Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optimal SSD size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan to use a 500GB SDD to serve both music and storage for the sentry cam.

I would like to devote as much possible space to music, and on the basis the dashcam over writes it's self what would be a sensible minimum for the sentry cam?

I imagine it'll only be used to store the cached video and only ever used if I honk to save etc ,l.

Does anyone have any stats on just how much storage is permanently needed?

I plan to use a 500GB SDD to serve both music and storage for the sentry cam.

I would like to devote as much possible space to music, and on the basis the dashcam over writes it's self what would be a sensible minimum for the sentry cam?

I imagine it'll only be used to store the cached video and only ever used if I honk to save etc ,l.

Does anyone have any stats on just how much storage is permanently needed?
You will no hard data on this. Some people can live with a 32 GB drive for Dash Cam/Sentry (the car overwrites oldest footage when space runs out). I had a dedicated 256 thumb drive for 18 month and never had an issue. You will get a multitude of answers and all are right and all are wrong.

Do you change your music often or will you keep the same stuff? Come up with an estimate of how much space you will need for music and add 10-25% and set that with the balance to cam. I recently had to get more space for music (I've ben re-ripping a lot of tracks to FLAC and been on a bit of a buying spree lately) so I got a 1TB T5 and split it down the middle.

Reactions: jager122
32gb is plenty for Sentry. You may need to pull the drive out after a few months to clean up old Sentry videos-the car doesn’t always do a good job of that.
An SSD is a good choice, because they’ll do “wear-leveling” which maximizes the lifetime of the drive in this kind of application. USB flash drives don’t often do this.

Currently my music library is 32g so I went 50-50 on a 500g drive. Assuming you backup your library on another computer, it’s ridiculously easy to wipe the disk and re partition if you go above 250g music library size.

Currently my music library is 32g so I went 50-50 on a 500g drive. Assuming you backup your library on another computer, it’s ridiculously easy to wipe the disk and re partition if you go above 250g music library size.
I had been using a separate 256GB flash drive for my music but recently outgrew it. So I invested in a 1 TB Samsung T5 and partitioned it to two roughly 500 GB volumes (the other is for TeslaCam). I should be set for a while.