TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Optimized alignment results (happy)

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by zwede, May 24, 2014.

1. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

I chronicled my quest for the most energy efficient alignment settings here: Results of testing front toe-in vs energy usage

Today I went for a 30 mile drive. The car is a P85+ on the factory 21" tires, so energy usage tends to be higher than cars with 19's.

I did nothing to minimize energy usage. AC was on the whole time, ambient temp 28C/82F. I did 70-75 mph on the highway for 15 miles, and then 15 miles in town where I followed the general flow of traffic and stopped at a few lights. Again, no attempts at hypermiling whatsoever.

I was a bit surprised (and pleased) to see 255 Wh/mile at the end of the 30 miles.

20140524_115957_zps69205ca9.jpg

2. slipdrive

slipdrive Member

Got it from the Service Center a few hours ago, and apparently the car already had the camber bolts from factory delivery Aug 2013. So the camber was already around -1.2. BUT the left rear was toe out .40 (!), while right was -2 and was no doubt the cause of the early demise of a pair of Goodyear 19's. No idea how that may have happened, but it was a fact. Now both rears are properly at -0.21 toe in. Already I felt the difference on the drive home, and bit more "float and hunt" on the freeway. Steering on Sport setting is good. I'll be paying much closing attention to alignment...

3. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Zwede, what were your final alignment settings and what sort of Wh/mile would you have seen along that route before?

4. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

Toe is what impacts efficiency, and I ended up at 0.25 dgr toe-in at the rear and 0 toe front.

Hard to say exactly how much more energy it used before I started as weather has such a large impact and it has gotten warmer. I think I can confidently say I've gained 15%, and that's conservative. But my as-delivered alignment was off at 0.8 dgr toe-out in the rear (way out of spec).