Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opti-Coat Pro Plus PSA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, let me start by saying this is likely my fault, but wanted to pass this along so others don’t damage their coatings as well. I picked up a black M3 recently and after agonizing over which coating and detailer to go with, I rolled with Opti-Coat Pro Plus and Fresh Start Detail in Portland. Fresh Start did an amazing job detailing and coating my Tesla, and even gave me a loaner to use while they had my M3. When I picked up my car, they gave me all off the paperwork, a bottle of ONR, and a microfiber towel to use with it. They also scheduled an appointment for me to come back in a month for a complimentary wash and checkup of the coating. Nice!

So far so good.

For the uninitiated, Opti-Coat Pro Plus needs time to cure to its full hardness. After 7 days, it becomes chemically resistant, and after a month, it’ll be at its maximum hardness. This little detail is the point of this PSA. I must of had a communication error and thought I was told I could wash it after 7 days, so armed with my freshly acquired Opti Big Red Sponge and my ONR, I went forward with my first wash. I immediately noticed that I had left small swirls and scratches in the coating and couldn’t believe I had just ruined a $1400 coating job.

Crestfallen, I called Fresh Start and spoke with Billy who let me know that I wasn’t supposed to wash the car for 30 days and the ONR and microfiber towel was for anything that got on it before they washed it, like bird bombs, sprinkler water, etc. He asked that I bring it by on the next sunny day so he could inspect it and see what needs to happen to fix it. He did say that it wasn’t ruined (you’d need a sander to get it off of the car), but they may need to perform a correction on it to get the scratches out of it. He also mentioned that there is a prep process for the Big Red Sponge that I was unaware of since it didn’t come with any instructions. Basically you’ll need to wash it out and soak in in ONR overnight before you use it, as well as keep it soaking in ONR between uses.

Fingers crossed that they’ll be able to fix it for me without much effort. I’ll follow up as things progress for anyone that is interested. I just need a sunny day to occur so I can get it inspected, which won’t be anytime soon…Portland and all.

So there you have it. If you get Opti-Coated, don’t be me.

Also, have any of you had the same experience? If so, how did it turn out?

TLDR:
Opti-Coat Pro Plus takes 30 days to cure. Don’t wash it until then.
Opti-Coat Pro Plus becomes chemically resistant after 7 days, so you can remove "accidental exposures” with the provided ONR.
The Opti Big Red Sponge needs to be soaked in ONR overnight before its first use.

I am the owner of Fresh Start Detail Co. We had a company-wide conversation about your issue to figure out what went wrong.
First, know that we're not going to charge you anything for any paint correction that may be needed to fix the issue. Billy and I made this executive decision because we must not have communicated to you clearly enough the importance of waiting the 30 days before washing.
Also, we are not the biggest fans of the Big Red Sponge for the reasons you mentioned, this is why we recommend and sell only the microfiber noodle wash mitts.
Rest assured you have not done anything to shorten the lifespan or effectiveness of your coating. Once cured, coatings free you from worrying about your paint's finish. They don't have to be treated with kid gloves like so many people tend to think. Just follow the best practices outlined in your pamphlet and what we show you while you're here.
I also appreciate you bringing this to our attention so we can fine-tune our communication process to future clients.
See you soon!

...and remember RDWYHOCP+ (Relax, Don't Worry, You Have Opti-Coat Pro+)

@JasontheBeaver, I see it is no accident that you guys came so highly recommended. Thank you for the post, and I hope that this didn't come across as disparaging to you guys! You guys delivered the (amazing) results you promised and I take responsibility for the damage. I truly appreciate your sincere desire to help out your customers and standing behind your work. Again, there was a reason I brought my car to you, (lots of great reviews, taking the time on the phone to help a new comer, etc.), but I'm even more impressed with your commit to your customers' (and my) satisfaction.
Kudos to you and your team!

Now if the rain would just go away....
;)

Reactions: JasontheBeaver
@JasontheBeaver, I see it is no accident that you guys came so highly recommended. Thank you for the post, and I hope that this didn't come across as disparaging to you guys! You guys delivered the (amazing) results you promised and I take responsibility for the damage. I truly appreciate your sincere desire to help out your customers and standing behind your work. Again, there was a reason I brought my car to you, (lots of great reviews, taking the time on the phone to help a new comer, etc.), but I'm even more impressed with your commit to your customers' (and my) satisfaction.
Kudos to you and your team!

Now if the rain would just go away....
;)
Hey the only way businesses stay on top is if their clients communicate any problems. You've done just that, so I thank you! You've helped our communication process to ensure our future clients are happy.

Just a follow up on my M3's coating and my PSA. I took it back over to Fresh Start and @JasontheBeaver, and his team, reworked my Tesla (washed, polished, detailed, etc) to undo my mistakes with the Big Ruining Sponge and refused to charge me for it. Jason even took the time to fill a bucket of ONR, a proper wash mitt, and demonstrated how to wash my car without screwing it up. Outstanding service.
Anyway, the M3 looks great again, and I wanted to follow up with my PSA.
Just remember, mitts off for 30 days and you'll be golden.
:)