TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Optimal stall choice at empty Supercharger

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Thp3, Jan 7, 2020.

?

Which stall works best at a Supercharger

Poll closed Apr 7, 2020.
  1. Stall 1A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The stall closest to the transformer

6.7%
  3. The stall you can drive nose-first into

3.3%
  4. Any stall that is unshared.

90.0%
  1. Thp3

Thp3 Member

Is there a *best* stall to pick at a Tesla supercharger station?

1) stall 1A ?

2) The stall closest to the transformer?

3) the stall you can drive nose-first into?

My experience seems to be option 2 is the fastest, and I notice that that stall is often taken when there are two Tesla’s charging at a Supercharger station.

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

the one that other people won't want to park next to.

• Like x 3
  3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

With no cars at the site, all stations should be equal. I believe that each pair has dedicated charging units.
    There could be a slight (read maybe seconds faster) advantages to the closest one.

In general, the rule is to NOT park at a charger when someone is charging at it's pair (A/B)

• Like x 1
  4. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

The one that actually charges at max rate, has been my experience. I've had to move stalls at empty Superchargers to get maximum charge rate about 4-5 times on my ~10 stops that I've made on road trips. The position appeared uncorrelated with distance from the charging equipment.

Also, only use ones with the Tesla light on. They should make those lights brighter so they're actually visible in the daytime (I have to go up to them and shade my eyes during the day to see whether the light is on). And if you come across one with a light off, go ahead and tie up the cord on it and leave it hanging, to make it obvious, if someone hasn't already done so.

5. PianoAl

PianoAl Member

That system (in which, if the charging rate for the A car decreases, the rate for the B car will also decrease) sure isn't ideal. I guess there must be a big advantage for Tesla in setting it up that way. I'll bet many Tesla owners aren't aware of that.

6. Thp3

Thp3 Member

Exactly my experience too. I’ve had to move at empty Superchargers to get a decent rate.

I wonder Are the Supercharger stations wired with homerun wiring? Each station wired directly back to the transformer? Or are they wired serially back to the transformer which would have more connections that could reduce charging?

I’m trying not to be a conspiracist, but it seems like the stall closest to the transformer is the most common busy one. Maybe it’s traffic pattern, and that’s the easiest one to access...

in any case, when I move to get a better rate, moving towards the transformer seems to work.

the consensus seems to be that there isn’t an optimal stall.

• Like x 1
  7. cypho

cypho Member

The one that is paired with a broken stall.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 3
  8. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Member

Close to where SpaceXploration begins: 32952
    The transformer is wired to the breaker/bus bar equipment which in turn is wired to individual supercharger (hidden, generally, behind a fence ). Each of those chargers feeds a pair of charging cables. Cabinet 1 feeds 1a/1b, etc. There should be no difference. I never change positions unless there is an abnormally low power coming through e.g. 46kW when there should be about 96kW. If it is 89kw vs expected 96kW I wouldn't waste the time moving. That's just my 120,000 mile experience with lots of superchargers talking. IMHO there is no "optimal stall" in theory or in practice.

Biggest thing on old chargers is avoiding stanchion 1 if someone is on 1 and avoiding 2 if someone is charging on 2, etc. New ones I am not sure it makes a difference. I usually cruise through and see what number people on on a choose accordingly.

• Like x 2
  9. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Member

Close to where SpaceXploration begins: 32952
    #9 Ciaopec, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020

It's probably just me but I leave the nose in for people driving X's with bike racks or trailers. But having watched people backing in (even with HD back up camera and lines)...well, maybe the majority of spots should be nose first.:(

• Like x 2
  10. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

Let me just state it this way. Yes, 1A and 1B are always the fastest charging stations. Everyone should always wiat in line to plug into only these stations.

(That gives me more room at the other stations)

• Funny x 3
  11. MichaelP90DL

MichaelP90DL Active Member

Suddenly it occurs to me that somebody ought to design a bag that can cover the top of a Supercharger station that looks official and proclaims that station is out of order. Then you fill up at the shared station. Remember to grab the bag before you depart. :)

• Funny x 2
  12. cypho

cypho Member

Something that fancy would be a giveaway that it is fake. The station that I frequent with an out of order stall just has the plug covered in masking tape.

13. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2020.48.35.5

Unfortunately, that doesn't always work. Sometimes both paired stalls are broken. :(