Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optimal SSD size

jager122

Mar 8, 2021
london
I plan to use a 500GB SDD to serve both music and storage for the sentry cam.

I would like to devote as much possible space to music, and on the basis the dashcam over writes it's self what would be a sensible minimum for the sentry cam?

I imagine it'll only be used to store the cached video and only ever used if I honk to save etc ,l.

Does anyone have any stats on just how much storage is permanently needed?

Kevy Baby

Dis-Member
Aug 11, 2019
Brea, CA
I plan to use a 500GB SDD to serve both music and storage for the sentry cam.

I would like to devote as much possible space to music, and on the basis the dashcam over writes it's self what would be a sensible minimum for the sentry cam?

I imagine it'll only be used to store the cached video and only ever used if I honk to save etc ,l.

Does anyone have any stats on just how much storage is permanently needed?
You will no hard data on this. Some people can live with a 32 GB drive for Dash Cam/Sentry (the car overwrites oldest footage when space runs out). I had a dedicated 256 thumb drive for 18 month and never had an issue. You will get a multitude of answers and all are right and all are wrong.

Do you change your music often or will you keep the same stuff? Come up with an estimate of how much space you will need for music and add 10-25% and set that with the balance to cam. I recently had to get more space for music (I've ben re-ripping a lot of tracks to FLAC and been on a bit of a buying spree lately) so I got a 1TB T5 and split it down the middle.

Reactions: jager122

jrweiss98020

Tessa's Tesla
Jan 9, 2020
Edmonds, WA
I agree. You can always copy sentry video to another computer/drive, but your increase in music requirements may never stop. I suspect 128 GB will be more than enough for the sentry, but that's up to you.

Reactions: jager122

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC