Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opti Coat Really Needed Due To Paint Defects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been reading this forum for quite some time and thanks to all who have contributed and helped others with useful information.
I would like to share my experience with installing Opti-Coat Pro in the Chicago area. First of all, it is TRUE that Tesla Model S has soft paint. I took it to "Chicago Auto Pros Detailing" in Glen Ellyn, and what a surprise when they showed me all the swirl marks and defects under flashlight. I only gently hand-washed the car once since taking it home last month. So it is really necessary to put some kind of paint protection on this car.
They worked on it for 2 days, and the result is awesome. The car looks better than brand new. I hope it will last that way a long time.
BTW, this detail shop "Chicago Auto Pros" also does window tinting. So I did that as the same time. I chose 20% Llumar(?). The result is perfect. They are probably the cheapest among all the authorized OC Pro installers in Chicago area but the quality is top notch.
Since they are very close to the Service Center in Villa Park, I highly suggest owners make an appointment with them on the same day when you take delivery. The earlier you put Opti Coat on it, the better.

You can also do XPel if you worry about small chips on the front of the car during highway driving. I did not do it this time, but I will schedule an appointment with them next time I do the service of my Tesla.
20131217_082543.jpg

Just a note--I would not have titled the thread 'due to paint defects'. The paint is not defective per se, but because this is a Made in California car, the paint must comply with the tough CA VOC pollution rules. Thus Tesla uses paint formulated to meet the requirements. While there are conflicting opinions, my detailer who did my OptiCoat says the paint is just very soft and prone to swirls, scratches & holograms even with meticulous car care. I wonder if this is why TM offers factory paint protection film. In any event, I had OptiCoat done months ago. The trick is to find a detailer who will do meticulous paint prep/perfection. Yes, the prep is expensive, but that is the hard part. You don't want to trap scratches under the OptiCoat. In Chicago you will really be happy given the snow etc. Did they dismount the wheels and do the rear as well as the front? Did they do the plastic and glass?

I wasn't convinced that Opti Coat (or similar protection) would be necessary or result in a high luster finish -- until i read your post and saw your great photo. Thanks for clearing up (pun intended) my doubts. Your car is beautiful!

What is the difference between Opti-Coat Pro and the DIY Opti-Coat 2.0?

From what I've read, not much, if any. It's basically easier to apply, and that's it. According to some "pro detailer's forums" they didn't like this product, not because if any type of "inferior quality", but rather simply because once people find out they can do it themselves it essentially takes part of their business away. *However*, this is just a protectant coating/sealent. You'll still need a pro to do a paint correction first (remove the paint defects, scratches, and swirls). If you get the Opti-Coat 2.0 and apply it yourself without doing a paint correction first (aka thorough wash, clay bar, and polishing via DA polisher), then all you'll end up do is "protecting the swirls" so that they always gleaming at you lol. you could do all this yourself if you know what you're doing and handy like that (doesn't take a genius). But if you don't learn the right techniques, you'll damage the paint more than correct it and end up having to take it to a pro anyway.

OptiCoat Pro is more viscous, goes on thicker and cooks off faster. A pro can lay it on thicker at impact areas. A pro also can guarantee his/her work. Do you want to practice on your $80-100k Model S with the consumer version?

FWIW, my detailer charged $300 for the prep (and it depends how bad your paint is) and the 'going rate' of $350 for OptiCoat (on everything) with warranty.

YMMV.

I recently took deliver of my MS and a few days later had XPEL paint protection installed on my whole front hood, fenders, rocker panel area, and pillars. I am thinking of getting Opti Coat. Question is, is it better to have had the Opti Coat applied before paint protection or is it OK to apply Opti Coat to the remaining car after paint protection or is it not worth at all? The local installer said he can apply Opti Coat on top of the XPEL to protect it.

One concern I have is if they apply Opti Coat over and around paint protection, what if the part of the paint protection starts to peel or if I get into an accident? Parts will have Opti Coat and parts will not. Will it be easy to apply apply Opti Coat again to blend into those areas or perhaps remove Opti Coat down the road?

Last edited:
I recently took deliver of my MS and a few days later had XPEL paint protection installed on my whole front hood, fenders, rocker panel area, and pillars. I am thinking of getting Opti Coat. Question is, is it better to have had the Opti Coat applied before paint protection or is it OK to apply Opti Coat to the remaining car after paint protection or is it not worth at all? The local installer said he can apply Opti Coat on top of the XPEL to protect it.

One concern I have is if they apply Opti Coat over and around paint protection, what if the part of the paint protection starts to peel or if I get into an accident? Parts will have Opti Coat and parts will not. Will it be easy to apply apply Opti Coat again to blend into those areas or perhaps remove Opti Coat down the road?

Correct order of events:

1. Wash area
2. Clay to decontaminate the paint
3. Paint correction to eliminate imperfections such as swirls, sanding marks, buffer trails, etc.
4. Wipe down with IPA
5. Apply film
6. Apply coating

Down the road, if the installation is a good one, edges tucked and wrapped around panels, you shouldn't have lifting issues. If you do, simply have the lifted edge trimmed, then apply the coating to exposed area.

Coating can most often be removed with abrasion, polishing the paint. Make sure to tell the body shop that any panel that need to be blended into have a coating that needs to be polished off.

Hope this helps