TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Opti-guard for Leather - worth it?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by PatD, Feb 9, 2015.

1. PatD

PatD Member

I've seen one or two people mention Opti-Guard for their leather, otherwise I didn't even know this existed. Worth it? I'm going to have the grey leather, so I want to do whatever is necessary to keep them clean. At the same time, I have no problem applying the correct products annually to keep up with it myself as I do now.

Anyone that has had it done - what was the cost if I may ask?

2. iadbound

iadbound Member

I got it for my tan leather. I've only had it two months, but it did make getting the dye transfer from jeans and general dirt easier to get off (just cleaned the car yesterday so it's fresh in my mind)-- not a complete breeze, but easier. My detailer did mention that the seats have to be super clean before the coating is put on.

3. kelvie

kelvie Member

I don't have any coating, and wear raw denim basically every day on my tan seats, so they got a nice shade of blue after a few months.

I expected this (I wear jeans a lot, but the tan seats looked the best), and assumed that they'd be permanently stained, but I tried wiping them off with a microfibre cloth with warm water and it came right off. They look like new again.

4. joefee

joefee Over 2 Million TMC page views

I have Sig white leather and they are holding up nicely after 8000 miles! I know drive it more

5. PatD

PatD Member

With or without opti-guard?

Sounds like it's really not worth it, if wiping them off with warm water holds up. I think I'll just handle the protection myself.

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Not sure it's worth it. I had it done, but got bad color transfer from my belt that I can't get off. I had the same problem in my Acura with the same difficulty removing. Maybe I'm buying the wrong belts! I can say that jeans transfer comes right off. But it also did in my Acura.

7. joefee

joefee Over 2 Million TMC page views

Without. My DS told me the seats are made to be cleaned with only damp microfiber.

8. paintpolisher

paintpolisher Banned

Is that because your DS is a pro detailer? :) Tesla leather is coated like many other leathers on the market. If you clean it often enough, a damp MF might be enough. If you dont a specialized leather cleaner may be required. Best thing you can do for your leather seats is to vac with a brush attachment, pay special attention to the seams where all the dirt likes to hide. Your moving around in the seat will cause the dirt to abrade the leather, which causes excessive wear of the leather.