TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Opticoat and wraps

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Mel911, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Mel911

Mel911 Member

Did the research on the wraps - lots of good info. I wonder, though, if I can get away with Opticoat only? Or if I had to choose one or the other, which should I pick? Both just seems like overkill to me.

2. birdsaresmarter

If you are concerned about real physical debris strikes and chips (which will happen no matter what you do), vandalism, then you need a wrap. None of the coatings will protect against those. Well, some coatings will help against certain types of vandalism but not harsh physical impacts.

3. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Local Vendor - Southeast

This is correct. Mel911, think of it as clear bra / paint protection film is there for impacts and coatings are more for protection against elements and creating gloss.

4. themacs

themacs Member

We have the protection film provided by Tesla. Love it. Our car is silver and you have to look hard to find it. It is on the front and back along with the mirrors. No nicks from rock or debris in 10,000 miles. Very happy with it. However I don't think tesla offers it anymore. Our car is a 7/14 build.

5. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

I think you can best assess your needs by asking a few questions....

How long will you be owning the Tesla?

You current auto, how many rock chips are on your current car? And over what time period?

What kind of personality type are you? Will a ding or chip really bother you greatly?

I feel that your honest answers to these questions can guide you along the way. Film protection, especially those films that self heal, are the way to go for those of us who want the most protection.

6. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

One of the best answers I've heard. This is how we qualify a client when they ask me which is right for them, or if they're a good candidate for a full vehicle wrap.

7. Premier Mobile

Premier Mobile Local Vendor - NorCal

#7 Premier Mobile, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    In terms of durability and protective capability, it would be paint protection film. Here's a video of a Tesla that was keyed during the Berkeley protests here. The film was severely keyed, but there was no damage to the paint: