Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opticoat worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting ready for a mid to late August delivery and have been going back and forth on the opticoat decision. With my current cars, even though I had bought them new, I have seldom gone to the car wash (maybe once a month). If the car got dirty, I got it washed. But the Opticoat philosophy seems more about not getting the car dirty. I have also heard the paint on the Model S is 'soft'. Not sure what that means and if it is any different from other brands (I drive a 7 yo Prius that still looks shiny and new).

So what do you guys think? To opticoat or not to opticoat?

I got a very similar product, cquartz. I like it. It is a little easier to clean and keep clean. Sometimes, 2 weeks after a wash, the car finish still looks spectacular. However the standard elements (aftermath of rain, birds, tree, dust) still stick to the paint. I would not expect that the coating will protect your car from scratches. I see rock chips/dents. However, with a proper wash or an ONR wash and dry I have not seen any swirl marks or scratches. On the flip side, I baby this car more than I ever have with any car. So it could just look better because of that....

I did it on our X and my S. Love the ease of washing the car. The water beading is way better than any home applied version of the coating. I also had a professionally applied coat on each car when they were fresh from the dealer. The coating coupled with a front end clear bra eases the mind on our rock-heavy highways in Colorado.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I did it on our X and my S. Love the ease of washing the car. The water beading is way better than any home applied version of the coating. I also had a professionally applied coat on each car when they were fresh from the dealer. The coating coupled with a front end clear bra eases the mind on our rock-heavy highways in Colorado.

My next car will have either Opti-Coat Pro or Permanon, along with the least orange-peelish film I can find for the frunk, front clip, and fenders. After 55,000 miles, more than one service rep has commented that the front end is remarkably rock chip-free relative to what they usually see. I attribute that to the 5 microns of OCP along with a decided lack of interest on my part for drafting or tailgating. Further, I don't live in snow or desert country, which tends to have more dirt on the roads in general. The difference between living in coastal SoCal versus pretty much anywhere else has been striking, relative to how long the car stays clean between washes. Not to mention how often the windshield has to get cleaned. But that's another matter with almost as many redundant threads related thereto.

It depends on your lifestyle and situation.

I got my car back from the detailer. I had a full paint correction, Cquartz finest, and a full Xpel kit done to the exterior. According to my detailer, he said Cquartz finest is glossier and looks better than Opticoat Pro. However, if you plan to go through automatic carwashes (more abrasive chemicals used) and not do handwashes, then Opticoat Pro will last longer (a few more years) and is more durable. I don't mine washing my Model S once or twice a month, which is is what he recommends anyway. My car is parked in garage at home overnight, so that helps with keeping the car cleaner for a longer time as well.

Opticoat is one of those products where it doesn't look as good as other products from a gloss and slickness perspective, but performs extremely well in durability and preventing swirls and protecting the factory clear. There's lots of long term owner stories on opti-coat and it's performance. almost 4 years on my S and still working great. Plenty of other S's in the neighborhood with major swirling and paint defects and all of them are newer than my 2012.

Mobileprodetailing opti coat pro installer

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    448.6 KB · Views: 135
So much depends on how long you keep the car. If you own it, expect to keep it over 3 years, and anticipate not trading it in but rather selling it to a private party, I think you can justify 2-7K worth of paint protection.
If you lease and/or trade cars every 2 years or so, I wouldn't spend a whole lot.

It depends on your lifestyle and situation.

I got my car back from the detailer. I had a full paint correction, Cquartz finest, and a full Xpel kit done to the exterior. According to my detailer, he said Cquartz finest is glossier and looks better than Opticoat Pro. However, if you plan to go through automatic carwashes (more abrasive chemicals used) and not do handwashes, then Opticoat Pro will last longer (a few more years) and is more durable. I don't mine washing my Model S once or twice a month, which is is what he recommends anyway. My car is parked in garage at home overnight, so that helps with keeping the car cleaner for a longer time as well.
Who did your car? Price?

Joseph Torbati at OCDetailing in Fremont. He's done many Teslas. I can give you the pricing details over a PM.
Joe is the undisputed king of OCP+ installs on Teslas. If I had to guess I would say he does more of these than the remaining of us licensed OptiCoat installers nationwide. It helps that he's near the Tesla factory and that the car culture in California is quite different than most other areas of the country, be still he has a great reputation and works his tail off to make customers happy.

Reactions: ssrajputev
I stopped by OCDetailing yesterday after I picked up my car at the factory to get a quote. Joe is a great guy from what I was able to tell. It's pricey but he has the experience. He said he's done about 1200 Model S and hundreds of Model Xs as well.