and 5 years old) always have loads of things to store on roadtrips.

And about not needing maps anymore: am I really the only one who still finds a quick look at a (current of course) paper map more convenient than looking a location up on a browser? Especially in rural areas where coverage/connection might often be quite bad. At the moment, when I am somewhere I haven't been before and I am looking for a road / POI / etc., I get out my map from the door pocket, open it, and look the place up. Takes hardly more than a few seconds. I would bet that action takes less time than telling the SIS (seventeen-inch-screen) what to look for and waiting for the result to pop up. Or is entering a location, search and display of the result that quick?

I've got 2 little ones ... but 99% of the time it's just me in the car. And - as I've hammered Tesla from the start - it's inconceivable in this day and age to not have secure storage. The car with the pano is wide open viewing just waiting for a thief for a quick and easy smash and grab. If you keep stuff in the cubby, just wait till the first time you try a 0-60 run ... and watch everything fly out in perfect sequence ...

I know Tesla designers wanted to show off all that space. Fine, do it on the prototypes, not on the real world model.

NOTE: The original S had a full center console .....

Just my .02.

Might be the generation I'm from, but I'd prefer to just use GPS or look digitally. Good point on being in a rural area, but I can't remember ever being somewhere where my maps didn't work (granted, before the S all of our cars had hard drive maps so no need for connectivity).

NOTE: The original S had a full center console .....

The original S also had a Mercedes chassis and likely no flat floor...

If you keep stuff in the cubby, just wait till the first time you try a 0-60 run ... and watch everything fly out in perfect sequence

This does happen. It happens to me all the time on upward sloping onramps. But I have used it while demoing the car as a way to get my sunglasses out! And I have lost 3 rolls of blistex this way. (I have gone under the seats and found them all). But I don't really find this as an annoyance yet.

Not just bizarre but bordering insulting, and defintitely most annoying. Sure, if all you carry around/need is an iPhone and a keyfob, go for the Model S. But especially for families - and a car with that much interior room (as opposed to "usable and enclosed storage space") is aimed at families, is it not? - the Model S underperforms drastically in that respect. Of course one could argue you should buy third-party cupholders, stick-on/hang-on storage devices and the like. But for a car in that price category such a suggestion is ridiculous to put it mildly, when cars one fifth the price of an S offer all these amenities for free.

I have always been a fan of the open center area. And am a bigger fan now that I have it. It is about the exact perfect space to put Chinese or Thai takeout food. Not to mention I LOVE having my phone sit there charging normally.

I find that the less storage space I have the less clutter I have. For example I put a dry cleaning ticket on the floor area, all the way forward on Saturday. When Tuesday came, I could easily see the ticket to remind me to pick up the laundry. I naturally didn't bring the ticket into the dry cleaners with me (I never seem to be able to do that). Picked up my dry cleaning got back in the car and finally got home from work. When I got out of the car I saw the ticket and threw into the trash bin when I got out. It is great.

I think a fold down armrest with 2 cupholders in the back should have probably been there. But don't knock the minimalism before you try it. It seems that people are actually liking it. I know I do.

There are two things I find lacking. The cubby is about 1.5" too short (not deep enough). My Sunglasses case sticks out a little bit. There needs to be a place to put a microfiber cloth. Right now I use one of the cup holders. But am constantly moving it from one side to another. I also plan on putting a small divider vertically in the cubby very close to the drivers side. So I can put my RFID access cards upright. They slide around a little bit inside the cubby and require a second to find every now and then.

The cupholders are better than my VW GTI's were. And infinately better than my dad's cupholders in his Audi TT. I do sit fairly far back, so they aren't behind me, so I might not be normal in that regard.

The original Model S didn't have a center console - actually, it didn't have any insides, it was just carved out of foam... Am I going back too far?

Well let me specify then ...

tesla-model-s.jpg