Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optimizing battery for supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently went on a trip with long range MX and was supercharging a bunch. As I was driving to a supercharger, I was notified that the "battery is being optimized for supercharging". It was automatic and I could not do anything about it. I charged, but noticed that an 80% charge went down from 318 miles to 287 miles - a decrease of 31 miles or ~10%. This was in AZ, so hot weather (meaning cold should not be a factor) and MX is 7 months old (so battery degradation should not be a factor). I cannot find a setting in the software to change it and cannot find anything in the user manual. Thoughts?

Recently went on a trip with long range MX and was supercharging a bunch. As I was driving to a supercharger, I was notified that the "battery is being optimized for supercharging". It was automatic and I could not do anything about it. I charged, but noticed that an 80% charge went down from 318 miles to 287 miles - a decrease of 31 miles or ~10%. This was in AZ, so hot weather (meaning cold should not be a factor) and MX is 7 months old (so battery degradation should not be a factor). I cannot find a setting in the software to change it and cannot find anything in the user manual. Thoughts?

Just find the address of the supercharger and put that in, instead of the supercharger off the list. I prefer it not prep the battery. I don’t need it to charge faster. So I do that all the time.

• Informative
Reactions: KentuckyX
I have seen that message when navigating to V3 charges but on V2 charges doesn’t show for some reason as far as ur range estimate where u looking at Trip app? If so that’s most likely based on ur driving habits prior to getting to that charger ..or are u talking about what shows on the IC?

Uhh, I'm lost. Why would you NOT want the system to prepare your batteries for supercharging??? Tesla's engineers go to all the trouble to create the software to optimize your battery charging and then you want to defeat it? What am I missing here?

If I just want more (or maximum) range added then I crank up the 'charge to' percentage while I'm at the supercharger.

Reactions: rob4448585
When did tesla start optimizing for supercharging? I have never seen that message, and I have gone to V2 and V3 superchargers.

been doing it for more than a year at least. It just heats up the battery if it's too cold... Not sure what the temperature level is where it starts, but I have had it come on when scanmytesla said the battery temp was in the 80 degree area and below.

Reactions: Stin121
So do all vehicles have this? I have a '17X. Just curious since I have never seen it. I am planning on supercharging this afternoon so I can check on the way.

I do always navigate to the supercharger.

not sure i bought my model 3 september 2019, and it has done it the entire time

*sugar* sorry man, I just realized this was in the MX forum.

So do all vehicles have this? I have a '17X. Just curious since I have never seen it. I am planning on supercharging this afternoon so I can check on the way.

I do always navigate to the supercharger.

My October 2017 build Model X does it ...
C447AB98-2B16-4C00-8B72-DE4B76DB0A19_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: Bigriver