Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optimal Toll Tag Placement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The manual actually covers this!

Using RFID Transponders
When attaching an RFID transponder (used by
many automated toll systems) inside Model 3,
place the transponder on the right side of the
rear view mirror as shown. This ensures best
results and minimizes any obstruction to your
driving view.
Note: You can also attach a weather-proof
transponder to the front license plate.

upload_2020-4-12_18-51-44.png

The manual actually covers this!

Using RFID Transponders
When attaching an RFID transponder (used by
many automated toll systems) inside Model 3,
place the transponder on the right side of the
rear view mirror as shown. This ensures best
results and minimizes any obstruction to your
driving view.
Note: You can also attach a weather-proof
transponder to the front license plate.

View attachment 531860
It says the same thing for the Model 3, but my Fastrak (non-Flex) rarely works in that location. I only use it for bridge tolls, so I just let them take a picture of my license plate instead.

I mounted my EZ-Pass (East Coast) the the top of the horizontal bracket holding the monitor, and got a black silicone case for it. Seems to work fine and doesn’t stand out at all. No issues with EZ-Pass as I’m still getting the bills.

Reactions: jpfive
Outside and up top of the front license plate.
Outside doesn't work for a fastrak flex - it has a slider switch to indicate how many people are in the vehicle (and I doubt it's waterproof).

I've got it located as per the manual, but haven't used it yet. I'm close to the I15 express lanes, but also have a Leaf with valid carpool stickers. And not driving as much due to Covid...

Outside doesn't work for a fastrak flex - it has a slider switch to indicate how many people are in the vehicle (and I doubt it's waterproof).

I've got it located as per the manual, but haven't used it yet. I'm close to the I15 express lanes, but also have a Leaf with valid carpool stickers. And not driving as much due to Covid...

I hear you. iPass, used in IL and other states here in the midwest, have a couple different toll tag options. The outside, front plate mounted one, was designed for cars with metal coated windshields but it works great for people who don't want anything stuck to the inside glass. I prefer a clean windshield.

iPass here in IL has license plate readers now, so I'm wondering how much longer we'll need to have transponders on our cars. For example, if your transponder battery dies, it'll still recognizes your car going through the toll booth after reading your license plate number and you'll get an email telling you about it.

Some places in CA have license plate readers too (both as a backup and for people who don't have a transponder). I believe that if you have a transponder, and register your car, the fee will be the same even when the transponder doesn't work. You do pay more if you don't have one at all.

However, there are more than a few places where the toll either changes depending on the number of passengers in the vehicle (or carpool stickers), or that only allow e.g. cars with 3 or more and a flex transponder. I15 in San Diego is different as you can use it for free (without transponder) with 2+, or by yourself when using a transponder. That means it's impossible to charge based on the license plate.

For license plates is it electronic billing or paper/mail? That makes a difference in pricing in Texas.
Paper bill in the mail. Which is their justification as to the higher rate. They have to process the license plate reads, discover who owns the car through DMV records and generate/send a bill and process it all "manually". In this day and age though, I dont see how that all is not an automated process, but who am I to challenge the Government. :)

Just an FYI..
In south Florida we use SunPass and on another thread they indicated to put it in the glove box. I tried it and it worked perfectly. I checked the billing and it recorded the same as on the inside of the front window.

I used to rent an M3 during regular trips to Miami. The owner kept the SunPass in the bottom of the center console/bin and assured me it worked fine from there. Apparently it did as he sent me the printed invoice for my tolls.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung