Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opportunity to trade in my 85 for a P85.. worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't worry about miles, they don't matter. I'm driving my S 85 with over 100k miles since last week, still drives amazing. With the drive train and battery warranty, there is no real risk of having a high mileage Tesla.

I had a P85 loaner once, and immediately felt the response to be very different. If I could trade, I would. Had a P90D once too as loaner, but that's too much and there you also know it's literally insane. The P85 has an excellent balance between being great fun and being mental.

Don't worry about miles, they don't matter. I'm driving my S 85 with over 100k miles since last week, still drives amazing. With the drive train and battery warranty, there is no real risk of having a high mileage Tesla.
Yes, but the mileage issue is not about wear and tear but about whether you will exceed the 50K limit in the first four years - and cannot then extend the warranty. But if the car is coming with a CPO warranty from Tesla, I guess that won't be a problem.

Yes, but the mileage issue is not about wear and tear but about whether you will exceed the 50K limit in the first four years - and cannot then extend the warranty. But if the car is coming with a CPO warranty from Tesla, I guess that won't be a problem.

Yeah actually warranty wise I'd be better getting the CPO even with the higher miles because mine is a 2013. I'm already all out of warranty.

Soooo.... update... this is where things currently stand. Took my Tesla to the Orlando Service center today, had it inspected and appraised (at 16,600 miles), they are offering me $55,800 for it. Which i think is fair (KBB is matching up btw).

I wanted to test drive a P85, but they didn't have any in stock, he did however let me test drive a 75D (well a P100D which they set down to 75D).... and to be honest..... I just wasn't blown away....it felt a little bit peppier than my S85, but it didn't feel like a night and day difference... I'm assuming the P85 would perform similar given that they are both listed at 0-60 in 4.2 - Am I crazy or something for feeling this way? He let me gun it a few times on an open road, and it just didn't feel too drastically different from my car.

I sent him the following email afterwards and he swears its 0-60 in 4.2 seconds:

We rode today in P100D (If I recall correctly) set to run as a 75D.... scouring the internet articles and Tesla forums, it's my understanding the 75D's were not always sold with the current performance numbers prior to the software update last year (uncorking) (See article: Tesla is unlocking extra power in older Model S and X 75D vehicles – cutting a second off 0-60 mph acceleration). So I guess my question is, was this car running as a 75D with today's numbers (0-60 in 4.2 seconds) or the original 75D numbers (0-60 in 5.2 seconds)... Is there really any way to find out? :)

So I've recently walked into an opportunity to trade in my S85 with 16,000 miles for a P85 with 29,000 miles... Pretty much at an even exchange $ wise.

The question is... Do I do it? Is it really worth it? I don't want to make the trade, hit the pedal and be like, that's it?

I really really want the power factor.... But there's also a sentimental factor.. my current S was my father's car and I inherited last year when he passed away.

Just wondering what others here would do.
If you drive you car to Cali I can make your 85 run as P85 ;)