TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Opticoat and/or Xpel??

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by dpodoll, Apr 10, 2015.

1. dpodoll

dpodoll Member

Thinking about Opticoat (whole car) and Zpel wrap (full front). Does this make sense, and which goes on first? Mahalo

2. Gr8pursuit

Gr8pursuit Member

Wrap first then Opticoat on top.

3. commasign

commasign Active Member

Paint correction/polish, then Xpel, then Opticoat. Ideally find a detailer that can do all 3 for you.

4. Glitch

Glitch Member

Opticoat on xpel is waste of money and has no use. The Xpel is self healing thus adding optician will close the wrap.

5. HebrHmr

HebrHmr Member

From my research, XPEL provides largely a physical protection while Opticoat provides chemical. Opticoat on top of xpel will help protect the wrap from discoloration/etching from chemical threats. It will also make it easier to clean and alleviate some of the "matte appearance" concerns people have with clear wraps. I read a lot on various other car forums as well and I intend to do full front or full xpel wrap followed by opticoat/22PLE or one of the other sealants.

6. commasign

commasign Active Member

You definitely need a sealant on top of the Xpel. Most people get Opticoat, but Xpel makes a sealant as well.