Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optimized amount of range, in one hour.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ZoomsansVroom

Supporting Member
May 3, 2019
I no longer live in a building with charging. (They are working on it.)

As such, my only charging options in Miami Beach, are a garage with a $6/1 hour minimum charge, or one which is $15/day.

Both of which have 72kw superchargers.

How do I get the most amount of range in the one hour?

I have been charging at about 90-95 miles of range left. (My ‘22 3P will not display to percentage. I set it that way, but it keeps going back to miles)

I’m presuming I will get the most range if I run my battery as low as I can - but how much does it damage the battery if I run it down to say 15%, regularly?

I’m presuming I will get the most range if I run my battery as low as I can
This is a correct presumption on a faster supercharger. But your car should max out a 72kw supercharger to like 70% SoC or greater I think - so it probably doesn’t matter at all.
- but how much does it damage the battery if I run it down to say 15%, regularly?
Not at all.

As such, my only charging options in Miami Beach, are a garage with a $6/1 hour minimum charge, or one which is $15/day.
Aren't there L2 chargers around at various places, like Target, Whole Foods, local malls, etc.?
I’m presuming I will get the most range if I run my battery as low as I can - but how much does it damage the battery if I run it down to say 15%, regularly?
No damage, but if you charge up high and run down low, you'll increase cyclic degradation from large average depth of discharge, and calendar degradation from letting it sit at a high SoC.

Aren't there L2 chargers around at various places, like Target, Whole Foods, local malls, etc.?
There is a, usually broken, Blink charger at 39¢/kw near one coffee shop, but for publicly available ones, that’s it, TMK.

Hopefully, Tesla will bring out billing for L2 chargers soon.

One friend lives in a building which had blink chargers installed, which is an absurd thing to do, but management companies often rip off the building.

Both of which have 72kw superchargers.

How do I get the most amount of range in the one hour?

I have been charging at about 90-95 miles of range left. (My ‘22 3P will not display to percentage. I set it that way, but it keeps going back to miles)

Is your car CCS enabled? Is there a CCS charger nearby? I ask, becuase when I was at Great Mall in the San Jose, there was a giant bank of 72kw superchargers, but less then 50ft away was a group of 150kw EA chargers. I found in a couple urban areas that I visited or have rental properties in, CCS chargers seemed to be more convenient.

But to answer your question, if you are talking about a 72kw supercharger, you don't need to go down to 15%... Even at 30%, I can still pull 250kw with my Y at a v3. You should be able to max out a 72kw supercharger all the way up to like 50-55% SoC. At the said 72kw supercharger I mentioned earlier, I pulled in with 40% SoC, and it stayed pegged at 70kw. I got tired of waiting, so I sat in my car until a car at EA left, and switched over, and maxed out at 127kw. Especially since at the time, the 72kw supercharger was 65 cents kwh, and the EA charger was 31 cents kwh.