Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opticoat and wraps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are concerned about real physical debris strikes and chips (which will happen no matter what you do), vandalism, then you need a wrap. None of the coatings will protect against those. Well, some coatings will help against certain types of vandalism but not harsh physical impacts.

If you are concerned about real physical debris strikes and chips (which will happen no matter what you do), vandalism, then you need a wrap. None of the coatings will protect against those. Well, some coatings will help against certain types of vandalism but not harsh physical impacts.

This is correct. Mel911, think of it as clear bra / paint protection film is there for impacts and coatings are more for protection against elements and creating gloss.

We have the protection film provided by Tesla. Love it. Our car is silver and you have to look hard to find it. It is on the front and back along with the mirrors. No nicks from rock or debris in 10,000 miles. Very happy with it. However I don't think tesla offers it anymore. Our car is a 7/14 build.

I think you can best assess your needs by asking a few questions....

How long will you be owning the Tesla?

You current auto, how many rock chips are on your current car? And over what time period?

What kind of personality type are you? Will a ding or chip really bother you greatly?

I feel that your honest answers to these questions can guide you along the way. Film protection, especially those films that self heal, are the way to go for those of us who want the most protection.

I think you can best assess your needs by asking a few questions....

How long will you be owning the Tesla?

You current auto, how many rock chips are on your current car? And over what time period?

What kind of personality type are you? Will a ding or chip really bother you greatly?

I feel that your honest answers to these questions can guide you along the way. Film protection, especially those films that self heal, are the way to go for those of us who want the most protection.

One of the best answers I've heard. This is how we qualify a client when they ask me which is right for them, or if they're a good candidate for a full vehicle wrap.

In terms of durability and protective capability, it would be paint protection film. Here's a video of a Tesla that was keyed during the Berkeley protests here. The film was severely keyed, but there was no damage to the paint:

Last edited by a moderator: