Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opticoat Pro

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clay applied opticoat to my white S85 the other day. He did an amazing job and I'd highly recommend. The attention to detail was incredible. I haven't gotten any good pictures yet because of the weather but hope to soon. I think he's done quite a few Teslas now - he had a red one in just the day before mine.

OK, I'm an early adopter (Sig delivered end of 2012, VIN under 1000) but late to adopt the excellent advice offered about Opticoat Pro. Finally had paint correction and Opticoat Pro done in Scottsdale by Pit Stop Detailing. Excellent, amazing, just what others have reported. Paint correction fixed some nasty clear coat scratches I caused by careless washing and now everything is mirror perfect.

But the biggest surprise is how the new gloss completely changes Sig Red color for the better! It was always a stunning "cabernet" dark red but now it is all that with a luminance boost that make it look like a completely different color.

In fact five friends that have seen my car commented they did not even recognize it as the same color car.

So there are now THREE reds (maybe four): Sig Red, Sig Red Opticoat, and Production Red. Loving this!

IMG_4016.jpg

OK, I'm an early adopter (Sig delivered end of 2012, VIN under 1000) but late to adopt the excellent advice offered about Opticoat Pro. Finally had paint correction and Opticoat Pro done in Scottsdale by Pit Stop Detailing. Excellent, amazing, just what others have reported. Paint correction fixed some nasty clear coat scratches I caused by careless washing and now everything is mirror perfect.

But the biggest surprise is how the new gloss completely changes Sig Red color for the better! It was always a stunning "cabernet" dark red but now it is all that with a luminance boost that make it look like a completely different color.

In fact five friends that have seen my car commented they did not even recognize it as the same color car.

So there are now THREE reds (maybe four): Sig Red, Sig Red Opticoat, and Production Red. Loving this!

View attachment 51282

...and I guess multi-coat red OptiCoat (my shade...).

Video Comparison - Opticoat Pro vs. Factory Clearcoat

I thought I'd post my experience with Opticoat Pro for anyone who is on the fence about the investment (with some video).

I got my Model S Opticoat'ed as soon as I took delivery, so I never really got to live with my car without it applied. Overall, the car is a dream to clean - especially the wheels. The car looks cleaner, longer. I've had a few hairline scratches since it's application, so I don't really think it adds much in terms of hardness, but the gloss and shine of the car is fantastic.

My significant other decided to introduce my car to the side of our garage which led to a nasty scratch on the bumper that I had to get repaired (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10232291/TMC Post Assets/IMG_0110.jpg). As a result, my bumper (which was repaired by a Tesla authorized shop) was left with a factory clear coat and I haven't had a chance to have Opticoat Pro re-applied.

About 6 weeks have elapsed since the repair, and I took two videos showing the difference in water repelling/beading between my treated hood/side panel and the untreated bumper.

Here's a look from the driver's side side panel/bumper: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10232291/TMC Post Assets/no-opticoat-front_driver_bumper.m4v

And here's a look from the top hood to the bumper: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10232291/TMC Post Assets/no-opticoat-front_passenger_bumper.m4v

Hopefully you can see the difference. There was about (don't judge) 2 weeks worth on the car. This is just the pre-rinse stage (at the start) of the wash. I hadn't actually applied any soap or cleaned anything yet.

Pretty amazing stuff, if you ask me. I need to get the bumper treated ASAP.