Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optimize regenerative braking during auto pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love driving with navigate on autopilot on and can't wait for FSD 10.x to come out!

One feature I wish Tesla would incorporate is optimizing the braking during autopilot to fully use regen without the brakes at all. For example, when I'm coming up to a red light, the car continues to maintain a high speed and then rather suddenly and abruptly slows down using the brakes as I approach the light. I would love for the car to calculate how much distance is remaining until the stoplight and use only regen to slow the car down. This would increase the battery range because it would use regen more and minimize the wear on the brakes. In absence of this, I end up canceling autopilot often as I come up to a stop light and try to coast/regen to exactly the point where the car would stop without touching the brakes.

Thoughts?

As someone else suggested, changing the "follow" distance (is there a buzzword for that?) to 6 or 7 seems to decrease the behavior significantly for a better approach to a stop.

But now I'm finding myself using 3 settings - 1 or 2 for freeway rush hour; 3 or 4 for non-rush hour freeway; and 6 or 7 on secondary roads. Not particularly intuitive for a "smart" vehicle.

Of course, YMMV. 😁

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Good suggestion on changing the follow speed! It's a bit annoying to have to change it to 6-7 and then back down to 1-2, for a stop light, but I suppose that works. It seems like the car should be able to calculate the regen stopping distance automatically and 're-gen coast' to a stop. I guess it's a feature request :)

Reactions: lUtriaNt
i would use FSD more but its this braking that the op states that keeps me from using it. the main reason is the brake dust it generates! :p

when i do decide to use it on the interstate, ill increase follow speed to 5-6-7 car lengths so it slows down with regen and not hit the brakes hard like someone else mentioned above.

The braking on my Model 3 when in Autopilot is really poor - it's basically slams on the brakes at the last minute to come to a stop and then leaves an gap of a car length between the car in front. Not exactly how a human would drive who would brake more slowly and gradually and come to a slow halt behind the car in front.

Does anyone know if this behaviour has been changed with the latest regen braking in autopilot feature? Is anyone else having the same issue?

The braking on my Model 3 when in Autopilot is really poor - it's basically slams on the brakes at the last minute to come to a stop and then leaves an gap of a car length between the car in front. Not exactly how a human would drive who would brake more slowly and gradually and come to a slow halt behind the car in front.

Does anyone know if this behaviour has been changed with the latest regen braking in autopilot feature? Is anyone else having the same issue?
Well summarized. I have the same problem and that is exactly how I would describe it. Surely this same situation applies to other, or most, Tesla owners and I would like to hear their comments.

I love driving with navigate on autopilot on and can't wait for FSD 10.x to come out!

One feature I wish Tesla would incorporate is optimizing the braking during autopilot to fully use regen without the brakes at all. For example, when I'm coming up to a red light, the car continues to maintain a high speed and then rather suddenly and abruptly slows down using the brakes as I approach the light. I would love for the car to calculate how much distance is remaining until the stoplight and use only regen to slow the car down. This would increase the battery range because it would use regen more and minimize the wear on the brakes. In absence of this, I end up canceling autopilot often as I come up to a stop light and try to coast/regen to exactly the point where the car would stop without touching the brakes.

Thoughts?
Agree. I have the same problem. Do other owners have this same problem? Can it be corrected?