Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opportunity to trade in my 85 for a P85.. worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've recently walked into an opportunity to trade in my S85 with 16,000 miles for a P85 with 29,000 miles... Pretty much at an even exchange $ wise.

The question is... Do I do it? Is it really worth it? I don't want to make the trade, hit the pedal and be like, that's it?

I really really want the power factor.... But there's also a sentimental factor.. my current S was my father's car and I inherited last year when he passed away.

Just wondering what others here would do.

i can't think of one Tesla owning dad telling you not to grab the P85, but i'm often wrong.

Lol... Hilariously, I think my dad would have been that ONE Tesla owning dad that would say the P is not worth it.

This was a fundamental difference between him and I.

I always had to have the fastest car within my given budget... Options be damned... my dad on the other hand thought "fast is fast enough.. let's get the car fully loaded!"

Reactions: Olds442
Haha! See I told you I was often wrong. (never fails, ever.)

I love my P85 but rarely go to the floor with the pedal. (That's my story and I don't care what the Tesla data for my car says, computers lie.)

Go with your gut on the decision, that's the best I have. We sound like similar types, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Under typical driving conditions, you won't notice the difference between an S85 and P85. With our P85 (and S 100D, with the same 0-60 acceleration), except for showing off on highway entrance ramps (and then rapidly slowing back down to the posted speed limit), you probably won't notice the difference. The S85 is still faster than most cars on the road...

If you are going to change - going to a dual motor configuration will improve range - which you can see, if you are taking any road trips.

Reactions: .jg.
The P85 has almost double the mileage and is much closer to the 50K warranty limit. That is something to factor into any decision. Another question of concern would be: why does the other party want to trade their P85 for your 85? How have the the P85's 29,000 miles been driven (would anyone pay for the "P", if they didn't intend to use it) and how has the battery been treated?

• Love
Reactions: Olds442
The trade in discussions are with Tesla directly. Not an individual seller...

The P85 I was eyeing got sold :/

There's a P85+ here in FL that may fit the bill... But with even more miles.. grrr

Non negotiables are the rear facing seats (wife's request). Other than that I'm pretty flexible.

The trade in discussions are with Tesla directly. Not an individual seller...

The P85 I was eyeing got sold :/

There's a P85+ here in FL that may fit the bill... But with even more miles.. grrr

Non negotiables are the rear facing seats (wife's request). Other than that I'm pretty flexible.

Plus suspension is really nice. Mileage on a Tesla isn't as big of a deal as with other cars.