TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Opti Coat on top of Paint Protective Film?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by GasDoc, May 14, 2014.

1. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

I have an appointment to have Opti-Coat put on by Joe at Orinda Auto detail next week. Seems like a lot of northern California Model S owners have gone there.

He says that I should have the Opti-Coat put on top of my existing paint protective film. My car has film applied by Premier Protective Films in Fremont. They use film manufactured by Prestige Film Technologies.

Should I go ahead and do this? What are people's experiences with Opti-Coat over film? Anyone have direct experience with this combination of manufacturers?

Thanks in advance.

2. 808inthe510

808inthe510 Member

GasDoc,

I had this done with Joe. Opti-Coat on paint, then Xpel ultimate then Opti-Coat on top of that. The Opti-Coat on top of the film is to make it easier for washing, etc. I hand wash my car every couple of weeks and the water slips right off....

Lance

3. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

yes you can opticoat over paint protection film. but you have to ask yourself, what is it that you hope to accomplish? both opticoat and PPF are meant to provide a layer of protection. by applying PPF, you are protecting the cars paint. by applying opticoat on top of PPF, you are providing protection for the protection. that being said, PPF can be scratched too. especially on the front (most common place to have PPF) where you will be getting hit from dirt and other road debris. PPF can be buffed just like the paint itself. after seeing how badly my PPF got pitted from continuously driving through construction areas on the turnpike, i polished the PPF as best I could then applied 22ple VX1 on top of it. 22ple crystalizes and hardens to form a protection layer (like opticoat) and provides an extreme amount of shine. now I less worry about driving through those construction zones anymore.

4. paintpolisher

paintpolisher Banned

Yes. Had Xpel ultimate done here in Atlanta two years ago on my wife's BMW. I finally applied Opti-Coat Pro to the film about a year ago. Prior to OCP, bugs would etch into the films with a quality sealant applied. After Opti-Coat Pro no more bug etching, even if I can't wash it for 4 weeks. Everything including the bugs just washes off.